The Many Artists of Bebop
Learn about the many artists who helped form bebop jazz
- Saxophonist & Songwriter
- Nicknamed "Bird" or "Yardbird"
- Co-invented bebop with Dizzy Gillespie
- Discovered his talents through lessons at public schools as a child
- Started off on the baritone horn, but later chose to learn the alto saxophone at the age of 15.
- In 1942, Dizzy Gillespie and Thelonious Monk saw Parker performing in Harlem and were impressed.
- Played alongside Gillespie for many years
- Went on a 6 week nightclub tour and invented bebop, the reaction to swing.
- Trumpet player, Singer & Songwriter
- Co-invented bebop with Charlie Parker
- Considered one of the first musicians to infuse Afro-Cuban, Caribbean and Brazilian rhythms with jazz
- Known for his "swollen" cheeks and uniquely angled trumpet bell
- Received the Kennedy Center Honors Award in 1990
- Pianist & Songwriter
- One of the first creators of modern jazz, as well as bebop
- Began studying piano at the age of eleven
- Won the weekly amateur competition as the Apollo Theater so many times that he was banned from re-entering
- Dropped out of school to pursue his music career
- Began working at the Minton Playhouse in Harlem, where he joined the house band and helped create bebop