RMS Knightly News
Week of October 10, 2022
Hello RMS Knights and Families
Our October Honor the Castle theme is "Celebrating Successes". This week’s Mindset Monday Message for the week of October 10th, states, “Remember to make time to celebrate your accomplishments, no matter how big or small”.
Click Here for this week's Mindset Monday Message.
FALL CONFERENCES: THURSDAY, OCTOBER 13TH
Our Fall conferences will take place this upcoming Thursday, October 13, 2022.
Conference times will include both afternoon (1pm-4pm) and evening options (5pm-8pm), as well as opportunities for either a virtual or face to face meeting session as follows:
Virtual Session 1: 1:00pm to 1:54pm
Virtual Session 2: 7:10pm-8:00pm
F2F Session 1: 2:05pm to 4:00pm
F2F Session 2: 5:00pm to 7:00pm
Registration is open now and closes at 3pm on Wednesday, October 12, 2022.
Face to Face conferences are by appointment only and you will meet with the teacher at their classroom at your appointment time.
Virtual appointments will be held using GoToMeeting. At your appointment time, you will receive the link to connect to the meeting at the email address you entered when booking the appointment.
You can sign up for conferences using this link: https://ps.fraser.misd.net/public.
- Once you sign in to PowerSchool with your parent account, you will see the applications icon in the upper right corner.
- To view instructions for using the SchoolSoft Conference Manager, click here: SchoolSoft Instructions.
- If you have no concerns with your child’s progress in a class, you do not have to schedule a conference with that teacher at this time.
- To sign up for fall conferences, you must have a PowerSchool parent account. If you do not have an account yet, please create one here: https://ps.fraser.misd.net/public.
- Problems accessing your PowerSchool account? Complete this form to request a conference with your student's teacher: https://form.jotform.com/222685096633059
Dentists R Us - October 26
Dentists R us is scheduled to visit RMS on Wednesday, October 26. If there is not enough interest, this visit may be cancelled.
Licensed Dentists & Dental Hygienists will be available to perform:
- Comprehensive Dental Exams
- Dental Cleaning
- Fluoride Treatments
- X-Rays (if needed)
- Sealants (when necessary)
Each participant will receive a free toothbrush and an oral health report will be sent home to parent/guardian.
Note: Students who had a cleaning within the last 6 months, are NOT eligible.
*Permission slips must be turned in to the Main Office before Friday, October 21, 2022.
2nd Step participation at RMS for the week of Oct. 10th Recap
Second Step Lesson 2 focus
Lesson 2 for 7th Grade recap:
Our 7th grade knights focused on how to learn from mistakes. When our students do difficult things, they may initially make mistakes and fail, but these mistakes can be chances to learn and grow.
Lesson 2 for 8th Grade recap:
Our 8th grade knights reflected on how they can use their personal strengths to develop an interest, skill, or ability.
The Knight Shift
The Knight Shift after-school homework club (designated Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:05pm-4:00pm in the media center)
The Knight Shift -“The time period after a long day of work to organize, to prepare, and to be ready for success!”
We are fortunate to have members of our student leadership groups from RMS and FHS to assist students who attend the Knight Shift with their assignments and projects.
All Noble Knights are invited to attend the Knight Shift…If they have:
- Homework assignment(s) to complete- Individual tables area
- A group project needs to be worked on - Collaboration stations area
- A quiet location to read - Flexible seating area
Available dates from 3:05pm - 4:00pm in October
Tuesday, October 11
Tuesday, October 18
Thursday, October 20
Tuesday, October 25
Thursday, October 27
The Knight Shift will be located in the Media Center and is a time and place for students to come and spend an additional hour on getting their work done or silently reading. Students will have access to a quiet space, internet, devices, and resources that may assist them with their work.
This time is monitored by Mr. Julian or Mrs. Skladanowski. Upon arrival - students will sign-in and will record what they are working on.
Remember, this is not a time to play games on iPads/phones or to come and socialize without working (working on a project with group members is encouraged). Off task students will be removed and will be unable to attend for the remainder of the session.
Knights interested in staying after-school on those designated Tuesday(s) and Thursday(s) must be in the Media Center by 3:05pm and should plan on staying until 3:55pm. All students who stay after-school would need a ride home as late buses are not available.
Outside Food and Beverage Policy
Outside food delivery is a safety concern. We do not want to have strangers and people that we do not know coming to our buildings with delivery bags. It also is a workload issue for office personnel. Managing multiple food deliveries during lunchtime becomes an additional responsibility for our office staff.
The District works hard to provide a variety of healthy, good-tasting food in its cafeterias, and students are always free to bring their own lunch to school. We will continue to follow our past practice of making sure students receive lunch if they forget to bring one from home.
September's Student of the Month
On Tuesday, we were able to pass out our September's student of Month Certificates and add our recipients poster to our Honoring the Castle display in the main commons area.
Supporting our 7th and 8th Grade Volleyball Knights
We are having great student and families turnout at our home volleyball games this season.
September's PBIS reward incentive
Our September PBIS reward incentive was outside sports and yard games for our Knights to play around the football field.
September's Student of the Month
Supporting our 7th and 8th Grade Volleyball Knights
RMS Clubs and Activities
RMS Soccer Club
Meeting Day: Tuesdays
Location: Room 231
Sponsor: Mr. Krynicki
- Bring athletic clothes to change into, your cleats and shin guards (if you have them)!
- No slide-tackling or ball-hogging: Soccer Club is for any RMS student NOT on Citizenship list...not just Soccer Superstars! 🙂
- We will warm-up a bit, then play a mini-game/scrimmage!
- You must have your own ride home.
- Make sure your ride is here no later than 4:30. We will play until about then.
- School Rules apply! Be Safe, Be Respectful, Be Responsible (and BE KIND!)
Meeting Day: Tuesday or Wednesday
Location: RMS Gym
Time: 7:15 – 7:50am
Sponsor: Mr. Brodi
Dates in October: 11th, 19th, 25th
- Open for all students who are not on the citizenship list
- We will be playing organized sports sometimes and open gym sometimes
- You must be in the gym by 7:15 because we must lock the doors after that.
- You will enter through Door # 37 by the gym
- You must show good sportsmanship, or you will be asked to leave
- You must participate - it will not be a place to hang-out
- You must bring your ID to participate
- HAVE FUN
AS A REMINDER, OUR STUDENTS MUST FOLLOW THE BELOW CRITERIA TO ATTEND OUR ATHLETIC EVENTS.
- October 11 - vs Algonquin Middle School (H), 7th Grade@3:30 and 8th Grade@5:30
- October 10 - vs L'Anse Creuse Middle School North (A)
- October 12 - vs L'Anse Creuse Middle School South (H) @4:00
- October 15 - Macomb County Championships (A)
To provide the most effective process for entering and exiting Richards Middle School, we need our families consistent help in observing the below traffic expectations:
- Our RMS bus loop is only to be used by emergency vehicles and our district’s school buses between the hours of 7:15 am through 4:00 pm.
- To help with our daily traffic flow, please follow our painted traffic arrows in our parking lot.
- In supporting our traffic flow for entering and exiting for all vehicles, please observe no standing, parking, waiting and stopping in the parking lot aisle ways.
- When exiting Richards Middle School at dismissal time, please utilize either our RMS Garfield exit, FHS Garfield exit or FHS Klein exit.
Please be aware of students, families and guests who are walking in our parking lots by obeying traffic laws, regulating your speed, and following the traffic direction arrows. Images can be found below. Please no parking or standing where you see a red x.
Our district security personnel will communicate these expectations to our families when needed. Thank you for your support with keeping RMS a safe travel area for everyone on campus.
PLEASE BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR ADDITIONAL SIGNS ALONG THE DROP OFF LANE TO HELP DIRECT TRAFFIC FLOW!
Here you will find information about the school, IDs, ordering yearbooks, school supplies, schedules, and more.
Dress Code Expectations
- Shorts/Dresses/Skirts must be longer than the students fingertip length with students' arms by their side.
- Undergarments, chest and midriffs must be covered and students are not permitted to wear spaghetti straps, muscle shirts with armpits visible, etc.
- No sagging of the pants or shorts
- No graphic, see-through or inappropriate saying on clothing (sexual comments, drugs, violence, etc.)
- No pajama wear - lounge pants, flannel pants, boxer shorts, slippers (shoes without hard soles) *unless permitted by a school function.
- No hats, bandanas/scarves (unless worn to support hair appropriately), and/or hoods up during the school day.
Change of Address Information
If you have recently moved, please complete the following form to update your address and upload the files needed for update: https://form.jotform.com/211594973642161
Attendance Line: (586) 439-7490 24 hour voicemail
Attendance/Counseling Office: (586) 439-7462
Attendance Office Hours: 7:15am - 3:15pm
Main Office Hours: 7:15am - 3:15pm
Main Office: (586) 439-7400 Fax: (586) 439-7461
***Please know we are always happy to meet with families,
however, we may not always be available when parents/families pop in. Please
set up an appointment with the main office.