January 29, 2018
Thank you Oak Harbor Community for the huge support Friday night for the Rockets!!
The Launch Pad was ROCKIN'!!!!
Join us for Coffee Connections ~ February 1, Noon at Taco Bell
District citizens are invited to join B-C-S Superintendent Guy Parmigian and Treasurer Cajon Keeton to attend a district coffee. Coffees provide an informal opportunity to introduce yourself, chat, ask questions, and learn more about the B-C-S school system and where we are heading. All district citizens are invited to attend. There are no reservations needed, and there is no cost to attend.
Tune in every Monday for #MakeADifferenceMonday where we will feature a stakeholder, student, or fellow alumni answering "Five questions for B-C-S"
This week B-C-S is featuring, RC Water's Assistant Principal, Angie Lipstraw!
1. What is your profession and how long have you been with B-C-S Local School
- My current position is the Assistant Principal at R.C. Waters Elementary. This is my 14th year working for the B-C-S Local School District. I taught second grade for 11 years and have worked in the elementary building since I was hired in 2004.
2. How do you build leadership in your school?
- Being optimistic and working collaboratively with our staff creates an environment of trust. It is truly about teamwork and we are committed to the success of our students.
3. What are some of your favorite events that RC Waters takes part in during the
- I enjoy our PBIS (Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports) program and coming up with student incentives throughout the year. We have a kick-off assembly for PBIS at the beginning of the year. The high school pep band, cheerleaders, Rowdy the Rocket, and even Batman joined us this year. Our students are enjoying the Bat-tastic Behavior theme this year. I am also excited about hosting our first Breakfast with a Loved One on Valentine's Day.
4. What are some of RC Waters biggest accomplishments?
- In November, R.C. Waters received a bronze award, from the Region 1 State Support Team, for our implementation of PBIS with a high degree of quality and fidelity. While at the conference, staff members attended breakout sessions to discover new ideas from other schools and districts in the state. Our staff is excited to incorporate the new ideas into our program. R.C. Waters has also earned several awards in the past including the School of Promise Award in 2013 and 2014, the High Progress School of Honor Award in 2013 and 2014, the 2014 National Blue Ribbon School, and the National Title I Distinguished School in 2015.
5. Where is the most interesting place you have been?
- The most interesting place I've been is Germany. In 2006, I was fortunate enough to join my husband on a business trip. It was interesting to learn about the history and culture, as well as seeing the castle in Dresden.
What's Going On At RC Waters Elementary?
Deputy Nye and K9 Diesel visit RC Waters!
Deputy Nye from the Ottawa County Sheriff's office brought his canine partner, Diesel, to visit the 3rd grade students. The students read a book about a canine officer and had many good questions for Deputy Nye.
This week at RC Waters!
Second grade challenge groups work on several different Reader's Theaters throughout the year. This helps increase their reading fluency as they practice the scripts several times. They enjoy performing the plays for their peers.
RC Waters is participating in The Great Kindness Challenge this week. I visited this 1st grade classroom while they were participating in a kindness circle.
Kindergarten students participated in fun, skills-based centers in phys ed and explored an ocean drum in music.
R.C. Waters Highlights Top Class Dojo Winners for the month of December
Kindergarten: (back, left to right) Evan Meier, Levi Glover, Thomas Mills, Garrison Strausbaugh, and Parker Wagner (front, left to right) Annabelle Toris, Caroline Avery, Amiya Portales, Noel McDonald, Sophia Martikan, and Natalie Lenke
First Grade: (left to right) JT Antesberger, Shelby Palmer, Harmony Johnson, Alena Vargas, Addy Gahler, and Zoe Wilson
Second Grade: (back, left to right) Skyler Schultz, Elizabeth Avery, Holden Hofacker, and Peyton Wildhart. (front, left to right) Caden Sindeldecker, Addison Laubacher, and Audrey Branum.
Third Grade (back, left to right) Aleigha Dusseau, Olivia Cherry, Alexis Hill, Hannah Clymer, Myley Sandwisch, Fischer Conn, and Isabella Rimboch (front, left to right) Aliviah Smith and Tabitha Roberts not pictured: Brayden Overmyer
What's Going On At Oak Harbor Middle School?
This week at OHMS!
Great day for solar car races! Taking advantage of the sunshine at OHMS!
6th Grade Rocket Pride Award Winners! Congratulations Students!
Fun Times in Wellness Class! OHMS Rocks!!
WHATS GOING ON AT OAK HARBOR HIGH SCHOOL?
Blood Drive at OHHS is scheduled for March 13, 2018 9 AM - 2:45 PM!
This week at OHHS!
Oak Harbor Rockets CAN do!!
McKenzie Huntebrinker signs her National Letter of Intent on Saturday, January 27th, in the Oak Harbor High School Media Center in order to continue her academic and soccer careers at the University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg. Congratulations and best of luck in the next phase!!
Thank you Croghan Colonial Bank and The Rocket Shop for donating t-shirts to the Rocket student section tonight! So cool!
Ticket to Success Program now offered at B-C-S Schools!
We are excited to announce that B-C-S Schools has brought the Ottawa County "Ticket to Success" program to Oak Harbor. The meetings are held every Monday from 3-5 pm at St. John's Lutheran church. The program provides transitional services for youth ages 14-21 to help them learn basic skills in meal planning, cooking, shopping, laundry, housing, budgeting and career planning as well as developing a plan for a successful future.
STAFF IF YOU FEEL THERE IS A STUDENT WHO WOULD BENEFIT FROM THIS PROGRAM, PLEASE MAKE REFERRALS TO ALISON!
ROCKET SPORTS HIGHLIGHTS!
- Congratulations to the wrestling team who won the Bellevue Invitational on Saturday, 1/20. 7th Graders who placed are: Owen Miller, 1st place, Hayden Buhro, 1st place, Broch Mansor, 3rd Place, Kenyon Atkinson, 4th place, and Gabe Natsheh, 3rd Place. Awesome job, guys!
- Congratulations to the Wrestling team o finishing 4th out of 44 schools in the Lima Wrestling Tournament. Placing for the grapplers were: Tyler Davis 3rd, Cam Dickman 3rd, Matthew Dewitz 5th, Tad Jensen 3rd, and Jacob Sage 6th
- 7th Grade Boys win 49-36 over Vermillion! Great Job boys!
- V Boys Basketball: Final Eastwood 46 Oak Harbor 53 Clay Schulte leads all scorers with 15 points for Oak Harbor. Rockets back in action Thursday when they travel to Willard.
- V Girls Basketball: Final in OT Oak Harbor 38 Willard 43 Harris leads OH with 16 points.
- Congrats Rocket wrestler Cam Dickman on career victory 100! Great job.
- V Boys Basketball Final Vermilion 55 Oak Harbor 38 Tate Smith scores 17 to pace Oak Harbor.
- Thank you to the @karbor_krazies, @OHRocketsCheer, OH basketball parents, OH community, Croghan Colonial Bank, The Rocket Shop, and all those who attended tonights game. An awesome atmosphere for our team.
- Logan Harris scored her 1000th career point in the first quarter of tonight’s home game against Vermilion! Congratulations on reaching the 1000 point plateau!
- Coach Tom Kontak gets career victory number 200 having coached 7 years at Genoa and now in his 5th year at Oak Harbor. His overall career coaching record now stands at 200-74. Thanks for all you do Coach Kontak!
- V Girls Basketball: Final Vermilion 43 Oak Harbor 55 Logan Harris leads all scorers with 24 points while Sophia Eli pours in 18. Head Coach Tom Kontak gets career win #200! Great job Lady Rockets!
- Congrats to the Men's and Women's swimming teams for a strong showing at the Northwest Ohio Aquatic Conference Championships. The Women's team finished 7th overall, while the Men's team placed 6th overall!
First new record board installed, still a lot of work to do to get the others finished, but will be a great addition to the OHHS hallways! Thank you Oak Harbor Athletic Boosters!
BENTON-CARROLL-SALEM LOCAL SCHOOL DISTRICT
WEEKLY SPORTS AND SCHOOL CALENDAR
WEEK OF 01/29/2018
Tuesday, January 30
4:30 PM H MS ~ Boys Basketball - Port Clinton - Home
4:30 PM A MS ~ Girls Basketball - Port Clinton - Away
5:00 PM AHS ~ Swimming & Diving - Perkins - Away
6:00 PM A HS ~ Girls Basketball - Woodmore – Away
Wednesday, January 31
HS ~ Varsity Wrestling - State Duals
Thursday, February 1
4:30 PM A HS ~ Boys Basketball - Willard - Away
4:30 PM A MS ~ Boys Basketball - Edison - Away
4:30 PM H MS ~ Girls Basketball - Edison - Home
Friday, February 2
6:00 PM A HS ~ Girls Basketball - Margaretta - Away
Saturday, February 3
8:30 AM A HS ~ Swimming & Diving - Port Clinton Gipe Relays - Away
10:00 AM A HS ~ JV Wrestling - Calvert Invite - Away
10:00 AM H MS ~ Wrestling - SBC - Home - HS Main Gym
5:00 PM A HS ~ Boys Basketball - Edison - Away-rescheduled from January 12th
The school district was founded on July 1, 1967 due to the consolidation of the Benton Township School District, the Carroll Township School District, and the Salem-Oak Harbor School District.Benton-Carroll-Salem Local School District, home of the Oak Harbor Rockets, serves 1700 students on three campuses: R.C. Waters Elementary School (Grades K--3), Oak Harbor Middle School (Grades 4--7), and Oak Harbor High School (Grades 8--12). The district is committed to serving the needs of all students to prepare them for the challenges of citizenship, the workforce, and life long learning.