First Grade Newsletter
Upcoming Important Dates
- September 7: No School; Labor Day
- September 9: Ident-A-Kid
- September 14: No School; Optional Teacher Workday
- September 15, 5-7pm: Open House- This is a parent event. Parents attend to learn about the curriculum, homework, volunteering and other items of interest. There is PTA meeting to start and then parents will attend information sessions about their child's particular grade.
- September 17: Delayed Opening (2 hour delay for students)
- September 25: Fall Picture Day; Progress Reports go home
Teachers and students have also been working hard to assess student's reading abilities. We can't wait to finish gathering this information so that we can begin guided reading groups on each student's individual level and share with you how you can help support your child at home!
In the coming weeks, we will be working to increase our reading stamina. Each class will set the goal to be able to read independently for 20 minutes. We will start with 6 minutes and build our way up!
To enhance their interest the focus has been on the student. We have been writing about ourselves with writing prompts such as "What do I want to be when I grow up". We go on room hunts to search for words that start with specific letters. We are reviewing letter and word sounds. Many of our activities revolve around our class names and interests. These exercises and enjoyable activities serve as conditioning for more in depth writing.
Coming up . . . Pebbles, Sand, and Silt. We'll find out what's inside our Earth!