Teaching and Learning Hub
October 2015 Newsletter
This Month's Tutorials
- This month's tutorials focus on the following theme: Black History Month. Visual and Performing Arts have provided the resources for a tutorial to use with your students, which you can find on the Teaching and Learning Hub here: http://citybit.southampton-city.ac.uk/course/view.php?id=1498§ion=14
- Jose has also created a session on e-safety to be delivered in tutorials this month, which you can find here: http://citybit.southampton-city.ac.uk/course/view.php?id=1498§ion=14
- Please also remember that you can book additional sessions for your tutorials which can take place whilst you are delivering 1:1's with students. Again, all of the details can be found using the above links.
Embedding English and Maths
NEW: Coaching For All Teachers
Who are the Teaching and Learning Coaches?
Jo teaches Beauty, English and Maths and this will be her fourth year as a Teaching and Learning coach. Jo's strengths lie in being able to understand a lesson from a student's perspective and therefore suggest strategies to improve their engagement and progress.
Julie has a vast teaching experience in adult numeracy and currently teaches on Teacher Training programmes. Her key strengths are: how to ensure that teaching and learning is accessible to students with mental health needs, target setting and assessment for learning.
Eva teaches ESOL and has been teaching at the college since 2013. Eva's key strengths are: classroom management techniques, effective questioning, structuring a lesson and assessment techniques.
Sean teaches Motor Vehicle and has been teaching at the college for three years. His key strengths are: using questioning technique for engagement and differentiation and embedding literacy and numeracy.
Gary teaches Childcare and Health and Social Care, whilst also teaching Maths and English. He has worked at the college for eight years. His strengths lie in classroom management, embedding functional skills Maths and English and using ICT for innovative teaching and learning.
Alice teaches in Horizons and is an English specialist. Her key strengths are; behaviour management, innovative and out of the box teaching ideas/ strategies and embedding English.
Developmental Observations Schedule
- If you would like to receive training on how to observe, contact Hayley Ryan who will organise for you to participate in a joint lesson observation.
- There may be more than one person who comes to observe you. This will either be because one of the observers is in training, or because 20% of our observations are conducted jointly so that we can ensure standardisation.
Themed Learning Walks
Week Beginning 12th October: #1 Knowing the Students/Attendance
We also have a new system of feedback from our themed learning walks: observers will leave you a 'calling card' if they visit your lesson letting you have some feedback on what they saw.
Remember that the purpose of our themed learning walks is to identify and then share best practice across the college.