Finding Those Hidden Treasures in Google Calendars
Adding Interesting Calendars
- Log in to your account
- Click on the 9 squares on the top right hand corner
- Click on Calendar
- On the left hand side, click on the drop down arrow next to "Other Calendars"
- Click on "Browse Interesting Calendars"
- Choose a type of calendar you would like to add to your calendar (Holidays, Sports, More)
- Subscribe to that particular calendar
- Click "Back to Calendar" and see that information placed on your calendar
- You can remove it from your calendar by going back through the previous steps and click "Unsubscribe" or click on the calendar name to remove and add as you desire
Creating a Quick Add Event
Daily Agenda Email
Interested in receiving an email with your list of appointments for the day? It's easy to do with Google Calendars.
- To enable this function, click the little gear in the top-right corner
- Click Settings
- Click Calendars tab
- Click on the specific calendar you are interested
- Click Edit notifications tab
- Scroll down and check the box next to Daily Agenda.
- You will now receive an email of the day's events from that calendar every morning at 5 a.m..
- Unfortunately, it does not appear that there is a way to alter times/days for the agenda emails
Creating a New Calendar
Calendar makes it easy to create a new calendar layer. Rather than adding all your events to one general calendar, this function allows you to isolate certain types of events (e.g. Work, Personal, Medical, or specific projects) and organize them into their own toggle-able, shareable sub-calendars nested in your My calendars section.
To create a new calendar:
- Click the arrow next to My calendars
- Create new calendar to prompt a pop-up screen
- Name your new calendar and set a calendar time zone
- Have the option to share this new calendar with specific people (who you can invite by email address)
- You can assign these people different privileges via the Permission Settings pull-down menu (e.g. the ability to just view the calendar, the ability to view and edit, or even the ability to share it with others).
Share Your Calendar
Want to share an existing calendar you have created?
- Under My Calendars, click the triangle next to the sub-calendar you'd like to share
- Click Share this Calendar
- Add the email addresses of individuals you wish to share this calendar
- Choose the privileges you wish to give to this person. (For example, view Free/Busy, View All Information)
Cool Calendar Treasures to Test
Want to try a few different features that Google is experimenting with in Google Calendars? You can only turn on and use these Labs on your computer or a mobile browser. *These Labs don't work on the Android or iPhone Calendar app.
- On your computer, open Google Calendar.
- In the top right corner, touch or click Settings > Labs.
- For any Labs you want to add, select Enable.
- At the bottom of the page, touch or click Save.