We Are Tamanend Together!
September 16, 2022
7th Grade Trip to PA Renaissance Faire is Tuesday, October 4
The Journey and Legacy Teams are excited to announce that we are taking our first field trip of the year. On Tuesday, October 4th, we will be traveling by Perkiomen Tours to the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire at the Mount Hope Estate in Manheim, PA. We will be departing at 7:45 am returning back to Tamanend at 4:15 pm. Please pick up your student up at Tamanend Middle School at 4:15. We are thrilled that our students will be able to experience the language, culture and life of the Middle Ages and Renaissance time periods as a 7th Grade class. All students must be dressed in period attire costume. They must also bring a brown bag lunch or enough money to purchase a lunch.
The cost of the trip is $55. You must sign the permission form and pay for this trip by using MyPaymentsPlus. My Payments Plus is now open and the due date for all payments and permission forms is Friday, September 30. As always, if you have a financial concern, please contact our school social worker Mrs. Raquel Riad or your child’s team leader, Mrs. Lisa Mancini (Legacy team) or Ms. Maria Vitacco (Journey team).
CALENDAR ITEMS TO NOTE
MyPaymentsPlus Opens for Technology Fee Payments--Monday, August 15 (details below)
Magazine Drive Kick-Off Assembly--Monday, September 19 (during school day)
8th & 9th Grade Back to School Night--Thursday, September 22 at 7:00
School Holiday (Rosh Hashana)--Monday, September 26
Parent Council Meeting--Thursday, September 29 at 9:00 AM
Deadline to Complete Annual Student Information Update in Portal--Friday, September 30 (details below)
Welcome Back Dance--Friday, September 30
7th Grade Field Trip to PA Renaissance Faire--Tuesday, October 4 (information above)
Required 7th Grade Dental Exam Forms Due--Friday, October 15 (information below)
Monday, September 19
- Girls Tennis @ Holicong (Away; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:15
Tuesday, September 20
- Girls Tennis vs. Tohickon (Home; 3:15)
- 7th Grade Field Hockey @ Tohickon (Away; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:15
- 7th Grade Soccer @ Tohickon (Away; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:15
- Volleyball vs. Tohickon (Home; 3:15 & 4:15)
Wednesday, September 21
- 7th Grade Football 3-Team Scrimmage @ Lenape (Away; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:15
- 8th Grade Field Hockey vs. Unami (Home; 3:15)
- 8th Grade Soccer vs. Unami (Home; 3:15)
Thursday, September 22
- 8th Grade Football Scrimmage @ Newtown (Away; 3:30); bus leaves at 2:15
Friday, September 23
- No contests
- If you and would like to receive immediate updates on game schedules, cancellations, etc., visit Tamanend Athletics web page and become a “fan” to get alerts for your child’s team.
FROM CB SOUTH:
- Please see below for information regarding the CB South cheerleading clinic on September 18th.
Reminder--A Message For Fans Attending CB South Athletic Contests
We hope that everyone will continue to support our athletic teams during the fall season. CB South prides itself on good sportsmanship on the part of players and fans alike. Please keep the following in mind as you cheer for our teams this season:
- Middle school aged students must be accompanied by a parent.
- The use of profanity and vulgarity is unacceptable at athletic events. Please do not engage in inappropriate or demeaning chants during games. Students who do not comply with this expectation will be ejected from the games and will face disciplinary consequences. Let’s focus on supporting our team, not degrading the opposing school.
- Entering/Rushing the athletes’ area of play is prohibited and dangerous to security, teachers, spectators, and the athletes.
- Students are not permitted to bring purses, draw string bags, backpacks, food, or beverages to any athletic event in the Fall season.
- Students are prohibited from trespassing on the property of any school in the Central Bucks School District or on any property in any other school district. Damaging school property or engaging in any other activity that inconveniences the other school’s staff is strictly prohibited and will be considered vandalism, resulting in disciplinary and legal consequences. Please do not jeopardize your good standing by engaging in this type of unacceptable behavior.
- All Central Bucks School District and Central Bucks High School South’s polices apply to students at athletic events. Please be advised that coming to an athletic event under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance is not only extremely dangerous, but also violates School Board Policy 227. If a student chooses to attend a CB South athletic event while under the influence, law enforcement will be notified and a 5-day suspension will be imposed.
CB South’s Administration respectfully requests that parents monitor their child’s whereabouts and actions before athletic events at CB South. Please be aware of your child’s plans before the event, how they will safely get to the event, and how they will safely arrive home from the event.
We hope that you continue to show your enthusiasm and school spirit as we enter the fall athletic season. The Faculty and Administration at CB South has always considered your ability to support our teams in a positive and respectful manner as one of our key points of pride. Please join your classmates in continuing this proud tradition.
UPCOMING TAMANEND EVENTS
UPCOMING TIGER'S I ENCHRICHMENT ACTIVITIES
Strategic Games Tiger’s i Enrichment Group
Tamanend STEM CLUB
Do you have an interest in STEM? Are you looking for a way to be involved at Tamanend and do cool STEM based activities and competitions? Then Tamanend’s STEM Club, #SouthSide STEM, is for you!
Tamanend’s STEM Club will be holding an Interest meeting on Tuesday, September 27th during I/E in the Auditorium. If you are involved in other Tamanend activities, but are still interested in STEM, plan to attend this meeting to hear how you can participate in our club along with other activities.
On the day of our meeting, please make sure to check in with your I/E teacher before reporting to the Auditorium. If you are unable to make the meeting but are interested in participating in our STEM club, you can reach out to Mrs. Brumbaugh, Mrs. Gamble or Ms. Nagle for information.
7th Grade Social Studies
Last week, Seventh Grade Social Studies students explored their knowledge of the world around them! After completing a diagnostic students assessment, were challenged according to their readiness level. Mrs. Reitz, Mr. Mitnik, and Mrs. Stryjak then offered a variety of activities to students throughout the library to support academic growth and enrichment related to the continents and oceans of the world. Students were able to use these ideas to demonstrate mastery on their recent World Map quiz this week!
Are You Interested in Volunteering at Tamanend?
Volunteer Required Paperwork
Pennsylvania law requires all persons having direct contact with school children to obtain background checks and clearances. If you are planning on volunteer in in a Central Bucks school during the 2022-2023 school year, you will need to go to Volunteer Required Paperwork, and complete what is needed to be an approved volunteer in our school. Thank you!
PAYS Survey Presentation and Wellness Expo
Reminder--Donate Blood in Honor of Tamanend 9th Grader Gregory Matzcak
Reminder--France 2023 Study Abroad
Attention French students. There will be an informational meeting on Monday, October 3rd at CB High School South for students interested in learning more about the France 2023 Study Abroad experience. Students and parents are welcome to learn about this exciting opportunity beginning at 6:00pm in the CB South Library. Please be sure to reach out to your French teacher if you have any additional questions.
Reminder--Need a New Backpack?
Brian Caughie, Principal email@example.com
Patti Hartz, Secretary firstname.lastname@example.org
Andrea Consoletti, Student Service Secretary email@example.com
Reminder--Please Complete Your Annual Student Information Update by September 30
Here's How to Update Your Student's Information
Como Se Puede Actualizar la Información de Su Estudiante
EARN YOUR STRIPES--TAMANEND'S SCHOOL-WIDE POSITIVE BEHAVIORAL SUPPORT SYSTEM
Tamanend Middle School empowers students to grow academically, socially and emotionally. Students, staff, and families work collaboratively to model the acronym ROAR.
Respect yourself, others, and property.
Own your behaviors.
We believe that a caring, positive school culture and learning environment foster respectful, thoughtful, appropriate, and kind citizens.
In order to operationalize our mission, Tamanend utilizes a school-wide positive behavioral intervention and support plan (SWPBIS). This plan helps us establish a social culture in which students expect and support appropriate behavior from one another— creating school environments that are socially predictable, consistent, safe, and positive. This helps to reduce problem behaviors that lead to office discipline referrals and suspensions, and to change perceptions of school safety.
This Week's ROAR Focus Area: Busses
QUOTES AROUND TAMANEND
HELPFUL REMINDERS ABOUT TAMANEND PROCEDURES
Middle School Physical Education Attire
Students are not required to purchase a CBSD issued physical education uniform; however, students will be required to change into athletic attire and sneakers to participate safely and practice good hygiene. Student attire must adhere to the dress code guidelines presented in the student handbook. CB locks will still be required to purchase to ensure personal items are secured in a locker. Locks are available for purchase on MyPaymentsPlus.
Parent Drop-Off/Pick-Up & Parking Lot Safety
If parents/guardians decide to drive students to school, please plan enough travel time to allow for safety and congestion on Stuckert Road and in our school parking lot. The speed limit in our lot is 15 mph.
Below is a map of how the student drop-off will work in our parking lot. Drop off should only happen along the sidewalk in the front parking lot up to the Main Entrance, as indicated by the yellow highlighted area on the map. For your safety and the safety of our students, please follow these directions and do not drop your student off on Stuckert Road, the Visitor's Parking area, or in the middle of the Main Parking Area.
When dropping off your child, please remember that you should MAKE A RIGHT-HAND TURN INTO/OUT OF THE PARKING LOT. Please stay to the right of the parking lot, along the sidewalk, all the way up to the Stop Sign across from the Tennis Courts. Pull up as far as you can when the cars in front of you clear, and let your child out on the sidewalk. PLEASE STAY IN A SINGLE-FILE LINE WHILE IN THE PARKING LOT.
When picking up your child, please remember that YOU SHOULD ONLY MAKE A RIGHT-HAND TURN INTO THE PARKING LOT. The line of traffic will extend back toward the baseball field (Kelly Rd.). Please stay in the line of traffic and continue moving up as the car(s) in front of you move up. If we follow this procedure, all cars we be gone by 2:40.
Morning Car Line
When the weather is poor (heavy rain, low temperatures, etc.), more and more parents/guardians choose to drive their children to school. A reminder that students are expected to be in their 1st Period classes by 7:30 AM. If a child is late to school because of CBSD transportation, their tardiness will be excused. If a student is late to school because of car trouble, over-sleeping, or they are in the car drop-off line, their tardiness is unexcused. Typically, there are few cars in the drop off line from when the doors open at 7:10 until about 7:20. After 7:20, the line begins to get very long.
If you drive your child to school and the weather is poor, please consider leaving home earlier so that your child arrives to class on time.
Thanks for your assistance!
Regular School Hours
7:10: Students may be dropped off at Tamanend.
7:10--7:20*: 7th Graders wait in the Auditorium; 8th Graders wait in the Cafeteria; 9th Graders wait in Main Gym
7:20: Classrooms open to students
7:27: Reminder bell rings
7:30: First period classes begin
*Breakfast is available to students in all grades beginning at 7:10 in the Cafeteria.
Middle School Bell Schedule
FROM OUR TECHNOLOGY & INNOVATION DEPARTMENT
Reminder--Laptop Information for 2022-2023
We hope that you had a relaxing summer. Our team is gearing up for the 2022-23 school year which includes handing out student laptops.
The Technology and Innovation Department is excited to kick off our student device distribution. All Central Bucks’ students will either receive a device this year or continue to use the device that was issued last year. Below is a chart that lists the device that will be issued by grade level as well as the cost of the usage fee. On Thursday, August 25, we received a notification the 7th Grade laptops for CBSD middle school students are scheduled to arrive next week. We plan to distribute laptops to 7th Graders the first week of school.
Even if your child has his/her own device, we are asking that you participate in our program to allow for a consistent learning platform for our students. All students in a grade level will receive a device equipped with: internet filtering, software, tech support for break/fix, and access to instructional tools and resources used by our teachers. You can learn more on our FAQ page: https://www.cbsd.org/Page/38121
First Steps for Families:
The first step prior to distribution is to enroll online and pay a usage fee. The usage fee covers the at-home and in-school use of a device, a charger, and insurance for accidental breaks. We have different pricing structures for elementary students as they will pay $15 a year and secondary families will pay $60 in 7th grade and $60 in 10th grade. Each payment for secondary will be good for three years. We have prorated payments for all secondary students who are new to Central Bucks.
Who has to pay the fee?
All students in grades 3-6, 7, 10, 12+, and new families* must complete the steps below prior to receiving a device.
*New students to Central Bucks in secondary will pay a prorated fee. 8th and 11th grade students will pay $40. 9th and 12th grade students will pay $20. These students will complete the user agreement and bring a check made out to CBSD Schools to the device pick-up.
What steps does a family need to take prior to device handout?
- Beginning on August 16th, all families in grades 3-12 should visit: https://www.cbsd.org/1to1
- Parent/Guardian and Student will click on and read the 1:1 Handbook.
- Parent/Guardian signs the user agreement and pays* the user fee via MyPaymentsPlus (MPP). Upon submitting the fee and MPP agreement, you are confirming that you have reviewed the information with your child.
The Fee Table:
*Please note that the fee is reduced for families who are economically disadvantaged. You will see the balance as $0 when entering MPP. All families still need to complete steps 1-3 even if the balance is $0. Additionally, new procedures for Free and Reduced guidelines are being established and sent out next week.
**If you were not given a bag last year, the school can provide one for you. Students in grade 3 will receive a new bag this year.
If you are able to submit a Help Desk ticket for technical questions do so here.
Thank you for your support with the handout this year. We hope that you have an amazing year with your child. On behalf of the Technology and Innovation Department, good luck on the first day of school.
Reminder--Creating a Parent Canvas Account
FROM OUR HEALTH OFFICE
FROM OUR CAFETERIA
Reminder--Expiration of Universal Free Breakfast and Lunch
In anticipation of this, we wish to remind families of the following:
- Eligible families are strongly encouraged to apply for free and reduced lunches. Families may apply through an online application that is safe, secure, and private. Visit cbsd.org/freeandreduced for details. All children in households eligible for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) benefits are eligible for free meals. If you have questions about your family’s eligibility, please send email to Renee Ziccardi at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact your school nurse.
- When the waiver expires, students may again purchase lunch, a la carte items, or snacks through their MySchoolBucks account. Now is a good time to log on, bring your child’s account up to date if money is owed, and update expired payment information. Review frequently asked questions about school lunch accounts on our website. Your child will not be able to utilize their account to purchase a la carte items or snacks if it is past due. If you have questions about your child’s account, or if you believe the balance information is inaccurate, please contact Renee Ziccardi at email@example.com.
Reminder--Free & Reduced Lunch/Breakfast Application
Reminder--Consent to Use Free/Reduced Lunch Status (Information Sharing)
CBSD is currently accepting applications for Free & Reduced Lunch. Students who qualify for the Free and Reduced School Meals Program may also qualify for a variety of needs-based assistance based on their program eligibility. Federal law requires the family’s consent before Central Bucks School District can use or share eligibility status for purposes other than the provision of free or reduced lunch. This information will only be shared if you consent to help provide needs-based assistance to your student that may be beneficial to your family. Your decision to share or not share this information will not in any way affect your eligibility status for the Free and Reduced School Meals Program; it is completely optional.
If your student(s) qualifies for the Free and Reduced School Meals Program, you will receive a notification of a document that needs your attention in the Parent Portal. The Free/Reduced Lunch Information Sharing Consent Form requests permission to use the eligibility status to qualify for various needs-based assistance and programming. You may consent for all areas listed below, decline consent to all areas, or provide partial consent. See the link below for instructions to complete this consent form.
Best wishes for a wonderful start to the school year.
RESOURCES AND ASSISTANCE
Help with Resources
Tamanend is committed to ensuring that every child has a positive experience at our school. We work hard to ensure that we have financial supports in place for families in need. Please be aware that we can help with the following resources:
- Food--pantry with healthy snacks and personal care items available all day outside of Guidance; meals to take home (students and/or parents and guardians can contact Mrs. Consoletti in the Guidance Office or Mrs. Myrtetus in the Health Office); weekend food packages to take home (students and/or parents and guardians can contact Mrs. Consoletti in the Guidance Office or Mrs. Myrtetus in the Health Office)
- Internet access
- Field trips, school supplies, fees
- Holiday gifts
If your family experiences a financial hardship, please feel free to email one of the staff members below so that we may help:
Brian Caughie (Principal) firstname.lastname@example.org
Kyle Dudley (Assistant Principal) email@example.com
Lauren Myrtetus (Certified School Nurse) firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeff Klein (Guidance Counselor and Athletic Director) email@example.com
Mandy Cammann (Guidance Counselor) firstname.lastname@example.org
Andrea Consoletti (Guidance Secretary) email@example.com
GETTING INVOLVED AND STAYING CONNECTED WITH TAMANEND
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (Posted each school day morning on our website and in Canvas. Look for the “Tamanend Announcements” course. Students will self-enroll in this course during the first week of school.
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: firstname.lastname@example.org
Oficina: (267) 893-2900
TMS Parent Council
Thursday, Sep. 29th, 9am
Tamanend Middle School
Parent Council is an open meeting where all parents are welcome to attend to learn more about Tamanend Middle School. Parent Council typically meets on the third Thursday of each month at 9 a.m. Please note that this first meeting will take place on the fourth Thursday. There is no obligation to attend all Parent Councils and there are no elected positions. Parent Council is a forum for parents and school leaders to learn from and with each other, together.