Digging Deeper into Text Structures
All Teachers Grades 6-12
The SIEC is excited to offer an opportunity to support teachers as they explore ways to use text structure strategies in the classroom. Julie Monetta will be sharing a full day of helpful and highly relevant professional learning including an introduction to the 6 text structures with a method to make them comprehensible to students. Participants can expect to learn:
- Signal words that go with each structure
- Using text features to recognize author’s purpose, main text structure in an informational text
- Graphic organizers that pull out important details when making notes
- How to guide students with creating a planning outline before writing
- Using exemplars as models so students can more easily write essays, especially timed essays
- Applying learned techniques to newscasts and spoken articles which can be vital skills for learning how to make notes from spoken curriculum and speeches
For both English and Content Area teachers, it has become more and more important to help students learn how to comprehend and pull important information out of expository text. All elements of the workshop day also is beneficial to preparing all students for success with state standardized assessments.
Interested and wanting to learn more? Register today for this upcoming workshop on September 19, 2017 at the Huntingburg Event Center.
Tuesday, Sep. 19th, 9am-3pm
Southern Indiana Education Center 1102 Tree Lane Drive, Jasper, IN 47546
*All times are Eastern time zone.
*Lunch is included in the registration for both days.
*Each participant will receive a certificate for 6 Professional Growth Points.
*All participants should bring a laptop to use during the session.
*Registration fee is $75 per person for ESC members ($100 nonmembers)
*See registration link below.