Week 18: Peer to Peer Chat
Collaborating. Growing. Reflecting.
Ideas for Your Classroom in 2016
Try Something New
Reader’s Theater – Allow your students to perform stories through fun Reader’s Theater. Students enjoy them and it’s a great way to have the stories come alive! Dr. Chase Young is one of our favorite sites to use for Reader’s Theater scripts.
Using Music – Using music as a morning greeting, for transitions and for the end of the day can make a huge difference in your classroom. Students might also enjoy soft music in the background while they work.
Here are a few of our favorite tunes to use during different times of the day:
- These are Days by 10,000 Maniacs
- Walking on Sunshine by Katrina and the Waves
- Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison
To Build Community:
- The Muppet Show theme song
- Friends theme song
- Don’t Stop Believin’ by Journey
- Read It In Books by Echo and the Bunnyman for Reading
- Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious for Spelling
- I’m Gonna Sit Write Down and Write Myself a Letter by Nat King Cole for Writing
- 867-5309 by Tommy Tutone for Math
- Weird Science by Oingo Boingo for Science
- America by Neil Diamond for Social Studies
- Eat It by Weird Al Lunch time
- Who Let the Dogs Out by Baha Men for Recess
- Outside (feat. Ellie Goudling) by Calvin Harris
- Read more
Think about other ideas you might add this year that could motivate your students as they return from winter break.
Mentor Text Booklist for Reading & Writing
If you are looking for a list of books to use as mentor texts that are suggested for specific strategies (ex: Napping House good for teaching Cause and Effect) check out this booklist.
The 30 Day Happy Teacher Challenge
Saw this on social media (shared by an AISD teacher), and thought I'd pass along this Happy Teacher Challenge! Enjoy!
27 Useful Dollar Store Finds (for Teachers Too)
As you return in the new year and reorganization is on your mind, you might want to check out these tips. Although it's geared towards parents, there are some great ideas for use in the classroom as well.