Rental & Housing Assistance

Rental and Housing Assistance

Families needing help with housing or rental assistance, should contact 211info. Here are the ways to contact them:

Be persistent calling 211, they can only tell you what is available at the time you call. If you are homeless, please identify yourself as such and check JOIN info below.

Multnomah County Restriction on Evictions: Multnomah County residents cannot be evicted for not paying rent during the entire time the county and city are under a state of emergency. This applies to anyone with substantial loss of income due to COVID-19 by way of job loss, job closure, reduction in work hours, missing work due to a child’s school closure, and missing work due to sickness or the illness of a family member. Rent owed to a landlord will continue to accrue during the state of emergency, but without late fees. There will be a six-month repayment grace period, which will begin as soon as the state of emergency ends. As of right now, this is in effect until December 31, with possible extensions. Renters must notify their landlords the day before rent is due. The Governor has also issued a moratorium on foreclosures until December 31.

Multnomah County COVID-19 Rent Relief Fund Program | Website

Dial 2-1-1 or 503-222-5555

The COVID-19 Rent Relief program may be able to provide assistance to households who have experienced a loss of income, or who have increased health risks or needs, due to COVID-19. Income-eligible households can receive up to 3 months of assistance in past, current and future rent payments. To get started, call 211, text your zip code to 898211 (TXT211) or send an email to

Community Action

Assistance available for rent payment and utilities. Find out more here

Homeless Shelters

Here is a directory of homeless shelters in Portland. Individuals experiencing homelessness can access these shelters and other services during this time including additional space being opened up at the Oregon Convention Center, Mt. Scott Community Center, and many shelters are issuing hotel vouchers for homeless individuals who are experiencing symptoms of Coronavirus.

For help paying rent, some available resources are:


Home Forward’s STRA Program

Impact NW

Neighborhood House

Home Forward works with community agencies to provide hotel vouchers, rent support, help with evictions and housing support for people at risk for homelessness. Offices are currently closed, but you can reach them by phone or email: (503) 802-8300 or

Short-Term Help Paying Rent

JOIN has opened the first of 3 temporary outdoor emergency shelters. Each location has 45 tents on platforms with cots and will be able to store their belongings while staying at the camp. Two shelters are located at SE Main St. and SE Water Ave, and one is located at NW Broadway and NW Hoyt St. More information and help is available through Blanchet House

If you have lost housing, are doubled-up with another family due to economic hardship, living in a motel or community shelter, park, car or campground and need assistance, please contact the Gresham-Barlow Federal Programs office at 503-261-4579 or