August 11, 2021
Bear Pro-Tip: Complete your Chromebook Forms in Skyward Family Access before school starts so your child can receive their computer or keep using one previously given to them!
Topics Included in this Newsletter
- Note from Mrs. Spencer
- Mark Your Calendars, Bears!
- SBISD Back to School Resources
- MUST DO: Verification of Enrollment Paperwork for Returning Students
- 7th Grade Immunizations
- Low Cost Physicals
- SBMS Yearbook Information
- SBMS Bear Camp
- Chromebook Paperwork, Insurance Payments and Deployment
- Bell Schedule for 2021-2022
- SBMS PTA Information for 2021-2022
- MySchool Bucks Information
Message from Mrs. Spencer
Hello, SBMS Bears!
The start of school is nearly here! Typically, you will receive a newsletter from me every Sunday with information for the week and weeks ahead. Sometimes I recycle information in case families missed it the previous newsletter but on most occasions there will be new information to present, as well. I will start this weekly newsletter the Sunday after the start to school, Sunday, August 22nd. In the meantime, my hope is that this edition of the newsletter helps prepare you for Bear Camp, Chromebook Deployment (Or continued use of a previously distributed device) and the start to school.
- Skyward Schedules: Schedules will be viewable to students and families through Family Access on August 12th. If you need directions for using Family Access, click here.
- 7th Grade Parents: Students in this grade level are required to have particular immunizations. If you have not submitted proof that these immunizations have occurred, your child will not be released to their first period and you will be notified. We began this work last spring but still have a few more who need to submit documentation that immunizations have been conducted.
- SBISD Annual Chromebook Responsible Use Policy Forms and Device Insurance: These forms must be done each and every school year. Please double check you have completed these forms in your annual enrollment verification forms in Skyward Family Access or you may complete them during Bear Camp on Friday, August 13th. Please note that Chromebook repair costs can add up, please consider signing up for insurance. You may purchase this insurance with cash at Bear Camp or through using the MySchoolBucks app. Please note that students will not be issued devices if this paperwork is not complete. Returning students need to complete this, as well. Please complete by Thursday, August 12th so our Bear Camp records are accurate. There will be a table at Bear Camp where you may verify completion of this paperwork to ensure your child is squared away.
Welcome to our new Bears! See you on the 13th for Bear Camp and on the 16th for the new school year!
Stefanie Spencer, Principal
Mark Your Calendars, Bears!
Mark your calendars for a few events, Bears:
- August 16th at 8:40 a.m.: Back to School Parent Meeting in the SBMS Library: Meet your Principal, Stefanie Spencer, and PTA President, Stephanie Pancioli, and learn about initiatives and work of SBMS and our awesome PTA! Please allow your students to walk to their classrooms independent of you; there will be a lot of helpers guiding our students!
- September 23rd at 6 p.m.: Back to School Night for SBMS: Travel your child's schedule and learn about what they will be learning this school year and hear tips for success from your child's teacher. Join us at the end of the evening for a meet and greet for new and returning families- meet the moms and dads of your student's new friends and meet some new for yourself, as well! Stay tuned for further details!
SBISD STRONG START Back to School
Chromebook Paperwork, Insurance & Distribution
Spring Branch Middle School continues to be a 1:1 school, whereby each student will be provided a school device. Many of our students were able to retain the device they were given last year so they could use them over the summer. For students new to SBMS and our sixth graders, we will deploy new devices during the latter part of the first week of school. Students who have not returned the required paperwork will not receive a device at that time.
All students, new and returning, will need to complete the required paperwork to be issued a chromebook, including the insurance paperwork If you have completed your enrollment verification for returning students through Skyward Family Access, you have likely completed the Reasonable Use Policy for Technology. We can verify this for you at Bear Camp.
We highly recommend accepting the insurance program at $25, even if that means you request to take part in a payment plan (please speak to your assistant principal if that is a need and it will be kept confidential). Chromebook expenses for repairs can add up, so getting the insurance can help. Insurance does not cover screens or cords, so take great care with both. Forms are in the link above (required paperwork) or within the Skyward Family Access forms and payment can be made through MySchoolBucks.
We will have a help table during Bear Camp so parents can check to be sure their paperwork is complete online or for those who wish to do the paperwork online. Resources for you to use at home made by SBMS and the district are available here.
In Need of a Physical for Athletics?
Memorial Hermann Memorial City Medical Center is offering comprehensive, low-cost physicals to all SBISD athletes. Physicals include:
- Height and weight
- Vision screening
- Blood pressure
- Medical history assessment
Physicals will be administered by primary care physicians, nurse practitioners, and physician assistants affiliated with Memorial Herman Memorial City Medical Center.
Physicals are $10 for middle school and high school athletes. Payment may be made by cash or check. No insurance will be accepted. Free physicals are available for athletes who qualify for reduced lunch programs.
Who: All qualified SBISD Athletes
When: Saturday, August 21, 2021 from 8 to 11 a.m.
Where: Northbrook Middle School (2020 Rosefield Dr, Houston, Texas 77080.
For more information, please call SBISD Athletics at 713-251-1200.
All volunteers must register online through the SBISD website every year and pass a criminal background check. Volunteers approved during the previous school year may volunteer through September 30 of the current school year. At that time, the system will reset and all volunteers must re-register before being allowed on campus. We strongly encourage all volunteers to register between July 1 and September 30.
Please allow 8-10 days for the criminal background check process to occur. Volunteers who provide a valid email address on their application will receive an automatic notification if approved to begin your service. Once you receive this e-mail, please either contact the program or campus where you want to provide support. A list of those contacts can be found here.
All volunteers must bring a valid, government issued photo ID when they visit or volunteer on campus to have it scanned into the Raptor6 system. Each time you are on campus thereafter, SBISD requires volunteers and visitors to check-in at the front office and wear a Raptor6 issued name badge.
Thank you for recognizing that the safety of our schools, our students and our volunteers is of the utmost importance!
By applying to be an SBISD volunteer, you agree to abide by the SBISD Volunteer Ethics and Guidelines.
Returning Student Verification of Enrollment Paperwork
Returning Student Registration:
- Click here for information and a link to Family Access in Skyward.
- Families are asked annually to confirm/update information for each child attending.
- Returning families can update online most information collected in a school’s 1st Day Packet through Family Access. If you do not have a Family Access account, please contact your school to set up an account.
- Parents are not required to print forms. Forms can be signed and submitted electronically.
- If you would like to print out the forms for your records, please ensure that Adobe Reader is installed on your device. This process can be completed on a PC, Tablet or smartphone browser.
- Please be sure to complete forms by clicking the submit button at the end of each form.
- Please make sure you complete the nurse's form so Mrs. Mulvey (step 4) knows all the pertinent information for your child.
SBMS 2021-22 Yearbook!
Yearbooks for the 2021/2022 school year are now on sale! Buy a yearbook and ad/tribute at tinyurl.com/sbmsyearbook before the price increases in September! Also, if you have any great photos from summer break this year, the yearbook staff would love those as well. You can upload photos for the yearbook staff using the Balfour Imageshare app on your phone. Instructions to log in can be found below. Note: there is NO upload code.
Journalism Teacher, Yearbook and Newspaper Adviser
Spring Branch Middle School
Bell Schedule for 2021-2022
At SBMS, students have a seven period day that begins with an advisory period we call Bear Pride Time. Bear Pride Time will cover the use of a weekly planner where students will learn Habits of Success in relationship to planning when to study, tracking their assignments , due dates and monitoring their grades. Additionally, they will have team building opportunities and participate in our Character Education program, Character Strong.
Mark Your Calendars: Bear Camp 2021!
Mark your calendars, New and Returning SBMS Bears!
Each year, SBMS hosts a Bear Camp to orient our new Bears on the layout of the building and the practices of the school. This is also an opportunity to help new students and their parents get organized and prepared for their middle school journey! The SBMS Bear Camp for next year’s 6th graders (and new students to 7th and 8th) will be held on August 13th according to the following schedule.
- 9:00-10:30 a.m.: New 6th-8th Graders with last names beginning with A-L
- 1:00-2:30 p.m.: New 6th-8th Graders with last names beginning with M-Z
Students will be provided the opportunity to tour the building and visit different stations that will help organize and prepare them to start school on Monday, August 16th: schedules, immunization/medical, chromebook paperwork and insurance payment, band/orchestra check-in, spirit gear, MySchoolBucks set up and a presentation by Mrs. Spencer (Building Principal) and Mr. Barry (6th Grade Assistant Principal). Parents are encouraged to attend to hear the presentation and visit each of the stations.
Parents are welcome and encouraged to come. As students tour the building, parents will be able to ask questions of administrators and hear tips for a successful middle school year.
Students returning to SBMS may come at the following time to pick up a schedule, complete chromebook paperwork, and buy spirit gear:
- 10:45-11:45 a.m.: All returning 7th and 8th graders
- 2:45-3:45 p.m.: All returning 7th and 8th graders
Required Vaccine Information for 7th Graders
If you have not provided an updated immunization record, your child may not receive access to their Skyward schedule for this school year until an updated immunization record is provided. Please send the updated record to Mercedes.firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 713-251-9472.
A Word from the SBMS PTA
SBMS PTA is looking forward to a fantastic new school year! The 2021-22 Executive Board has been busy over the summer planning for a “normal” year and we can’t wait to share everything with the entire SBMS community.
Please watch for emails about joining the PTA to help support our school needs throughout the year. Also coming soon is the Bear Pack (aka The Big Form). This will be filled with ways to update your directory details, buy spirit gear, donate specifically to the PTA committees you care about and more!
The PTA website is https://sbmspta.membershiptoolkit.com/ and will be updated regularly to help share information. Please also follow us on Instagram and Facebook at Spring Branch Middle School PTA.
During Bear Camp on August 13th, students and/or families can purchase spirit gear with cash, card or through the Bear Pack (aka The Big Form) as mentioned above.
If you have any questions or want to get involved, below are the PTA Executive Board contact details:
- President: Stephanie Pancioli (email@example.com)
- VP Long Range Planning: Jen Moss (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- VP Fundraising: Amy Reeves (email@example.com)
- VP Fundraising: Hilary Scarborough (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- VP Communications: Lorena Guilanshah (email@example.com)
- Treasurer: Lyn Greenwood (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Secretary: Molly Ferguson (email@example.com)
- Community Relations: Joy McCormack (Mccormackjoy@hotmail.com)
- Parliamentarian: Kelly Murphy (Kelmurph521@gmail.com)
MySchoolBucks: A Convenient Online Payment Solution
The Optional Technology Coverage charge is now live and ready for you to pay on the MySchoolBucks application.
Directions for Setting Up Your MySchoolBucks: (You may do this on your phone or on your computer)
1. Go to www.MySchoolBucks.com
2. Select Sign Up for Free.
3. Complete all fields in the form and select Create Account.
4. Select Continue to Add a Student. This is an important steps as it links your account to your respective school. Here is a helpful video: How To Add a Student
5. In the add student form, please select your child's school, first name, last name, birthdate and student ID (SBISD lunch number without the sb in front).
6. Select Find a Student. In the next screen, please validate that the child listed is correct. If correct, select Add Student.
7. On the next screen, you may either Add Another Student or Finish.
8. Once you receive word that our items are added to the store, you will be able to wander around and select the items you need for purchase!
Questions or you encounter difficulty? Please contact Stefanie Spencer (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Missed Last Week's Bear Bulletin?
Each Sunday, we will post an article with previous editions of the Bear Bulletin. Please click below by date and you may access previous editions: