Ms. Arnold's Weekly News
Week of 9-15-14
A Message From Ms. Arnold
Welcome to Keicher students and parents! We are so excited to have you as a part of our Keicher family! Students are doing a great job transitioning not only to a new building but to a start of a new year. They're adjusting to daily procedures and routines and are demonstrating superior character! We love to see and hear their GREATNESS! I am thrilled to be a part of their 3rd grade year. It's going to be a fabulous year together!
Our Homecoming Spirit Days
HOMECOMING WEEK – We will be celebrating our homecoming during the week of September 15th. We would like to have Keicher students and staff show their school spirit by participating in our spirit days.
Monday: Dress Your BEST Day
Tuesday: Pajama Day: Today is pajama day! Up, out of bed and off to school!
Wednesday: Neon Day– How bright can you be?
Thursday: Duct Tape Day – Be creative!
Friday: “MC” SPIRIT DAY!! – Wear red and gray today as a true Cardinal does! (Please no full face paint)
Parade – 5:50 p.m. Game – 7:00 p.m.
I'm proud of our team! Outstanding leadership and team work!
Classroom Learning Time
Our Focus Points
Reading / Language Arts
Students are beginning to work through our first Daily 5 rotations, Read to Self and Read to Someone Time. This week we will be incorporating our fluency and listening routines. Students are setting goals to pick the best-fit books within a variety of genres. I do not expect students to read AR books nor meet any specific AR requirements through the year. Rather I expect them to read, a goal of 40 books this year, across all genres.
We finished all one-on-one reading assessments this week!
Math (Topic 1/Unit 1)
Students completed beginning of the year assessments. We are now studying place value and having to apply it with various types of questions. We are also starting our weekly timed tests.
In the last two weeks, students have begun gathering stories in their writer's notebooks as well as complete the beginning of the year "writing assessment".
This Week's Spelling Words: List #2
Week of 9-15-14
Weekly Specials and Nightly Homework
Tuesday: Gym; Math Homework #2; Study spelling; Red folders come home
Wednesday: Computers; Study spelling; Red folders come home
Thursday: Gym; Study spelling; Red folders come home
Friday: No specials; Spelling test; Red folders come home; new spelling list comes home
Keicher Dates At A Glance (September)
DATES AT A GLANCE
23 Michigan Center Community Food Pantry –
6:30 – 7:30 p.m.
25 4th Grade Mackinac Parent Meeting – Keicher 5th/6th Grade Cafeteria – 6:00 p.m.
9/29 – 10-2 Book Fair Week
30 Picture Day
1 FALL COUNT
6 Bible Release – 2:10 – 3:10 p.m.
13 School Board Meeting – 7:00 p.m. -MCHS
Good News Club – more information to follow
14 Michigan Center Community Food Pantry – 6:30 -7:30 p.m.
21 6th Grade Band – U of M – all day
24 Keicher Elementary Student Lock-in – 6:00 – 9:00 p.m. – Halloween Theme
28 Michigan Center Community Food Pantry –
6:30 -7:30 p.m.
Other Keicher News
1. If you are dropping your child off across the street, please remind your child to use the crossing guard. This is for their safety. The crossing guard is there before and after school. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.
2. ATTENDANCE is very important to your child’s education. Everyday is a new learning experience; your support in making sure your child has good attendance makes learning much easier for them. If your child is ill or must miss school for an appointment, please call the school at 764-5200 to let us know. A doctor/dentist excuse, with date and time, is required for an excused absence. Any other absences will be counted toward the 10 days allowed.
3. BOOK FAIR – We are in need of some parent volunteers to help with our Book Fair the week of September 29th. If you can help on any day, Monday through Thursday, please give us a call at 764-5200 x2019. Any time you could give us would be greatly appreciated.
4. LADY HOOPSTERS – Please join our Lady Cardinal Basketball family for after school basketball. This program will emphasize fundamentals while having fun, promoting teamwork and the love of the game. The girls will meet in the Keicher West Gym after school until 5:00 p.m. Girls in grades 3rd and 4th will meet every Tuesday and girls in grades 5th and 6th will meet every Thursday starting the week of September 15th and ending the week of October 13th. The $25.00 cost includes a t-shirt. Forms were sent home this week.
5. BOX TOPS – We will be collecting box tops for education all year long. We encourage you to collect them and send them to school with your student. We appreciate all of your help.
6. MC Mania - To get the year rolling, we need to ask for your help. Our annual fundraiser will be much different this year. We have decided to take a year off from the Frankenmuth catalog sale and take a stab at a different approach. Catalog sales are easy, but not many parents are fans of them. Instead, we will be asking for donations. The kids will earn prizes based on their collected donations. Instead of the 40% that we get to keep from Frankenmuth, we will keep around 75% of the money from these donations, once the prizes are purchased.
For a $5 donation per student, they get to participate in an awesome inflatable fun day that has been named MC Mania! We have rented three inflatables: a huge rock wall/slide with a 40' obstacle course attached (the same one that was at Keicher's field day), a Sport's Arena that holds around 25 kids at a time that they can play basketball or soccer in and a 5 in 1 Ninja Bounce House (the one that was at the Carnival). They will also receive a MC Mania rubber bracelet.
For a $15 donation, they get to go to MC Mania and they also get a pair of red sunglasses that say MC Cardinals on the side. For $30, they get MC Mania, sunglasses, and a black, red, grey drawstring bag with a big MC logo. For $50, they get MC Mania, sunglasses, bag, and a MC t-shirt. For $100, they get MC Mania, sunglasses, bag, t-shirt, and hoodie (and possibly an option for sweatpants instead).
There will also be a family night on Thursday from 3:30-6:30 for a $5 donation. 8. The MICHIGAN CENTER COMMUNITY FOOD PANTRY will be open every 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month from 6:30 -7:30 p.m. The pantry is located at the west end of Keicher. Follow the signs through the Pre-School playground gate. See dates above.