By Megan L
(social phobia can also be called social anxiety)
WHAT IS SOCIAL PHOBIA?
Social Phobia is a type of anxiety problem that creates a extreme feeling of shyness and self-consciousness which builds powerful fears.
WHAT ARE SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF SOCIAL PHOBIA?
- Intense anxiety in social situations
- Avoidance of social situations
- Pounding heart
- Sweating and shaking
- Muscle tension
- Upset stomach
- difficulty with making eye contact
HOW DOES SOCIAL PHOBIA AFFECT SOMEONE?
Someone with social phobia could...
- feel lonely or disappointed over missed opportunities for friendship and fun
- could not get the most out of school
- could miss chances to share their talents and learn new skills
HOW IS SOCIAL PHOBIA DIAGNOSED?
The doctor will...
- use a physical exam to determine if there may be any physical things triggering your symptoms
- Ask you to describe your signs and symptoms, how often they occur and in what situations
- Review a list of situations to see if they make you anxious
- Have you fill out psychological questionnaires to help pinpoint a diagnosis
HOW IS SOCIAL PHOBIA TREATED?
- the person with social phobia can learn to manage fear. develop confidence, and can learn to use coping skills
- the person with social phobia can help you create a plan to face social fears and can help them build the skills and confidence to face their social fears
- in addition to the therapist, family and friends are key to facing their social fears because they can support and motivate them