Potomac HS Summer Newsletter
August 20, 2023
We are thrilled to welcome our Potomac Panther students back to the building tomorrow! We will open our doors at 7:00a and school begins at 7:25a. Please find a few additional Potomac Senior High School updates below:
+ SCHOOL DAY SCHEDULE: Our 1st day is a modified EVEN day with Advisory > 1st > 2nd > 4th > 6th Periods.
Student schedules are being communicated in 3 different ways:
1. Signage will be placed throughout the building with each student’s Advisory Period. Students will receive a final hardcopy of their full schedule tomorrow morning during Advisory.
2. Students can login to their StudentVUE account and view their schedule
3. Parents can login to their ParentVUE account and view their student’s schedule once the Back To School Packet is complete
Log into the ParentVue app, Select your student, and Select Class Schedule
+ STUDENT PASSWORDS: Reminder! PWCS passwords are valid for one year. For example, if you are a returning student and the last time that you reset your password was on August 15, 2022; that password would expire on August 15, 2023.
The password reset link is: http://studentpss.pwcs.edu. However, if your password expired over the Summer, you will not be able to reset it from home. You will have to wait until you are at school to reset it.
If you are trying to access your schedule for the new school year and your PWCS password is not working, another option is to have your parent or guardian log into their ParentVUE account. Parents with an active ParentVue account will be able to view the schedule in their app. If you are unable to access your parent's account, when you arrive at school on Monday, class rosters will be posted on the walls to help you locate your 1st block of the day.
Additional information about StudentVue/ParentVue accounts can be found here: https://potomachs.pwcs.edu/news/2023/08/studentvue_and_parentvue
+ TRANSPORTATION: Students/Parents are also able to review bus information by logging into StudentVUE or ParentVUE. Select “Student Info” on the lefthand menu and scroll down to “AM (or PM) Transportation Type” for the Bus #, Bus Stop Location, and Times. Download the HERE COMES THE BUS App, so you can track your bus in real time and receive push notifications regarding the status of your bus.
Transportation’s Late Bus Notification web page is now available for parents and schools too. The page will list buses that will be late 15 minutes or more.
+ DAY 1 DETAILS:
LUNCH: Start the year off with up-to-date student lunch accounts! Payments may be made using cash, check made payable to “PWCSFNS”, or credit card through “My School Bucks”. My School Bucks can be accessed HERE. Please visit THIS link for additional information regarding our free/reduced lunch program or to apply.
LAPTOP DISTRIBUTION: Every Potomac student will have the opportunity to check-out a laptop again this year during our Advisory periods over the week of school. It is expected that students have their laptop with them each day and students/families will be held responsible for appropriate use and damaged laptops.
- LAPTOP INSURANCE: We highly encourage each family to take advantage of the optional insurance being offered through a partnership with Securranty and Prince William County Public Schools. Families will be responsible for any damage, including accidental damage, that occurs to student laptops this year and this insurance coverage can help provide peace of mind. Please visit the Securranty website by clicking HERE for more information about this insurance policy and to purchase the insurance directly.
CELL PHONES: To limit distractions in the classroom and reinforce our schoolwide focus on learning, students will have limited access to their cell phones throughout the school day.
- Students will have access to their cell phones on the bus before/after school, during class changes, and during lunch while in the cafeteria.
- Students will not have access to their cell phones during instructional time either in the classroom or in the hallways.
Teachers will provide students with the opportunity to either place their cell phone in a designated location during class time or in their backpack, purse, etc. Once warned, if students access their cell phones during instructional time, teachers will contact Potomac Security who will secure the cell phone in the Security office. Student can retrieve their cell phone after school for the 1st offense; however, a parent/guardian will be required to pick up the student cell phone and the student will receive a disciplinary consequence for additional offenses.
We will be educating our students about these updated expectations during the 1st week of school.
+ STUDENT IMMUNIZATION UPDATE: Over the past several weeks, our school has reached out personally to parents of students requiring immunizations prior to the start of the 2023-2024 school year. As communicated, all requirements must be met by students in order to attend classes. If out of compliance, a copy of your student’s vaccine administration record must be emailed (StarliVC@PWCS.EDU), faxed (703-441-4497), or delivered to Potomac HS in order for your student to be able to attend school on Monday, August 21, 2023. Any student who does not have complete immunization records on file with the school will be removed from class and parents required to pick them up right away.
+ GET INVOLVED: Do you have ideas for student events? Want to provide feedback or ask questions about school activities or current instructional practices? Want regular updates on class events like Homecoming, Prom, Graduation, etc.? Please join our Potomac PTSO by using the QR code to the right or THIS link to pay yearly membership of $20/family or $10/faculty member and visit our 1st PTSO meeting on Thursday, September 21st at 7pm in the Library.
+ UPCOMING EVENTS:
- August 21: 1st Day of School
- August 24: Back To School Night
- September 21: PTSO Meeting (Potomac Library)
For more information on school news, upcoming events, and activities, please visit the Potomac HS website HERE.
Thank you and we look forward to welcoming our students back in-person TOMORROW!
Brandon Boles, Principal