From the LifePlay Garden
Ready to grow?
Dear LifePlay families,
At this week's camp, The Art & Science of Gardening, your kids will
- develop their gardening skills
- dig into the amazing science of photosynthesis
- explore fractals and the Fibonacci sequence
- recognize the practice of gardening as a source for relaxation, mental focus, and natural exercise
develop skills in drawing, sculpting, and painting
All LifePlay programs are founded on a strong social and emotional development curriculum with a focus on personal accountability, confidence, empathetic thought, self-awareness, and more.
*scroll down for a detailed description of each day of camp *
What will happen at camp each day?
Each day starts with exercise, stretching, songs, and morning discussion. • Mornings are filled with rotations of outdoor group games, theatre games, free play, hooping for exercise, and gardening. • After a relaxing lunch, rotations offered are free play, science, art, and gardening. Each day ends with an afternoon discussion and wrap-up.
Boundaries & Growth (Fire)
herb gardens, personal growth, garden elements, plant and garden sign art
Relaxation & Reflection (Water)
water features, meditation, observing and tasting plants, clay sculpture
Resilience & Grace (Air)
succulents & flowers, yoga for strength and relaxation, photosynthesis, watercolor paintings
Safety & comfort (Sky)
composting and care, personal care and comfort, fractals, recycled art
Self discovery (Earth)
mini gardens and stones, self-awareness, Fibonacci sequence, drawing dream gardens
What do I need to know about camp this week?
2285 Murray Ridge Road, San Diego, 92123
Best number to call if you need to reach camp: 858.255.0820
Regular camp hours are from 8am - 3:30pm,
with the option of 6am - 8am and/or 3:30 - 6pm.
You can drop off and pick up any time.
You are required to show photo identification when you pick up your child.
Campers should come each day with the following:
- backpack for personal items
- morning snack
- afternoon snack
- water bottle
- sun protection (hat, sunglasses, sunscreen)
- thick towel
- yoga mat
Please do NOT send electronic devices or personal items that might cause trouble if lost.
Your kids will get dirty this week! Please send a change of clothes if you feel it best.
Who will be teaching my kids?
This week the following teachers will be working with your children at camp:
- Niko Waldschmidt • E3 supervisor / math and science specialist
- Artemis Xenakis • E3 specialist, visual arts specialist
- Brian Blum • children's gardening specialist, yoga instructor, circus teacher
- Cinthia Landau • children's hooping and gardening specialist
- Rebecca Lantry • E3 supervisor and drama specialist
- Deena Mobley • professional educator and E3 specialist
The LifePlay executive team will also be on hand all week to support your child's wonderful and positive experience at camp!
Ashley McGuire, Nicole Cantalupo, and Sarah Johnson