The Weekly Roar
January 31, 2021
Honoring Black History Month
Tomorrow, February begins. Each year, February is the month we celebrate Black History Month. We explore the contributions of Black Americans from our past and honor the ongoing work of Americans who are ensuring our society "bends towards justice". Each week in the Weekly Roar, we'll provide resources that will deepen our collective understanding. In the classrooms, teachers will embed the Social Justice Standards, particularly in the Justice Domain, so that our children become knowledgeable, critical thinkers. We invite you to take this journey with us as we grow and learn. You may find this website helpful: https://www.familyeducation.com/entertainment-activities/black-history-month
Below is a link from Eventbrite. Their website summarize Black History perfectly: "Black History Month is more than just a reflection on the past. It’s also about celebrating the present (and the future) of Black culture. In this curated collection, Eventbrite is putting a spotlight on virtual events that will not only teach you about Black history, but will showcase Black excellence in its many forms: food, film, comedy, music, literature, and more. These are events that energize, educate, and entertain — all while honoring and celebrating Black culture."
Have a great week!
Dr. Becky Godbey
Parent / Teacher Communication
- Assume good intentions and remember that we all want what is best for your child.
- Don't forget to check the communication apps that your teacher is using (Example: Remind, Seesaw, Class Dojo, etc).
- Please use the teacher's regular office hours to clarify questions. Note: On Wednesdays, teachers are in professional development and professional meetings, so they may not be available on these days.
- Sometimes, the best communication is live! Please consider using phone calls or Zooms.
- Always consult the teacher first before reaching out to the principal. The reason for this is because your child's teacher knows you, your child, and the circumstances much better than the principal. Let's provide one another the opportunity to problem-solve before taking it to the next level.
La Ballona teachers love their parent community and want to collaborate to continue to make our school the best it can be!
The Outdoor Library is Back!
The Outdoor Library reopens this week! During the month of February, you may visit on WEDNESDAYS during the lunch hour from 11:45-1:15 on the Principal's Patio just off the Staff Parking Lot. If your student has any special book or topic requests, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fun Literary Holidays and February Features:
Black History Month
Love Your Library Month
Feb 6 - Take Your Child to the Library Day
Feb 7 - Charles Dickens’s Bday
Feb 9 - Read in the Bathtub Day!
Feb 11 - National Inventors’ Day
Feb 12 - Judy Blume’s Bday
Feb 14 - Valentine’s Day/Library Lover’s Day/International Book Giving Day
Feb 19 - Amy Tan’s Bday
Feb 26 - Tell a Fairy Tale Day
Feb 27 - John Steinbeck’s Bday
TK & Kindergarten Enrollment for 2021-2022 begins February 1st! For CCUSD Residents ONLY
Here is a message from the CCUSD School and Family Services Department
Age of Eligibility:
Kindergarten - Your child is eligible for Kindergarten in the fall if your child is five years old, or will be five on or before September 1, 2021.
Transitional Kindergarten - Your child is eligible for Transitional Kindergarten in the fall if your child will be five between September 2 and December 2, 2021.
Priority enrollment for CCUSD residents is from 2/1/21-3/5/21. Late enrollment begins April 12th. CCUSD residents who wait until the late enrollment period to enroll are not guaranteed placement at their home school if space is not available. If a home school is at capacity, the student will be assigned to another CCUSD elementary school. If you are a CCUSD resident, click here for enrollment information.
If your child is currently enrolled in OCD Preschool AND you are a CCUSD resident AND you want your child to attend CCUSD TK or Kindergarten for the 2021-2022 school year, you must enroll your child in CCUSD. OCD enrollment does NOT automatically become TK/Kindergarten enrollment.
If your child is currently attending TK in CCUSD, you do not need to reenroll in kindergarten.
All current TK students who are CCUSD residents will automatically be placed in Kindergarten at their home school.
Current TK students wishing to attend a Dual Language for Kindergarten-Grade 5 must apply to the Dual Language Program.
TK students who are CCUSD residents and wish to attend Kindergarten at a school other than their home school must apply for an Intradistrict Permit.
Click here for the Dual Language Program Application. Dual Language Applications for Kindergarten are only accepted February 10- March 10.
Click here for the Intradistrict Permit Application. An Intradistrict Permit is required for anyone residing within CCUSD boundaries wishing to attend a school other than their home school. Intradistrict Permit Applications are only accepted February 10-March 10.
The PTA Board needs you!
The La Ballona PTA is recruiting parents who would like to serve as a PTA Board members for the upcoming school year (2021-2022) to be elected in April 2021. Members of the board help make decisions on how PTA money is spent, and get to know the inner workings of La Ballona Elementary. If elected to the board, you will be trained in your future position by the current board members. Look at the attached graphic to help see what the board positions are. The nomination google form is still in the works, but if you'd like to know more info, email email@example.com
A Message from our Yearbook Chairperson
Hello La Ballona Parents and Staff,
Thank you for the great work you are doing with our students in distance learning! My name is
Stennar Strom, and I am the 2020-2021 yearbook chairperson. I am the parent of a 2nd grader
and a 5th grader. Although we have spent our school year in a distance learning setting, I am so excited to be creative to help document this school year for all the students and their families. My goal is to get as many of their faces in the yearbook as possible, and to make the process easy for all involved.
There are a few items I will need your assistance with over the next few months:
- We will need 25-30 photos for each classroom by March 1, 2021. The photos need to be
- high resolution. You can email them to me as you go, or send them all at once. Whatever works best for you.
- Please photograph a variety of activities from the class - art projects, presentations, lunch with the teacher, supply drop offs, students working from home (submitted by their parents), etc.
- Our intention is to represent each child at least once in the yearbook so between their school portraits and individual photos we can achieve that.
- I would like pictures to fill these sections of the yearbook:
- First day of school
- Student and Staff distance learning setups
- Screenshots of Zoom classes
- Halloween costumes
- Students in safe pod activities
- Students performing acts of kindness from the Kindness Week
- Supply pickups at La Ballona
- Students working on art projects or students holding completed projects
- Students working on makerspace projects or students with completed projects
PLEASE label each picture with grade level and activity.
Email to LaBallonaYearbook@gmail.com
I look forward to creating a yearbook with your photos!.
Honorary Service Awards
Is there an extraordinary person or organization that you’d like to thank for their contribution to La Ballona Elementary? The California State PTA Honorary Service Award is a great way to say thank you for their service to our children.
The La Ballona PTA Honorary Service Award Committee needs your help. Nominate a special person (parent volunteer, teacher, staff, community member or even organization) who tirelessly serves our children. Follow the link below, name that person and share how they’ve had a significant impact at La Ballona. Please nominate one person per form but you can complete the form as many times as you'd like. The HSA committee will meet and give thoughtful consideration to every nominee before selecting this year’s honorees. Link to the form: https://forms.gle/W6w4XaBCt6XhYEcD6
We are also looking for more members for the HSA committee. If you'd like to help choose the awardees (commitment is 1-2 online meetings), please email firstname.lastname@example.org.