May 21, 2021
CONGRATULATIONS, NATIONAL JUNIOR HONOR SOCIETY INDUCTEES!
The Tamanend chapter of the National Junior Honor Society inducted new members for 2021 at ceremonies on Wednesday, May 19th and Thursday, May 20th. The National Junior Honor Society recognizes students who have demonstrated the guiding principles of the organization: scholarship. leadership, service, character, and citizenship. Congratulations to these new 8th and 9th grade members on their achievements! We look forward to working with these students on service opportunities during the rest of their time at Tamanend.
CALENDAR ITEMS TO NOTE
Registration Opens for CB Summer Fun Programs--Monday, May 17 (details below)
Extended Deadline to Order Tamanend Yearbook--Saturday, May 22 (details above)
Deadline to Submit Photos for Freshman Class Video--Wednesday, May 26 (details below)
Move-Up Day at CB South for Current 9th Graders--Thursday, May 27 @ 9:00 AM (details below)
Keystone Exams (for Students Taking Algebra*)--Tuesday, June 1
*Please see details below regarding students who are eligible to take the Keystones this year.
Freshman Celebration--Friday, June 4 at 7:30 PM (details below)
Freshman Day--Wednesday, June 9 during school day (details below)
Principal's Awards Ceremonies--Monday, June 7; 7th Grade Ceremony @ 6:00 PM, 8th Grade Ceremony @ 7:00 PM; 9th Grade Ceremony @ 8:00 PM
Early Dismissal--Thursday, June 10 (students dismissed at 10:45)
Final Awards/Closing Ceremony--Friday, June 11 during school day
Last Day of School (early dismissal at 10:45)--Friday, June 11
- Please be sure all student-athletes and families are following protocols outlined in the health and safety plan.
- For information on how the recently passed modified quarantine impacts student-athletes, please refer to the letter that was sent via email to parents/guardians of all current athletes on Thursday, April 15th.
- The daily screening for Spring sports can be found HERE. Student-athletes must complete this survey each day they have a tryout, practice, or game.
- Students are reminded that attending games as spectators is not permitted this year. The only spectators allowed at games are players’ family members. Thank you for your cooperation with this, and we look forward to hopefully having spectators at games next year.
- REMINDER: Please keep in mind that students must go home at the end of the school day. It is the responsibility of the student-athlete and parent/guardian to coordinate transportation back to school on days of practices/games, as well as for away games.
FROM CB SOUTH:
- Current 8th and 9th grade girls interested in playing soccer at CB South are invited to attend voluntary workouts that will be held on Mondays and Wednesdays (May 17, 19, 25 and June 7, 9) from 3:30-5:00 on South’s grass soccer fields along Bristol Road. Please direct any questions to Coach Moriarty (AMORIARTY@CBSD.ORG).”
- For anyone interested in trying out for the CB South Golf team there will be an Informational Meeting held virtually on Thursday, May 27th at 3pm. Please email Coach Tom Hill at firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and grade level (grades 9-12 during 21-22 school year are eligible). You will then be sent a Teams meeting link to participate.
- Girls 8th grade softball: Tournament Semi-final vs. Lenape @ Lenape (A; 3:15)
- Boys 8th grade baseball: Tournament Semi-final vs. Unami @ Lenape (A; 3:15)
- Girls 8th grade soccer: Tournament Semi-final vs. Holicong @ Tamanend (H; 3:15)
- Boys lacrosse: Tournament Semi-final vs. Holicong @ Holicong (A; 3:15)
- Girls 8th Grade Softball: Tournament Championship vs. TBD @ Lenape (Away; 3:15) **if qualifying**
- Boys 8th Grade Baseball: Tournament Championship vs. TBD @ Lenape (Away; 3:15) **if qualifying**
- Boys/Girls Varsity Track Championships @ Tohickon (Away; 2:30)
- Girls 8th Grade soccer: Tournament Championship vs. TBD @ CB West Pettine Complex (Away; 3:15) **if qualifying**
- Boys lacrosse: Tournament Championship vs. TBD @ CB West Pettine Complex (Away; 3:15) **if qualifying**
- No Contests
UPCOMING TAMANEND EVENTS
The Last Day to Order a Tamanend Yearbook is Saturday, May 22!
We are very excited that in a few weeks we will be unveiling the 2021. If you have not yet ordered a yearbook, this is your FINAL CHANCE! We will NOT be receiving extra yearbooks at the end of this school year to purchase, so this is your LAST CHANCE to order one if you want one. We have extended the deadline for last minute orders since no extras will be ordered and delivered. You can go to Tamanend Middle School Warrington, PA Products - Graduation Products from Jostens any time between May 10th to May 22nd. The sales will officially close on Saturday, May 22nd! Don’t miss this extended opportunity as there will not be a way to purchase a Tamanend yearbook after May 22nd. Please note that 9th Graders do NOT receive free yearbooks. If a 9th grader would like a yearbook, it must be ordered on Jostens site by May 22nd!
If you are experiencing a financial hardship at this time and you would like to purchase a yearbook, please email one of the following staff members so that we may assist you:
Brian Caughie (Principal) email@example.com
Jeff Klein (Guidance Counselor) firstname.lastname@example.org
Andrea Consoletti (Guidance Administrative Assistant email@example.com
Mandy Cammann (Guidance Counselor) firstname.lastname@example.org
Lauren Myrtetus (Certified School Nurse) email@example.com
Kristen Gerth (Yearbook Co-Advisor) firstname.lastname@example.org
Laptop Collection for Current 9th Graders
Overview: The Technology and Innovation Department is preparing to collect all devices from students in grades K-6, 9, and 12. We hope this device helped your family with increased access to teaching and learning. The device is the property of the Central Bucks School District and must be returned to your building before your child goes home for the summer. Below are details about the collection of this device. Please read them carefully.
*Note: The Technology and Innovation Department will be using the summer to update and clean these devices for student use in the fall. Please work with us to return these promptly.
- You will be receiving an email from your building principal with more details on the date, time, and process for collection.
- Students attending in-person will be handing devices in at school during the week of June 7th.
- Virtual students will need to return the device on/after the last day to their home school. Your child’s home school will contact you with specific details regarding time and location.
- Please be sure your child is able to locate their device, charger, and pen (if applicable).
- Laptop bags do not need to be returned. Your child will be reusing this bag next year.
- If there are any technical issues with the device, please be sure to place a help desk ticket so we can resolve the issue prior to summer.
- All hotspots must be returned with the device (if applicable).
- Please remove any non-CBSD stickers or USB devices from laptops and iPads before returning.
Missing Accessories: Please go to MyPayments Plus to pay for items that you lost or damaged while in your possession. Bring a receipt with you as proof of payment. This receipt can be given to the office staff at your building.
- iPad users: It is important that you are returning the white brick (10w) and cable. *Note: iPhone charging blocks (5w) will not be accepted. These are smaller and do not have the correct wattage for charging an iPad appropriately.
- Laptop users: Your AC adapter must be a manufacturer-issued (Lenovo or HP) charging cable. Generic brands are not acceptable.
- Device Pens: All laptops must be returned with a pen.
Devices/Accessories not Returned: If a student does not return his/her device, hotspot, pen or charger a usage fee will be issued per student. Devices not returned will be disabled and unusable.Thank you for your support and understanding in helping to make this process as smooth as possible.
Reminder--Move-Up Day at CB South for Current 9th Grade Students
On Thursday, May 27th, our 9th Grade students will be taking a trip to CB South High School. We will be using CBSD buses to travel to South from 2nd period to 4th period. The time spent there will be in the Auditorium and the Gym, where students will be provided with important information about their 10th Grade year. Forms surveys have been sent to Online Only students in order to determine which online students would like to attend in person and which method of transportation they would like to use (i.e. CBSD buses or parent/guardian drop-off & pick-up). If you have any questions, or are Online Only and have not received a survey, please reach out to Mr. Dudley at email@example.com.
Reminder--Freshman Class Video
Reminder--Freshman Celebration--Friday, June 4 from 7:30 PM to 10:00 PM
Reminder--Freshman Day at Briarwood--Wednesday June 10 During School Day
Microsoft Office Update
On Friday, May 28th, the Technology and Innovation Department will begin forcing a new Office install to students in grades 7, 8, 10 and 11. This re-install will provide the latest Office features and enhancements to Central Bucks Windows 10 devices (Office Version 2102).
We wanted to inform you of this update due to a possibility of office applications closing or not being available for use during the install. Students can also re-install Office prior to May 28th by going to Company Portal, search for “Microsoft 365 for Students” and select install. Please confirm that Office files are saved to OneDrive so no data loss will occur, and that all Office applications are closed to aid in a successful install. Also remember that during the re-installation if the application is not available and is needed at that time, Office 365 on the web version is available to use while the installation completes.
Please Turn on Computers and Connect Them to the Internet Over Memorial Day Weekend
Please turn on computers and connect them to the internet over the Memorial Day Break. To assist with the May 28 Microsoft Office update, students should turn on computers and connect them to the internet at some point during Memorial Day weekend. This will ensure that the re-installation is completed before student return to school on Tuesday, June 1st.
Escape STEP Club Activity
Earlier this school year, the Pennsylvania State Legislature passed Senate Bill 1216, making several revisions for previous legislation regarding state assessments and graduation requirements. This message serves to inform our families of these legislative revisions and to provide clarity around the implications for your children. Please watch the informational video, Keystone Exam and Graduation Requirements: Update to Middle School Families if you have not already done so. The Keystone Exam at Tamanend will be administered on June 1, 2021.
Students Enrolled in Algebra in 2019-2020
Any student who was enrolled in Algebra 1 or Algebra 1B and was scheduled to take the Algebra Keystone Exam in Spring of 2020, is considered the Spring 2020 cohort. Students in the Spring 2020 cohort are not required to “make-up” the exam. According to the legislation and guidance from the PA Department of Education, these students have been deemed “proficient” if they passed the course last Spring. Central Bucks will not be rostering any students in the Spring 2020 cohort to take the Algebra Keystone Exam this school year. However, any parent wishing for their child to take the exam may do so by completing this form by May 7th. The Pennsylvania Department of Education requires students who take the Algebra 1 Keystone to complete the assessment in the building.
Students Enrolled in Algebra in 2020-2021
All students who are taking Algebra 1 or Algebra 1B this school year are required to take the Algebra Keystone exam this Spring. However, parents of children enrolled in a Keystone exam course during the 2020-2021 school year may choose to opt-out of the exam. If a family chooses to opt-out of the exam, they must notify the school in writing of their desire to do so following the process outlined on the CBSD Assessment Webpage by May 7th. The Pennsylvania Department of Education requires students who take the Algebra 1 Keystone to complete the assessment in the building.
Reminder--Tamanend Spirit Gear is Here!
Looking for some Tamanend gear? Here are the current opportunities to order Tamanend Spirit Wear:
Tamanend Spirit Wear from Caldwells in Doylestown
Reminder--Join the Wellness/Snack Break Social 10:35--10:55 Daily
Hello! Are you looking for a way to connect with other kids from school while you are learning from home in the virtual setting? Mrs. Cammann is hosting a Wellness/Snack Break Social time each day from 10:35-10:55 during the virtual and hybrid learning models. Students are invited to join in to share some conversation and be connected with students across all grades. On Wednesdays, we will have games and trivia during this time! You are welcome to participate daily or pop in occasionally - no pressure. Maybe you will even get to know some new faces! Just click the link below to take part, socialize, and participate, while using our Tamanend ROAR to respect and include each other in this group. Enjoy your snack and unwind with us at 10:35 any day. Hope to see you there! Click here to join the meeting
Are you interested in global issues and news? Do you want to get involved in helping people in your community and around the globe? Join the Tamanend UNICEF Unite Club. This club was started this year and the purpose of this club is serve as a space to discuss global issues, engage students, help students use their voice to enforce positive change, make better thinkers and communicators, and much more. Students will have the opportunity to learn about child protection, education, water, sanitation and hygiene which may align with certain areas of study, allowing for a more insightful, understanding life outside of the classroom. The club will also provide students with an opportunity to gain leadership positions on campus. Through fundraising, awareness, and community service, we will be able to help the millions of children who need our help. Please fill out this interest form https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=j0gLqp78hUGl4zhCIN8jyiSa13bnl15Kgt4n4oFy81FURjJUTThYNlM2M0xTN0pWNFU5MzNWUE9OQy4u if you are interested in the club. Meetings will be once every two weeks virtually A date for our first meeting will be sent out to those interested soon! If you have any questions feel free to contact Kalidindi.H055@student.cbsd.org , EORINSKI@cbsd.org , or AHIGGINS@cbsd.org.
Reminder--Mock Trial Team for 9th Graders
Do you want to improve your speaking and analysis skills? Do you like exploring legal issues of everyday events? Or, just want to spend some time hanging out with Mr. Sterner and Mr. Heisey? We are pleased to offer the Mock Trial Club at Tamamend for any interested 9th graders. It’s a great way to learn about the legal profession and debate your way through an actual case as either a lawyer or a witness, as well as build your skills for future participation and competition at CB South. Please e-mail Mr. Heisey (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Mr. Sterner (email@example.com) if you are interested. Thank you!
Reminder--Tamanend Today Club
While we can’t currently run Tamanend Today, our live weekly TV show, we are still seeking interested students who enjoy broadcast media and video production. We have some ideas for production until we can go live again, and we would like your ideas for when we can go live. Until then, join us and be a part of producing meaningful, pre-recorded broadcasts and features. If media production is your thing, please reach out via e-mail to Mr. Sterner (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Mr. Landis (email@example.com) to be part of our Tamanend Today Club! Thank you!
Changes to PA's COVID-19 Mitigation Orders
FROM OUR MUSIC DEPARTMENT
Updated CB Save the Music Concert Information
The CB Save the Music Concert is usually a weekend full of performances by CB Music Faculty and friends that has raised over $250,000 for the Save the Music Foundation since its inception in 2004. Though the annual concert could not be held normally this winter, the concert organizers have set a goal to raise $10,000 to support the Save the Music Foundation this year. There are several ways you can help them achieve this goal:
- Though t-shirt pre-sales have ended, we ordered a few extra. Please reach out to Mr. Sanchez if you missed the pre-order but are still interested in purchasing a shirt.
- Make a donation while enjoying an on-demand virtual concert presentation in June. The video will be released the first weekend in June. Stay tuned for details!
- Once again, Café with Soul in Doylestown is the Presenting Sponsor of the concert. One of the ways they are supporting the cause will be through a donation of a percentage of their profits to the Save the Music fundraising effort – stay tuned for more details and dates!
To see the latest updates about this year’s virtual concert, follow us on social media! If you have any questions about the CB Save the Music Concert, please reach out to Mr. Sanchez. Thanks for your support!
Reminder--CB Summer Music Camps
Reminder--Sign Up for CB South's Marching Titans (Open to Current 8th and 9th Graders)
The Central Bucks South Marching Titans will begin that 2021 season in just a few short weeks. All current 8th-11th graders interested in joining the original CBSMT should come to the first Spring Training practice on May 11th at 6pm in the CB South Music Wing to learn more about the Marching Titans. Time to join the family!
QUOTES AROUND TAMANEND
HELPFUL REMINDERS ABOUT TAMANEND PROCEDURES
Please report your child's absence in any of the following ways:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone (Attendance hotline): 267-893-2920
Reminder--Important Traffic Safety
Since the beginning or the year, our parent drop-off and pick-up traffic has improved tremendously, but we still need your help. There will soon be an increase in daily traffic as more students return to in-person learning. We must remember that WE HAVE STUDENTS WHO WALK TO SCHOOL. Recently, we've seen an increase in cars speeding on Stuckert Road. For the safety of our students, please maintain a 15 mph school zone speed limit in our parking lots and along Stuckert Road. Thanks for your help!
Reminder--Parent Drop-Off and Pick-Up
With the return of 5-day in-person schooling, there has been an increase in the number of car riders. Please remember the following important details when dropping off or picking up your child-
- You can only turn right into the parking lot, from the direction of Kelly Road. Do NOT attempt to make a left-hand turn into the parking lot during pick-up at the end of the day. If you come from Bristol Rd., please go past the school, turn around, and get in the car line.
- There are staggered dismissal times. The first is at 1:16 and the 2nd is at 1:21pm. It would be helpful to find out what time your child is dismissed from their 7th period class, so that you do not rush to get in line if they are let out at the 2nd dismissal time.
- Everyone has been able to exit the parking lot by 1:30 pm, so there is no need to rush. All students are let out between the Main Entrance and the Gym/Cafeteria Entrance, so students should not be walking down the sidewalk to your cars. This causes the line of traffic to stop and we need to keep everyone moving.
Thank you for your support!
FROM OUR GUIDANCE OFFICE
Reminder--Teen Mental Health Check In Group
This Edition of Guidance Sparks--Finding Purpose
Over the past several months, we have shared ideas on ways to help your children find their “Spark”. For some this is a longer journey than for others. Often connected to knowing what your passion is and understanding your “purpose”. In William Damon’s (2008) book The Path to Purpose, he states, “A purpose is a deeper reason for the immediate goals and motives that drive most daily behavior.” We see this often with today’s young entrepreneurs who feel a strong social responsibility (e.g., Bombas and Thrive Market, among others). As parents, you can facilitate discussions regarding purpose by taking the opportunity to: listen closely for the spark then encourage further discovery; take advantage of any time you have together to talk about their ideas on what is purpose; offer your own sense of purpose related to your life/career; nurture a positive outlook on life; impress upon children a sense of action connected to responsibility. Schools must work hand-in-hand with families in this effort as we emphasize the importance of our children becoming good citizens of our community and the world.
There will be more to follow on this topic. For comments or questions, please contact Ginny Barrett at email@example.com.
FROM OUR LIBRARY
Reminder--Tamanend Library is Here for All Your Reading Needs!
All students have full access to all books in the Tamanend Library and to SORA, our digital collection. If you would like to check out a book, please watch the following videos in your Library Canvas Course to see how to access both physical and digital books. Books will be delivered to classrooms for Hybrid students and Online students can pick their books up in the front lobby of Tamanend!
FROM OUR INNOVATION AND TECHNOLOGY DEPARTMENT
Reminder--9th-12th Grade Student Technology Toolkit
FROM OUR HEALTH OFFICE
Reminder--Required Dental Exams for 7th Graders
Reminder--Please Contact Our Nurse For COVID-Related Issues and Concerns
Please notify our Certified School Nurse, Lauren Myrtetus, if you, someone in your household or your student have been diagnosed with COVID or if your student has been identified as a close contact of someone who has been diagnosed with COVID. Also, please notify Mrs. Myrtetus if your student is ill and is being tested for COVID.
If your students needs to quarantine, he or she should report directly to the nurse’s office on his or her first day back to school for a temperature and symptom screening.
Mrs. Myrtetus is happy to answer any questions related to COVID.
CBSD’s Board of School Directors approved changes to the district’s health and safety plan, including implementation of modified quarantine protocols beginning on Monday, April 19, 2021. More details may be found on our website at www.cbsd.org/2020-21. Review updated questions and answers at www.cbsd.org/help.
Updated--What to Do If Your Child Is Sick
FROM OUR CAFETERIA
Reminder--Breakfast and Lunch is Available to ALL Students Free of Charge Through the Remainder of the 2020-2021 School Year
Reminder--Free & Reduced Lunch/Breakfast Application
UPCOMING DISTRICT & COMMUNITY EVENTS
Beat summer boredom! CBSD's community school is offering summer sports camps, mock trial, music & arts camps, and many other activities - register through MyPaymentsPlus at https://www2.mypaymentsplus.com/welcome beginning May 17!
RESOURCES AND ASSISTANCE
Help with Resources
If you are experiencing a financial hardship, please know that the staff members listed below can help you and your family. We can provide assistance with food, clothing, field trips, student fees, internet access, and other issues. Please don't hesitate to contact us:
Brian Caughie, Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Kyle Dudley, Assistant Principal email@example.com
Lauren Myrtetus, Certified School Nurse firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeff Klein, Guidance Counselor email@example.com
Mandy Cammann, Guidance Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Reminder--Bucks County Health Human Services Hub
Reminder--Shriner's Children's Pediatric Fracture and Sports Injury Care at Doylestown Hospital
Reminder--Food Pantry at Warrington Fellowship Church
Nominate a Tamanend Student for the Boomerang Youth Recognition Award
For those of you who are unfamiliar, the Boomerang Youth Recognition Award, it is a district-wide monthly program which recognizes and honors youth in our community for exemplifying and living by one of the chosen Developmental Assets®. These Developmental Assets were identified as a set of skills, experiences, relationships and behaviors that enable young people to develop into successful and contributing adults.
Nominations for May's Boomerang Asset are due by Friday, 05/28. The chosen for March is Asset #40: Positive View of Personal Future- Recognizing a young person who is optimistic about their personal future. Please submit your nomination through this link. Staff members who nominate students will wear jeans and their Boomerang pin to show their Boomerang Spirit on Tuesday, 06/01. Thank you in advance for your nomination
GETTING INVOLVED AND STAYING CONNECTED WITH TAMANEND
TMS Parent Council
Thursday, May 20th, 9am
This is an online event.
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (scrolling on TV screens during school day and posted on our website)
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: email@example.com
Oficina: (267) 893-2900