Montera Middle School eBulletin
September 6, 2021
(scroll down for more information)
Cheer tryouts - MOVED TO THE WEEK OF SEPTEMBER 13TH
Today-September 12 - Tootsies & Crush fundraiser
Tuesday, September 7 - Girls Volleyball tryouts, 4:00-5:45 PM
Thursday, September 9 - Family Engagement Night, 6:30-7:30 PM
Friday, September 10 - Girls Volleyball tryouts, 4:00-5:45 PM
Saturday, September 11 - OAL Middle School sports fair, 9:00 AM - 12:30 PM
Sunday, September 12 - Montera Hike and Hang Meetup, 10:00 AM
Tuesday, September 14 - Dads Club garden planning meeting, 7:00 PM
Wednesday, September 15 - Pattys n Buns Fundraiser
Montera School Events and Activities - This Week
Family Engagement Night: A Day in the Life of a Middle School Student
When: Thursday, September 9, 6:30-7:30 PM
Where: Zoom link will be provided on Schoology
Montera Sports Program
Is your student interested in playing sports at Montera? We've completely revamped the website to (hopefully) clearly explain the process to play sports! The website explains which sports are played in what season, how to register for sports, tryout information, and more.
The following sports are our Fall sports. We are still looking for cross country and girls volleyball coaches! These are volunteer positions with practices twice a week and games on Saturdays. Mr. Latimore is coaching volleyball and cross country if we are not able to find a parent coach. Please contact Kenya Latimore at email@example.com if you are interested or have questions.
- Cross Country (co-ed) --> no tryouts - anyone can join. First practice is Thursday, Sept. 9 at 3:45 PM.
- Volleyball (girls) --> tryouts Tuesday, September 7: 4:00 - 5:45 PM, Friday, September 10: 4:00 - 5:45 PM
- Cheer/Dance (co-ed) --> tryouts week of September 13
All updates for tryout dates will be posted on the website.
Montera Hike and Hang Meetup
When: Sunday, September 12th at 10:00 AM
If you are looking for an opportunity to connect and get to know other Toro families, please consider this your invitation...Join us for a casual hike in Redwoods Park on Sunday, September 12th at 10 AM. We will meet at the water fountain at Skyline Gate Staging Area located at 8490 Skyline Blvd, Oakland 94611. Please register HERE so we know you are coming. Bring a water bottle, sunscreen and a hat, and dress in layers. Note: This event is not for students, but is for their parents, guardians, and caregivers to get to know each other.
Montera Lunchtime Volunteers Needed
Hang out during lunch to help supervise students. It's an easy, fun way to get to know your student community, and to help maintain a safe, clean, respectful environment for the students.
Registration and clearance is required to volunteer in Oakland public schools. Once you complete the registration, you will receive an immediate email with clearance options and instructions from firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more details about registrations requirements for OUSD: https://www.oaklandedfund.org/programs/volunteer/parent-volunteers/
Email email@example.com to sign up as a lunchtime volunteer.
Montera's Annual Giving!!
We have raised $10,000, with 30 families donating so far! Thank you so much for your support! Let's keep the momentum going to reach our goal of $35,000 Montera PTO's budget for the 2020-2021 school year is $90,000. Your donation funds $400 teacher stipends, student supplies, and technology support/upgrades. We are asking families to make a gift of at least $300 per student for this school year, or $30 a month for 10 months. Donations are ranging between $10-$2,000. Any amount that you can give is appreciated. Make your tax-deductible gift here: is.gd/give2monteraPTO
Montera Relief Fund is Back to Help Toro Families in Need
Last year the pandemic prompted the Montera community to create the Montera Relief Fund to help Toro families in need. Last year we were able to raise almost $20,000 for groceries, small cash grants distributed confidentially by administrators to families, and a holiday gift drive.
Once again, we have families of students who have been hit hard by COVID and need your help. Trusted Montera staff find out what the families need and personally deliver it. The Coordination of Services Team confidentially handles requests from families.
Can you donate now to help Montera families in need?
If you are a student or family in need of support, reach out to any teacher or staff, Ms. Harambe at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Coach D or Mr. Latimore at email@example.com. All support is confidential.
Other Announcements and Upcoming Events
Join the Montera Dads Club
Who we are:
Here at Montera Middle School, Dads Club is what those involved make it. After these last two years of apocalyptic fire seasons, school strikes, and a pandemic, we think there's a real widespread thirst for community engagement and some major practical needs for the school. Volunteering through Dads Club is one great way to get to know fellow Toro parents and help out. We meet occasionally before pitching in at school events like campus workdays, Fall Fest, and the spring Auction. In-person meetings are preferred to build comradery and, hopefully make things social and fun. But we may also resort to zoom meetings if a quick meeting is in order and that's the consensus.
Dads Club provides a particularly good forum for fathers and father figures who may not otherwise be engaged with school volunteer activities but would like to contribute their talents and skills. Dads Club welcomes all parents and student caregivers regardless of gender.
If you are not interested or available to get involved through Dads Club, feel free to invite your partner or spouse or encourage a friend.
Garden space improvement workday (replacing raised beds, fixing drip systems, sweeping, pruning, and weeding, etc.)
- Planning meeting, Monaghan's, Tuesday, Sept. 14, 7:00 PM
- Garden workday, TBD (tentative dates, Sat., Sept. 25, or Sat., Oct. 2)
Thank you for all you do and we look forward to seeing you on campus and hopefully at DC meetings.
-Jason Holder and Paul Martin
- Latex free band-aids (NOT with antibiotic medication in it) in assorted sizes. EVERY teacher needs at least one box and the front office and nurse's office also need a supply.
- Tweezers for splinters (not the plastic ones)
- Ice packs for PE and front office
- Vomit bucket for front office and pick up waiting area
- Cleansing wipes
- Assorted pads
- Assorted sizes back-up underwear (S/M/L/full-figured)
Add whatever you can think of... Thank you!
Other Important Montera News and Information
Support Montera All Year Round
If your student is feeling ill
Returning to school:
- Get medically cleared (doctor's note or negative PCR test, AND symptoms have improved and student is fever-free for 24 hours - OR -
- 10 days have passed since onset of symptoms and student is no longer feeling ill
If your student tests positive for Covid-19
- Plan on staying home at least 10 days
- Notify the school of the results
- Work with the Contact Tracing Team
COVID Information from the District
- OUSD is required to report every single positive case to the ACPHD.
- A response team conducts contact tracing for each positive case and notifies families of students with prolonged close contact.
- If you are not notified, then your student was not determined to have prolonged close contact with the person who tested positive, so there is not a need to get tested unless your student develops symptoms.
- Vaccinated students do not need to quarantine as long as they are asymptomatic.
- Unvaccinated students who are asymptomatic can do a modified quarantine, continuing to attend school but testing twice a week for two weeks following exposure and not participating in any extracurricular activities.
- Exposed unvaccinated students may choose to stay home for 10 days with an excused absence. If so, they should contact their teachers for assignments during that time.
COVID Testing Information
COVID TESTING: Covid testing is available at multiple OUSD sites throughout Oakland. Find locations and times here.
TESTING PRE-REGISTRATION: Before attending an OUSD Covid testing site for the first time, you must register here. This is a one time only registration and can be done at any time. Families are encouraged to pre-register so they are ready to go should they need to get tested.
Montera Middle School
This eBulletin is produced on a weekly basis by the Montera Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) except on holidays. It sometimes contains paid advertisements. These advertisements do not imply endorsement of any product or service by OUSD or Montera Middle School.
If you have news you'd like to include, please send it to eBulletin@monterapto.com by noon on Sundays. Submissions may be edited for spelling, grammar, brevity and clarity. In addition, while we strive for accuracy, being human sometimes gets in the way. If you spot something so off the mark we should hang our heads in embarrassment, please bring it to our attention. Thanks!
Be Safe. Be Kind. Be Responsible.