Do Plants need Sunlight??
Integrated Engineering Lesson
- TSWB able to fully understand the importance of sunlight and water are to plants.
- TSWB able to determine if plants need, or don't need sunlight water and sunlight.
Next Generation Science Standards
2-LS2-1. Plan and conduct an investigation to determine if plants need sunlight and water to grow.
LS2.A: Interdependent Relationships in Ecosystems
Plants depend on water and light to grow. (2-LS2-1)
What is the Problem?
Do plants need light and water to grow?
Gather Information - What has been done to solve the problem? What science concepts are in effect here?
- Where are most plants/crops grown?
Things to remember:
Imagine - What are the constraints and criteria? What are many ideas that could solve this problem?
Brainstorm ideas such as:
- fields/crops, greenhouses, etc.
- Need of water.. how much?
Plan - Select a best design that meets the constraints and criteria.
Plant and label the experiment cups
Gather the following materials:
Six bean seeds
Grow light (optional)
Create - Make the prototype and test it
- Students will continue to water one plant in sunlight and one in the cupboard and leave one in both spaces with no water.
- Students will continually check on progress and document the results in a notebook.
What needs to be changed overall?
Have a class discussion on details for what will be the best solution to plant growth.
- Less water, more sunlight, etc.
- Come up with a final solution.