What are Bath Salts?
- Bath Salts are a new type of drug containing one or more synthetic chemical related to cathinone.
- Cathinone is an amphetamine-like stimulant found naturally in the khat plant.
- Bath salts include active ingredients with chemical structures similar to cocaine.
How is the Drug Taken into the Body?
Bath Salts can be taken in a variety of ways:
Slang/Street Names for the Drug
- Blue Magic
- Arctic Blast
- Blue Silk
- White China
- Cloud 9
- Cotton Cloud
- Energizing Aromatherapy Powder
- Wicked X
- Lady Bubbles
- Ivory Wave
- Plant food/fertilizer
- Vanilla Sky
How Does the Drug Affect the Body?
i. Short Term Effects:
- A high heart rate
- High blood pressure
- Dilated pupils
- An increase in the risk for heart attacks
- An increase in risk for strokes
- Unusual sexual stimulation
- A loss of appetite
- Odd sleep patterns
- Erratic behavior
- Severe Depression
- A loss of coordination
- Heart problems
Signs of Abuse
- Increased body temperature or chills
- Reduced need for sleep or food
- Suicidal ideas
Dependence on Bath Salts can be both Physical and Psychological. Bath Salts are extremely addictive and there are typically no dosage instructions so people frequently overdose.