Third Grade Cardinal Chronicle
April 29, 2016
Mrs. Johnston's Class
Follow us on Twitter: @MrsTJohnston
Upcoming Dates to Remember
May 4- A.C.E.S.- wear exercise clothes and tennis shoes
May 20 - Field Day
May 21 - Geist 5K
May 26 - Last student day
Next Week's Special Area Classes
- Monday- Day 2 PE
- Tuesday- Day 3 Music
- Wednesday- Day 4 Art
- Thursday- Day 5 PE
- Friday- Day 6 Music
Here's What's Happening in Mrs. Johnston's Class
- This week we will talk more about fiction stories with a specific focus on the PLOT.
- We will also begin working with Reader's Theatre.
- We have started partner book talks. The students have chosen a partner and a book and they are reading at their own pace and having conversations based on their book. I will be meeting with each of these partnerships as well as individuals.
- We will continue to do Daily 5 activities where students have the opportunity to read and write independently.
- We will continue our unit on data collection and analysis.
- The students will collect data, make a frequency tables, and make their own graphs.
- The students will learn how to interpret data from several types of graphs.
- We will begin exploring probability.
- Students will work on forming paragraphs when writing. We will look at mentor text for inspiration.
- Students will continue to write about topics of their choice.
- We will be writing on a website call storybird.com and continuing our writing at nightzookeeper.com. They can write on either of these websites at home! :)
- We will continue our unit on our community...Fishers, IN!! The students have chosen a topic they would like to know more about and will continue to explore Fishers, IN. We hope to contact Mayor Fadness and a historian at Conner Prairie.
- We are continuing to learn about the United States during our Mystery Skype's. We learn so much about map skills and directions during this fun time. This week we Skyped with our new friends in Arizona! Who will it be next week??
The Genius Hour fun and excitement continues. The students LOVE this time of the week! If you can imagine it... you can explore it!! We continue to study topics of our choice during Genius Hour ...one of best times of the week! We are learning and growing so much during this time. Ask your child what they are exploring right now for Genius Hour!
In the works during our genius hour time...making stress ball, bouncy balls, and cake balls...electronics investigations, animal investigations, how to make a robot...and so much more! We are growing chefs, engineers, biologists, veterinarians, and most of all...question askers and answer finders! :)
NEWS FROM THE THORPE CREEK OFFICE
BOX TOPS AND LABELS FOR EDUCATION
Hello TCE Parents!
We are doing an amazing job this year! We have collected over
Box Tops and
Labels for Education since June! (WOO-HOO!)
To help motivate you and your children to continue to collect and submit these valuable pieces of cardboard and labels, I’d like to remind you all about a series of contests that have been implemented. Please see below for the details …
Each student who turns in Box Tops and / or Labels for Education will be entered into a drawing, of which 3 lucky students (chosen at random) will receive a goodie bag! The top collector will also be awarded an amazing prize! As an added bonus, I will keep track of what was turned in by who so that the class with the most submitted by the end of the year (for each grade!) will receive something special!
Please be sure that the Box Tops and Labels for Education are taped on their respective pages (or that they are in a sealed baggie) and that your child’s name, grade and teacher’s name is put on the page. Thank you, in advance for your efforts!
Winter Contest (December - February)
Collection Deadline: Friday, February 19th
Winners announced: Friday, February 29th
Spring Contest (March - May)
Collection Deadline: Friday, May 12th
Winners announced: Friday, May 19th
I will be picking up the Box Tops and Labels for Education on Friday afternoons so please feel free to turn in your sheets as you complete them and I promise to keep a running total for your child!