Huskies in the Know
Important Dates to Know
- MISD Colors for Caring Day - Monday, December 3
- Last Day to Collect Toys for Toys for Tots Grade Level Challenge - Monday, December 3
- MISD Toys for Tots - Wednesday, December 5; 5:00-10:00 PM, at the MISD Center for Performing Arts
- Progress Reports Posted in Skyward - Thursday, December 6
- Choir Concert - Thursday, December 6; 6:30 PM, at the Willie Pigg Auditorium
- Holiday Dress Up Days (themes to come soon) - December 10 - December 20
- Band Concert - Wednesday, December 12; 6:00 PM at the Center for Performing Arts
- End of the 3rd Grading Period/1st Semester - Thursday, December 20
- Last Day of School before the Winter Break - Thursday, December 20
- Student Holiday/Teacher Workday - Friday, December 21
- Winter Holiday Break - December 21-January 7
- School Resumes/2nd Semester Begins - Tuesday, January 8
Toys for Tots Grade Level Challenge
Monday is the last day for our students to bring a toy to donate for our Toys for Tots Grade Level Challenge! Students can bring their toys to one of their teachers and/or there will be bins marked by grade level in the reception area at school.
The winning grade level will get the following privileges:
- A day to sit wherever they want in the cafeteria for lunch
- An hour extra recess together as a grade level (not split up in teams)
- Holiday flair to wear on their TOGO Card Lanyard
Last count has 5th grade now in the lead by a LARGE amount, but 6th grade can still catch up to them on Monday!!!
Holiday BINGO for the staff - we need your help!
If you know or work for of any business or restaurant that would be wiling to donates gift cards ranging from $5-$20, and/or any items they are willing to donate, that would be greatly appreciated!
You can bring donated Gift Cards/Items to the front office by Monday, December 17, and tell them that it is for Staff BINGO. If the business needs a letter for tax purposes, we have those to give to them.
Thank you in advance for anything you can donate to make it a GREAT Day for our staff!
Mental Mondays During Husky Time
The first Monday of each month is designated as Mental Mondays during Husky Time. On these Mondays, the teachers will focus on certain topics such as leadership, acceptance, being grateful, giving back, etc.
This Monday, the topic is "12 Days of Kindness." Part of our Capturing Kids' Hearts process is to learn that being kind and doing things for others builds relational capacity.
- Read and discuss the article, "What Do You Get From Giving?"
- Watch and discuss the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUhCucpRuX8
- Students will be given a sheet with "12 Days of Kindness that they are encouraged to complete from December 4-December 19.
- Students who complete the "12 Days of Kindness" will get their sheet along with their picture displayed on our walls outside the front office. They will also receive a piece of FLAIR for their lanyard.
Ask to see your child's "12 Days of Kindness" sheet, and enjoy completing some of these acts together.
What Do You Get From Giving?
Article the students will read and discuss.
12 Days of Kindness
12 Days of Kindness sheet that is due on Wedesday, December 19.
Progress Report Grades in Skyward
- Progress Report Grades for the 3rd grading period will be posted in Skyward on Thursday, December 6.
- Contact your child's teacher(s) if you have questions or concerns about your child's grades.
5th Grade Field Trip to Casa Manana Theater
On Thursday, February 7, our 5th grade students will be going to see the drama, “The Emperors Groovy New Clothes," at the Casa Manana Theater in Fort Worth. All 3 forms below and the $10.00 cover your child’s admission into the venue and transportation must be submitted in order for your child to attend the field trip.
You have 2 payment options:
- You may pay online at https://ticketracker.com/store/item?catalogItemId=14965 no later than Wednesday, December 12th
- You may pay by cash or check no later than Wednesday, December 19th. Please make sure to make checks payable to “Della Icenhower Intermediate” or “DIIS”.
Students will be eating lunch at Trinity Park located near the theater after the play. They have the option to either bring their lunch or order a sack lunch from the cafeteria.
Extended Library Hours on Mondays for Students and Parents
As a part of our Book Initiative to get more books in the hands of our students and/or to make books more accessible, the Icenhower Library will have Extended Library Hours one day a week for our students and their parents to come check out books, to read and/or to and use the resources in the Library.
Students MUST be accompanied by an adult during these extended hours. If a student arrives without an adult, then the student will not be allowed to stay.
Building our Classroom Libraries!
Our students were so excited to get their hands on the 490 new books our teachers purchased for their classroom libraries!! Please keep supporting our reading initiative!!! It is not too late to join PTA and/or to donate books to your child's Language Arts teacher!
Attention 5th Grade Parents - STEM Academy Information
If you would like to learn more about the application process for the Jerry Knight STEM Academy please attend one of the following information sessions. It is beneficial to bring your 5th grader to the session. All sessions will be held at the Jerry Knight STEM Academy - 1524 N Walnut Creek Drive, Mansfield Texas.
Session 5 – Thursday 11/29/18 6:00 pm
The application window for the 2019-2020 school year will open December 3, 2018 and closes January 11, 2019. It is important that you attend one of the above sessions prior to applying. For more information about JKSA please visit www.mansfieldisd.org/STEMAcademy
Victoria Webster, M.Ed.
Jerry Knight STEM Academy
School-Wide Reading Initiative!
Icenhower will be embarking on a School-Wide Reading Initiative where all student will be required to read a certain amount of books from several genres for the school year (more to come on this exciting adventure)!
Our teachers are building their classroom libraries to give students a wide variety of books to choose from, and any books you no longer use would be greatly appreciated!
You can drop off your donated books in either the front office or give them to your child's Language Arts teacher!
Arrival and Dismissal Procedures
Please follow the arrival and dismissal procedures. Parent drop off and pick up is in the FRONT this year, and these procedures MUST be followed to ensure the safety of our students and staff. Everything will go much smoother if everyone follows the correct procedures! Dropping your child off on Collins and/or in the drive to the front is NOT safe!!!!
Students arriving prior to 8:00am are outside and unsupervised until 8:00am. At 8:00am, students enter the building and report to the gym or to the cafeteria for breakfast. The tardy bell rings at 8:30. Students not in class at this time will report to the office and sign-in as “tardy to school.”
Friendly Reminder about Students Arriving Before 8:00 AM
Several students are arriving VERY early each morning, and they are causing disruptions in front of the school. They are bringing outside balls and play equipment that is NOT allowed.
Icenhower staff begins their duty day at 8:00 AM. Students who are dropped off before 8:00 AM will not be supervised.
The school day ends at 4:00 PM. Please make sure your student is picked up in a timely manner.
No Messages Will be Delivered After 3:00 PM
We understand that emergency situations can come up, and those will be handled accordingly.
MISD Volunteer Application for the 18-19 School Year!!
Anyone wishing to volunteer and/or attend events at Icenhower must complete the Volunteer Application for the 2018-2019 school year. This includes field trips, class parties, PTA Socials and Field Day.
Parents that have more than one student at multiple campuses, only need to complete one application.
Please use the link below to fill out the application! It takes just a few minutes, and you MUST be on the approved list if you would like to attend any events listed above.
College and Career Wednesdays
How to Stay In the Know!
- Remind 101- text @ek7gga to 81010
- Follow Icenhower Intermediate on Twitter @huskyproud
- Like us on Facebook at Icenhower Intermediate
- Visit our website at https://www.mansfieldisd.org/page.cfm?p=3182
- Follow us on Instagram @huskyproud
- Weekly Newsletter
- Skyward Email Blasts
- Communication with the teachers
Icenhower Remind 101
Icenhower - The Greatest Show!
Icenhower - The GREATEST SHOW!
Our theme this year revolves around the movie, The Greatest Showman, which is anyone, no matter their background, can rise up and find success if only they combine enough imagination, determination, and grit.
This is ME!
Our theme for this year is This is ME - creating a culture of kindness, diversity and acceptance of who we are as individuals and acceptance of others.
Icenhower - The GREATEST SHOW!
This is ME!
"But I won’t let them break me down to dust
I know that there’s a place for us (…)
When the sharpest words wanna cut me down
I’m gonna send a flood, gonna drown them out
I am brave, I am bruised
I am who I’m meant to be, this is me!"