FAC Weekly Update
October 30, 2020
Good morning, Fine Arts Center Family
I hope you had a wonderful week, and that this update finds you and your family safe and sound after the storm.
Please be sure to keep an eye on the calendar for next week. We have school on Monday, are off on Tuesday for Election Day, and are back in-person on Wednesday and Thursday. Friday is an eLearning day, as usual. Also please note - we are committed to keeping the school environment normal next week. Elections are always emotional times for the country, and this is particularly true at this time in our history. We expect our students and faculty to focus on art when in the building, channeling emotions in a positive and productive manner.
Here is the latest from the halls of the FAC...
Two more weeks left to apply for the 2021-2022 School Year
PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD TO YOUR FRIENDS, FAMILY, and NEIGHBORS!
The application for the 2021-2022 School Year has been open since October 8, accessible via your child's GCS Backpack Account. All current 9th-11th Graders who wish to return to the FAC next year must complete an application. Current students do not need to attend an audition - they are evaluated for acceptance by their performance in classes and through their class assignments.
The application closes on November 12. Late applications will not be accepted, so please make sure that this task gets completed in a timely manner. Offers to attend the FAC will go out through Backpack on February 5, 2021.
This Week's Student Leadership Lesson
"Don't aim at success. The more you aim at it and make it a target, the more you are going to miss it. For success, like happiness, cannot be pursued...Happiness must happen, and the same holds for success; you have to let it happen by not caring about it. I want you to listen to what your conscience commands you to do and go on to carry it out to the best of your knowledge. Then you will live to see that in the long-run -- in the long-run, I say! -- success will follow you precisely because you had forgotten to think about it."
- Viktor E. Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning
Update from the FAC Partners
- Alumni Relations
- Marketing and Messaging
- Parent Engagement
In the near future, we will be reaching out to parents to assist us with some of the committees. We are very excited about the progress we are making, and are looking forward to engaging with the FAC Parents very soon!
VIRTUAL COLLEGE VISITS - Join Us!
The website for the full schedule and listing of participants is:
- Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation - Achievement based scholarship for graduating seniors. Students are recognized for their capacity to lead and serve as well as their commitment to having an impact on their school and community. 150 Coca-Cola scholars are selected each year to receive this $20,000 scholarship. More information at www.coca-cola scholars.org. Deadline October 31, 2020.
- Prudential Spirit of Community Awards – State Honorees receive $1,000 and a trip to Washington D.C. National Honorees receive additional $5,000. Largest youth recognition program based on volunteerism and community service. Open to students in grade 5-12. More details at www.prudential.com/spirit. Deadline November 20, 2020.
- College Board Opportunity Scholarships are micro-scholarships that high school students can earn by taking steps on their path to college. https://opportunity.collegeboard.org/
Congratulations - Palissandro Quartet
STEPS TO RETURN TO SCHOOL IF EXPOSED to/SYMPTOMATIC WITH COVID
Support the FAC When You Shop
Arts High Schools provide “above and beyond” experiences for our students that often fall outside of the normal school budget. Here are some easy ways to help us on a regular basis. Funds go to Guest Artist experiences, Masterclasses, and much more!
Select Fine Arts Center Partners as your preferred charitable organization
Harris Teeter and Publix
Go to https://fineartscenter.net/page.asp?titleid=donate for information on how to help the FAC while shopping for groceries
Are You a Follower?
Many of our teaching studios have their own Instagram account as well, so follow us and you can easily find those pages through our account.
Building Hours - Attendance Plan 2
8:00 a.m. Classes
Building access at 7:45 a.m.
9:15 a.m. Classes
Building access at 8:30 a.m.
1:30 p.m. Classes
Building access at 1:15 p.m.
- Should these restrictions result in a hardship to your family relative to the parent’s ability to get to work on time, please call our Main Office. Before doing so, we respectfully request that you attempt to work out a resolution with your workplace. If no compromise can be found, we can accept a very limited number of students before the above building access times.
- Studio Time is not available to students while we are under social distancing restrictions.
As always, please call or email with any questions!
Fine Arts Center - Greenville County Schools
Preparing dedicated students for 21st-century careers through rigorous, pre-professional arts training in a dynamic, inclusive, collaborative learning community.