THE "I.M.P.A.C.T." EFFECT
Principal Hearne's Weekly Updates, Highlights, & Reminders
Week of September 5, 2022
Greetings MUSTANG Family!!! Please review this week's updates, highlights, and reminders below:
Positive quote of the Week:
"Everyone who remembers his own education remembers teachers, not methods and techniques. The teacher is the heart of the educational system." –Sidney Hook
"Mental Health" & then "Instruction" - What's due "Next Week":
(1) At least 1 Self-Care Activity #WePrioritizeMentalHealth
- Go for a walk
- Take 10 deep belly breaths
- Turn up your favorite song
- Watch something funny
*Need to talk? For free emotional support, call 512.472.HELP (4357). Press 1, then 7.
#TexansRecoveringTogether: Crisis Counseling Assistance And Training Program
(2) Lesson Planning via Planbook for Week of September 12, 2022:
*Due, September 8, 2022 (See "Blended Learning Lesson Cycle" with Station Rotations aligned to our Campus Redesign below :-))
*****Emergency Sub Lesson Plans with Activities aligned to the content, are due each Friday by 5:15 p.m. to your Grade Level Administrator. Should not include crossword or word search puzzles, and must be aligned to Daily Content/T.E.K.S./Lesson Focus. This is an expectation, not optional.
***Weekly Lesson Plans ~ Due Every Thursday by 5:15 p.m. Refer to our Instructional Non-negotiables (Located in our Campus LiveBinder). This is an expectation, not optional.
Student Voice & Choice "Must Haves":
- Choice Boards (Great Opportunity to gain Hero Points) or Teacher's Creative way of ensuring student voice and choice during each class period.
- 15-minute rotations (Students should be rotating within each class period, every 15-minutes)
Data Collection "Must Haves"
- Daily Teacher "In-hand Exemplars" with "Laps Named" to "Academically Monitor" our scholars work during the Daily Independent Practice activity, prior to the Daily Exit Ticket
- Daily Exit Tickets ~ "Targeted", "Content-Aligned", and "Meaningful"
Classroom Data Trackers:
Teachers are expected to update their classroom data trackers daily, to reflect each class period's mastery percentages on Daily Exit Tickets. Principal, API & AP's will check classroom data trackers at the end of each instructional week, so please ensure that they are updated.
Student Data Trackers & Goal Setting Sheets:
Teachers are expected to ensure that students' Weekly Data Tracker & Goal Setting Sheet is "assigned" to each student in each class period. This is an expectation, not optional.
This Week's Attire:
- Monday, September 5, 2022 ~ No School/Work ~ Happy Labor Day
- Tuesday, September 6, 2022 ~ Professional Dress
- Wednesday, September 7, 2022 - "College Gear Day" ~ College Shirt (Jeans and Tennis Shoes Permitted With College Shirt)
- Thursday, September 8, 2022 ~ Professional Dress
- Friday, September 9, 2022 ~ Jeans and tennis shoes are permitted with an MSHS Spirit Shirt, College Shirt, College Fraternity or Sorority Shirt, Teacher/Education Related Shirt, or Military Shirt.
Please know that our leadership team is here to support you in any way that we can. "YOUR SUCCESS IS OUR SUCCESS"...so please allow us to serve you! #BestTeamInTheWorld #MUSTANGPride
Campus Assessment System:
- Backwards Planning starting with the Assessment begins after the Unit Planning and Teacher Clarity Process
- 3-Week Assessments in Eduphoria
- 6-Week Assessments in Eduphoria
*See your DC/IC for implementation expectations
- Students are NOT to sleep during any minute of your class period.
- Cell Phones should be utilized for INSTRUCTIONAL PURPOSES ONLY or not at all during instruction
Here's to a week of EXCELLENCE!
***All Campus exterior doors must remain locked and closed throughout the entire school day for the safety and security of all scholars and staff! At no point in time, should any doors be propped open for any reason!
Action Item: Student Information Services ~ Grades in the Gradebook (MANDATORY, NOT OPTIONAL)
All teachers must be entering 2 grades per scholar per class into the grade book each week. If a scholar is missing from a teacher’s gradebook, the teacher must connect with the registrar or counselor to get updates made before progress reports. If there is no teacher with Skyward access for a class, be sure someone is entering the grades into Skyward for progress reports.
Grading period calendars - Secondary Grading Periods
Manor Senior High School Admin Team
Left to Right: Principal ~ Ms. Hearne; API - Ms. Ixba; 11th Grade AP ~ Mr. Henley; 12th Grade AP ~ Ms. Thomas
"Hero of the Week" ~ Ms. Park
Let's Lead The Way for Our Scholars While Empowering Them To Find Their Own Way
NO SLEEP ZONE!
Teachers are expected not to allow students to sleep during daily instruction!😉
ALL CLASSROOMS ARE ACADEMIC MONITORING ZONES!!!
EXEMPLAR OF "TEACHER EXEMPLAR IN-HAND" WITH "LAPS NAMED"
Ongoing Instructional Walkthrough "Look Fors"
*Lesson Framework Prominently Posted for ALL Class Periods!!!
*Implementation of the "Small Group/Blended Learning" Lesson Cycle!!!
Our Instructional Leadership Team will continue conducting classroom walkthroughs. We will pay close attention to teachers "Verbalizing Their Thought Processes" during the explicit teaching portion of the lesson cycle, and when addressing scholar misconceptions to preplanned CFUs (Check for Understanding Questions) aligned to the daily Success Criteria.
We look forward to seeing the awesome teaching and learning taking place in your classrooms!!! We look forward to hearing teachers "Verbalizing Their Thought Processes!"
*Remember to print out your weekly Lesson Plans AND Daily Teacher Exemplars with "Laps Named" from Plan Book, and place them in the yellow folder labeled "Lesson Plans" by your classroom door (posted on the wall).
Always be prepared to discuss:
- Details about your "Do Now" and what you are expecting students to do when they first walk into your classroom at the start of each class period.
- Details about your "Teacher Tasks" and "Student Tasks" and how both the teacher tasks and student are aligned to the content, and will support our scholars in mastering the content.
- Details about your current classroom practices that ensure that learning is being extended for our scholars who complete assigned tasks earlier than their peers.
Be prepared to actively implement: (***Evident in Teacher Actions and Student Actions)
"Verbalize your thought processes" during the explicit teaching portion of the lesson cycle, and when addressing scholar misconceptions to preplanned CFUs (Check for Understanding Questions) aligned to the daily Success Criteria.