The Counseling Capsule
From the CYES School Counselors
Week of April 11-15, 2016
Important things to note this week:
The Pillar Color is BLUE.
CUP SYSTEM in CAFETERIA
As stated, each cup has points. What I inadvertently forgot to include was the Bonus point for staying on GREEN the entire lunch period.
Students cups start on Green when they arrive. If students' cup stays on Green the entire lunch period and is not changed at all, they get a bonus point for 4 points total that lunch period.
Students can mark their points earned on the Golden Spatula data posters hanging on the cafeteria bulletin board by the exit door.
Other happenings in April from the counselors include TEST TALKS for Students in grades 3, 4 and 5 who would benefit from learning some extra motivation and testing strategies, in support of SOL success.
Test Talks will take place during Encore time, when the counselors will meet with students one on one for 5 minutes during Encore time. We may pull up a chair in your room or be out in the hallway so as to get the students back to class quickly.
Should parents be able to attend the test talk with their child, a time that is convenient for them before or after school will be scheduled.
Thank you for your support as we support Student Success!
Mrs. Lang's Schedule (Grades 1, 3 and 5)
TEST TALKS with students all week.
Mrs. Lang's Schedule is as follows:
Monday, April 11
8 am Test Talk; T. Simms and parent (grade 5)
9:20 - 10:05 5th Grade Encore (Art) Test Talks- Orr
10:05 - 10:40 Classroom Counseling- BOUCH
11 - 1 Lunch Bunches (Grades 1 and 3)
1 - 2 Test Talks
2 - 2:40 Classroom Counseling - Mrs. McDonald Grade 5 - Careers
3:45 Test Talk, A.Daza and parent (grade 4)
Tuesday, April 12
7:45 Positive Incentive Programs Committee Meeting (PIP- character ed) Location TBA
9:20 - 10 Test Talks - 5th Grade - Art - Payne
AM Attendance Matters
10:50 - 11:35 Encore Time TEST TALKS GRADE 3 - Borror and Crouch
12:30 - 1 Changing Families Lunch Bunch
2:25 - 3 Classroom Counseling - Ms. Paulhamus - Gd 1 Career Match Ups
Wednesday, April 13
8:30 RIP meetings
9:20 - 10 Test Talks - Grade 5 - Art - Woodby
AM Attendance Matters
10:50 - 11:35 Encore Time TEST TALKS GRADE 3 - Bouch
11 - 1 Lunch Bunches Grades 1 and 3
1 - 2:30 IEP eligibility meeting
3:00 - 3:30 Classroom Counseling- Mrs. Ramirez - Grade 1- Jobs Around Town
4 pm - Test Talk - C. Jean Baptiste and parent
7 pm- PTO Meeting
Thursday, April 14
9:20 - 10 Classroom Counseling - Mrs. Jones - Grade 3 - Test Taking Tips
AM Attendance Matters
11- 4 pm Mrs. Lang at KLC for Elementary Department Meeting
Friday, April 15
Field Day - no counseling classes, no groups, no Test Talks.
You Tube videos About Careers:
Sesame Street: Sonia Sotomayor and Abby – Career – explaining what a career is
Florida Gulf Coast University video – about 30 minutes – kids interviewing scientists in careers specific to FL
Biz Kids: A closer look at careers (about 30 minutes)
Kids.gov – 22 short videos (2-4 minutes each) explaining a variety of different careers
NEDS career day clip – about 5 minutes – about a professional dancer
NEDS career day clip – about 5 minutes – about a business owner who opened an ice cream shop
NEDS career day clip – about 5 minutes – about a graphic artist who works with video games
Sesame Street – What’s My Job?
These principles are what we use to guide our collaborative efforts in creating a firm foundation for our school community based upon the Six Pillars of Character.
Briefly, these principles are:
- The school community promotes core ethical and performance values as the foundation of good character.
- The school defines “character” comprehensively to include thinking, feeling, and doing.
- The school uses a comprehensive, intentional, and proactive approach to character development.
- The school creates a caring community.
- The school provides students with opportunities for moral action.
- The school offers a meaningful and challenging academic curriculum that respects all learners, develops their character, and helps them to succeed.
- The school fosters students’ self-motivation.
- The school staff is an ethical learning community that shares responsibility for character education and adheres to the same core values that guide the students.
- The school fosters shared leadership and long-range support of the character education initiative.
- The school engages families and community members as partners in the character-building effort.
- The school regularly assesses its culture and climate, the functioning of its staff as character educators, and the extent to which its students manifest good character.
These 11 principles are the goals of Chris Yung Elementary School and our community as we work together to form new traditions, incentives, and a positive school climate within our school culture.
Bet you didn't know there were 11 of them!
CHARACTER EDUCATION ARTICLES, LINKS, AND RESOURCES
Teaching Good Citizenship - Five Themes
Tips for Creating a Culture of Kindness in Your School
The Responsive Classroom - Why is everyone so nice in here?
WEBSITES and LINKS
Awesome Blog by Barbara Gruener
Have a great week, everyone!