Excretory system Facts
By: Caroline, Simrun and Jacob
What is the Excretory System?
The system that gets rid of wastes from the body. For example, the system of organs that regulates the amount of water in the body and filters and eliminates from the blood the wastes produced by metabolism. The main organs of the excretory system are the kidneys, ureters, urethra, and urinary bladder.
Describe some issues that can occur if you don’t take care of this body system?
- Prostatitis- inflammation of the prostate gland
- Kidney failure- uncapability for the kidneys to dispose of waste
- Bladder syndrome-
- Kidney stones- a hard mass formed in the kidneys, typically consisting of insoluble calcium compounds, a renal calculus
- Urinary infection- is when a infection is an infection that affects the urinary tract
- Kidney inflammation- this disease can be identified by urine and blood test
Why is this body system important to your daily life?
- Gets rid of all the waste in your body
- Kidneys process urine
- The lungs breathe out carbon dioxide
- Diffusing urea and fluid through nephrons
- Stores urine
- Excretes urine through the urethra
How can you keep this body system healthy?
- Exercise to help your sweat glands
- Drink 8 glasses of water everyday
- Breathing exercises
- Eating a proper and nutritious diet
- Stay away from drugs
Excretory System Parts
- Kidney- two bean shaped organs located one on each side of the spinal column. They maintain water and electrolyte balance and filter waste products from the blood, which are excreted as urine
- Ureter- a muscular duct or tube conveying the urine from a kidney to the bladder
- Urinary Bladder- a membranous sac for temporary hold of urine
- Urea- occurring in urine and other body fluids as a product of protein metabolism.
- Renal Vein- Any of the veins that accompany the renal arteries and open at right angles into the vena cava at the level of the second lumbar vertebra
- Renal Artery- An artery with its origin in the aorta and with distribution to the kidney.
- Small intestine- further breaks down food particles and processes the liquid that flows from the stomach (which isn't technically part of the excretory system)
- Large intestine- main function is to reabsorbing water