Determining the Meaning of Words:
Figurative, Connotative, and Technical Meanings
Resources for Figurative Language
Step 1: Introduction
2. Make sure you read the entire first page of the link to give you background information on what figurative, connotative, and technical meanings.
3. Optional: word on links at the bottom with a friend to practice. You could always come back to these practice links!
Videos, games, and songs
2. Cut out the squares
3. Lay them upside down on a flat surface
4. Turn one over at a time and determine whether the sentences has an example of a simile, metaphor, personification or hyperbole.
5. If you get it correct, keep the card.
6. If you are incorrect, turn the card over.