Sadler Means YWLA
Weeks of 4/4-4/9
Welcome Ms. Texana Turner!
Please make sure to give a BIG Dragon welcome to our Interim Principal, Ms. Texana Turner! She will be with us starting Monday! Ms. Turner brings many years experience in single-gender education as principal of Ann Richards School for Young Women Leaders. She also has experience working with our students and community as a previous principal of Pearce Middle School.
We are happy to have her here through the end of the year as we search for our new principal!
Just as you would have contacted Ms. Savina, please make sure to contact her if you will be late, out, or if you need to request time.
House Points Update
Here's the breakdown-
It's a tight race! There will be a reward for the winning house the week following the end of marking period five. We want your input! What do you think the reward should be? Some fun in the sun??? Popsicles and Pop! The possibilities are endless!
Email Ms. Benson with all of your awesome ideas!
Invitation from our Neighbor, Andrews Elementary!
This is an email to see who is interested in joining an 8-week bootcamp this spring. Bootcamp is an all-levels exercise class done with minimal equipment and body weight. Whether you are just getting into the fitness field or looking for something to shake up your routine, this class is for everyone!!! All you need are hand weights and a yoga mat.
Bootcamp is held on Tuesdays and Thursdays on the blacktop from 4:15-5:15pm. The bootcamp is put on through the YMCA, so it is $48 for the 8 weeks for Y members and $80 for non-Y members, if we have 7 confirmed members. We can still hold the class with fewer members, but the price will increase.
$5 a class!!! What a bargain!! Contact Blaire Beasley by email if you are interested so we can get going as soon as possible
Third Grade ESL Teacher
Fanny Andrews Early College Prep
Harvest and ISS Student Work
I want to thank you for making it a priority to give the students in ISS and Harvest current and relevant work. Please be on the look out for notification emails from Monica Thompson, Christy Barrett, and/or Ebony Alexander.
As a reminder:
- All teachers including floating teachers are required to be in the assembly
- Teachers must sit with their houses. More specifically, teachers must sit with their advisory classes. Floating teachers please sit with the students who have split advisories at the top of the bleachers.
- Starting next week, we will have the bleachers labeled with teachers names and Houses. (We will have Salubritas in the middle to make more room for faculty to sit with their houses).
- While in the assembly, you are still in charge of all the members of your class. If there are any behavioral issues, please have your student move to come sit by you. Proximity is extremely effective.
- Deduct or Reward points to your class members for behaviors during the assembly.
- If behaviors are not what they should be, contact parents to reiterate school expectations.
- Make sure students are not using their electronic devices.
- Reinforce school dresscode expectations.
The department chairs and team leads developed the following plan to make sure we can accurately track and reinforce dresscode expectations:
- The MM teacher checks dresscode daily during morning announcements by walking through the classroom and observing student uniform.
- If a student is wearing an item that is out of dresscode that can be removed, take up the item and give the student a pass to return to pick it up at the end of the day.
- If the student is out of dresscode and the item cannot be removed, complete the pink dresscode detention slip, and turn it into Ms. Sentena by lunchtime.
- Ms. Sentena will enter the student information and contact the student's parents to let them know about the infraction and required one hour after school detention the following day.
- The total number of infractions will be totaled and an announcement will be made if the students have earned the reward that will take place the following week.
THINGS YOU NEED:
Pink Dresscode Detention Slips
Passes for students to pick up items you have taken up
A copy of the Student Dresscode.
These items have been placed in your box.
Thank you for your diligence regarding this matter.
Time for Time
We would love to have 100% participation. Enrollment drives education, and we are educators! Please consider participating in this outstanding event!
If you come and participate in this event, you will be given two hours off the end our upcoming PD Day (May 27th). You will also receive a Jeans Day on Monday, April 11th.
Students who come to the event will get House Points, Food, and a Jeans Pass for Monday, April 11th.
Your department chairs and APs will be reaching out this week to see if you can attend this fun recruiting event!
School Community Volunteer Days
April 16 (1-3PM snacks provided)
April 23 (9AM-12PM Chipotle providing lunch)
If students or adults attend both weekends, they will get a coupon for a free burrito from Chipotle! Adults will also earn a Jeans Pass.
Please contact Ms. Dyer or Ms. Tole to RSVP.
Real Beauty Week is HERE!
Please see below for the week's activities, announcements, and student list for break-out sessions. Please let me know if you have any questions. Additionally, there are two Power Point doc's attached that are a part of the Tuesday and Wednesday M&M lesson. Thank you!
Real Beauty Week Schedule of Events
Monday - Kick off Morning Assembly in Gym
Tuesday - Lesson 1 “Coping with Insecurities” (see Power Point)
Wednesday - Lesson 2 “Inner Beauty vs. Outer Beauty” (see Power Point)
Thursday - No M&M activity, students may work on self-portraits for competition, Ladies of Distinction Panel in the library (list of students who will be invited is below)
Friday - PM Assembly with Dr. Lauryn Lax "Know Your Worth"
**Members of the Real Beauty Team will wear their purple shirts M, TH, F
6th: Dennise Llanas, Stephanie Ramos
7th: Elizia Escobedo, Jaelyn Johnson, Ninet Ramirez, Ryianna Thomas, Jaila Weeks
8th: Brianda Castro, Jasmaine Dupre, Avigail Mercado, Sophia Vasquez, Alexandria Washington
Promoting Positive Self-Expression
Ongoing activity ending Friday, April 8
HOW TO ENTER: Turn in a self-portrait with your name on it to the CIS office by Friday, April 8th!
- The winning portrait will be displayed in the halls of YWLA.
THE PRIZE: The winning artists and TWO friends will receive a catered lunch at school from their restaurant of choice!
*There will be Runners Up awards given*
Guests for the Ladies Of Distinction Panel Thursday (MM teachers are noted)
Karla Gonzales Anders
Saba Al-Baghdadi Esquivel
Rayven Hatch Anders
Sa’naya Moore Natalino
Pamela Pantoja Natalino
Brenda Tovar Ranaweera
Samantha Lopez Potter
Kriti Magar Esquivel
Ruby Gorostieta Anders
Jazmine Connor Gutierrez
Adna Coronado Ayala
Micah Reese Beckham
Glena Zuniga Alarcon
Kiana Washington Wartel
Kelly Sweeney Wartel
Asia Hornsby Ayala
Mercedes Flores Ayala
Avelina Fisher Balderrama
Estefani Marquez Smetzer
Maurina Harris Ayala
Samantha Martinez Dyer
Regina Delijeant Dyer
Safa Al-Baghdadi Gish
Yuritza Vargas Zamorano
Lissett Buitrago Dyer
Aye Aye Dyer
Kaylee Lyle Martinez
Rosio Perez Martinez
Briana Sanchez Smetzer
Shelby Moore Beckham
Allison Quinones, LMSW
Communities In Schools of Central Texas
Program Manager, Bertha Sadler Means Young Women's Leadership Academy
- Assembly: Real Beauty Week Kick-Off
- M&M: Lesson 1 “Coping with Insecurities” (see Power Point)
- Faculty Meeting (4-5PM/Principal Profile)
- Community Meeting (6PM Library)
- GT Make-Up Testing
- Registration Workshop (10AM/4PM/6PM)
- M&M: Lesson 2 “Inner Beauty vs. Outer Beauty” (see Power Point)
- PARENT MEETING: Ready, Set, College! (6PM)
- PLC-Information about Open House
- M&M: No M&M activity, students may work on self-portraits for competition, Ladies of Distinction Panel in the library
- STEAM Night (5-630PM)
- Office of Civil Rights Visit-Student Interviews
- Overton/Jordan Parent Night
- Track at Nelson Field
- Tennis at Ann Richards School
- Choir UIL
Friday 4/8 (PM Assembly Schedule)
- PM Assembly: Real Beauty with Dr. Lauryn Lax "Know Your Worth"
- FIELD TRIP: LBJ Wildflower Center
- CTE: VChain Software Training
- Vertical Team OPEN HOUSE (1130AM-1PM)
- Join us to earn a Time for Time Pass and a Jeans Day!