Standing Bear News
Message from the Principal
Greetings Standing Bear Families-
We managed through our first remote learning day of the school year. I hope that everyone enjoys some time playing outside in the snow. Stay warm Standing Bear!
A few important things to look for in this newsletter:
- Teacher Snack Cart- Please consider donating to the Friday Snack Cart for staff, see information below. Thank you!!
- Staff Shout Out- Take a minute to give a "Shout Out" to a staff member (link or QR code below) Let us know how we are doing!
- Snow Day Activities- I love the snow and playing in it with my kids! Growing up in Wyoming, we had a lot of days we played outside in the snow. I found a list of fun activities to do in the snow (see link below). Have some fun today!
- The PTO Dinner Night for tonight has been canceled due to weather. We have a rescheduled date for January 25th. (See Flyer below in the PTO Section)
- Kindergarten Round-Up- this is for incoming kindergarten students. Students will go to a classroom to do an activity with our teachers and parents will attend a meeting in the gym. Please enter the building through the cafeteria doors.
Stay positive, patient and flexible!
Teacher Snack Cart
Join us for Kindergarten Round-Up on January 24th at 5:00pm in the Standing Bear Gym for incoming Kindergarten students
SCHOOL APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2023-24 SCHOOL YEAR
Mark Your Calendars......
Dates and Events can change, so keep up on this section of the newsletter.
20th- No Early Childhood Classes
24th- Kindergarten Roundup (5pm-6pm)
3rd- No school (Curriculum day for staff)
8th- 100th Day of School
9th- PK/K/1st Music Program @ 2:30pm
10th- Progress Reports send home
10th- No Early Childhood Classes
13th- Don & Millies PTO night
14th- Valentine's School Parties will be from 2:30-3:30 (some may adjust time slightly, classroom teachers will let parents know if that is the case)
20th- No School (President's Day)
7th- PTO meeting @ 6:30pm
10th- Report Cards sent home
13th-17th- Spring Break (No school)
20th-21st- Marcos Pizza PTO night
24th- No Early Childhood Classes
29th-30th- Parent/Teacher Conferences
31st- No School
10th- Texas Roadhouse PTO night
11th- PTO Meeting @ 6:30pm
13th- PTO Outdoor Movie Night
14th- No School for students
17th- No School for students
21st- No Early Childhood Classes
27th- Progress Reports send home
28th- 4th Music Program @ 2:30pm
9th- PTO Meeting @ 6:30pm
12th- School Carnival
14th- No Early Childhood Classes
26th- Last Day!
Outdoor Recess Guidelines
We always take into consideration the "Feels Like" temperature
The "feels like" temperature is a measurement of how hot or cold it really feels like outside. The “Feels Like” temperature relies on environmental data including the ambient air temperature, relative humidity, and wind speed to determine how weather conditions feel to bare skin.
30 degrees or higher outside
20-30 degrees outside
20 degrees and below
30 degrees or higher outside
- layer clothing
- drink water often
- watch for signs of getting chilled
- feel babies' hands and feet
- take breaks
20-30 degrees outside
- be cautious
- follow guidelines of the green zone
- easier to become chilled
- layer clothing under coats
Message from Kid's Club Regarding Weather
With winter weather at our front door, just a reminder that if Omaha Public Schools is to cancel after school activities due to inclement weather, afternoon Kids Club would also be closed. Please share this with your Kids Club staff. We have asked for a reminder to be placed on our webpage and social media, a verbal reminder to parents at pick up would also be great.
Sarah Dragon, MSEd.
Omaha Public Schools Foundation
Kids Club Before & After School Program
402-502-3032 Main402-502-3063 Fax
- Contact the main office if your child will not be in attendance or late
- If you will be picking your child up early for any reason
- If the dismissal procedure for your child has changed (another person picking up, no bus, etc.)
- Please provide a doctor note for any appointments so we can mark the absence as medical and excused
Phone: (531) 299-2140
Fax: (531) 299-2159
Nurse Fax: (531) 299-2158
Important Information from Standing Bear
For the safety and security of our students and this building, anyone entering the building must stop in the office first.
Drop Off Zone
We ask that you please continue to pull all the way down to the second crosswalk if possible (by main front doors). We can then unload around 10 vehicles rather than 5.
We currently have a school staff member assisting your child to breakfast or the classroom at the main doorway for all student’s morning arrival. REMINDER: School doors don’t open until 8:35 AM for classroom entrance and breakfast opening hours.
We ask again not arrive for end of school day pick-up until 3:55pm to prevent traffic flow congestion issues .
Please be attentive and cognizant of all school crossing guard officials and adhere to their requests during student morning drop-off and pick-up times. Our goal is to ensure your child’s overall safety.
School Blackboard Communication
We will be using Blackboard for mass communications to families. All newsletters, updates and reminders will be sent via email or text. Please make sure to contact the office if you need to update your contact information.
We ask that only non-food items be brought for birthday celebrations. Please check with your child's teacher to discuss day and time for treats to be dropped off.
- Drop off is 8:35AM, that is when breakfast is open and staff are on duty
- Please have student(s) ready to get out when you pull up
- Pull all the way down if able
- If you need to get out to assist your child, go into the parking lot lane not the main drive
- If your student is NOT eating breakfast they need to enter through the main front doors rather than the cafeteria doors
- Grab and Go Breakfast- if your student is eating breakfast, they need to enter the building through the cafeteria doors. They may enter through the main front doors if they choose not to eat the district provided breakfast.
Dismissal and pickup
When parents pull onto school grounds, outside staff will input your family number to indicate that you have arrived. Classroom teachers will get your student(s) ready to dismiss. How this works- We will enter your Family Number into a form, this will be visible to classroom teachers in the building and they will dismiss. Students will be dismissing out the main front doors staggered based on your arrival time. Students will NOT be dismissing out any other doors.
It will be extremely helpful if you let your student(s) know your preferred lane for pick-up. This will help them know to look for you in the main drive or the parking lot lane. Once your student(s) are loaded, you can pull out of the pick-up line to leave.
What you will need at dismissal:
- You will need to place your car hanger number on your rearview mirror so it is clearly visible to outside staff.
- You will need to pull all the way down to the front door (as cars move ahead, you move ahead) if you are picking up on the main drive, pull all the way down to the front main entrance or up to the vehicle in front of you. If you are picking up in the parking lot lane, you will still need to pull all the way forward. ALL students will exit out the main front doors.
- We will call your student(s) out as you arrive, continue to pull forward whenever possible until all your students are loaded.
** Kindergarten students- dismissal will remain the same for parents who walk up to get kindergarten students. If you are choosing to drive through for pick up, parents will still pull up like all other vehicles with their family number visible.
** Early Childhood will remain the same. Parents will need to park and come check out their child.
** Walk up parents- A staff member will be located out front, you can provide them with your family number so teachers are aware you are ready to pickup. You student(s) will then be dismissed.
** Each family will receive 2 car hangers. If you would need additional ones, please contact the office. It is imperative not to lose your issued designated car hanger numbers. Please clearly display upon arrive so there is no confusion to expeditiously release your child for pick-up.
WE WILL BEGIN DISMISSAL (ENTERING NUMBERS) AT 4:00PM. PLEASE DO NOT ARRIVE AT SCHOOL BEFORE 3:55PM TO PREVENT AN INITIAL BACKUP. The line moves very fast once we begin the dismissal process.
Thank you for everything!
Early Pickup for Students
If you are picking up your students early for a doctor appointment, etc please call the office ahead of time and we will have you child ready to go at the designated time. Parents will need to come into the office to check out your student(s).
Omaha Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, age, genetic information, citizenship status, or economic status in its programs, activities and employment and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following individual has been designated to address inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Superintendent of Schools, 3215 Cuming Street, Omaha, NE 68131 (402-557-2001).