Whats in the Cook Book This Month?
Providing college students with tips & tricks in the kitchen
April 2016- Issue 1
Most Popular Food of the Month!
The reason why pasta is the most popular food for this months newsletter is because pasta is so easy to make, yet you can customize it to your favorite. I love pasta, it is almost my favorite food to eat, whether its just rose sauce, cream sauce, veggies pasta, or red sauce with ground beef; you can do so many things with pasta you would never get sick of it!
So what i am asking all my viewers is for this month try cooking pasta in different ways you have never eaten it before. It is so simple and takes no time to make but like i mentioned you can choose so many toppings to change it up from the regular red sauce.
Besides different toppings there are also many different types of pasta that taste so different from one another. For Example, ones that are healthier, lasagna, Potato pasta, spaghetti, & penne. All of these types of pasta are so different from one another how could you EVER get sick of it.
Fav 10 Food Facts!
- Carrots were originally purple
- Honey is the only food that will NEVER rot
- Cheese is the most stolen food in the world
- The average apple contains about 130 calories
- The sweet potato is a root vegetable and is not closely related to the potato
- Ripe cranberries will bounce like rubber balls
- About 70% of Olive Oil being sold is not actually pure olive oil
- Coconut water can be used as blood plasma
- Eating bananas can help fight depression
- Honey is made from nectar and bee vomit
Top Recipe of the Month!
- Smoked Salmon
- Red Onion
- Goat Cheese
- Olive Oil
Start with cutting the baguette on an angle approximately one inch thick. You then soften the goat cheese for a few seconds in the microwave. Next you spread the goat cheese on the baguette slices evenly, and then add a slice of smoked salmon to each slice of bread. You then add some thin slivers of red onion and sprinkle with some capers. Garnish with some dill if you wish, but that is all up to you. At the end you then drizzle the baguettes with a bit of olive oil.
There you go, the Smoked Salmon & Goat Cheese Appetizer
Top Fail in the Kitchen for the Month
Long story short i ended up making 84 cookies!!! For my family of four... I know your probably all laughing, and i would be too it was a huge fail on my part. Just goes to show you how important it is to read the directions and the ingredients carefully because you do not want to make this mistake! Send me a personal message if you have had any kitchen fails.
Food Account #1
Food Account #2
Food Account #3
Tips to try in the Kitchen!
Well here we go, when in the kitchen try...
- Using a scale for baking
- Use egg shells to remove egg shells
- Put a wooden spoon on top of a boiling pot to keep water from bubbling over
- Keep your knives sharp
- Freeze liquids in useable portions
- Freeze as flat as possible for more space in the freezer
- Slice avocados in their skin
- Read the recipe first
- Partially freeze meat before slicing
- Try putting an egg in a glass of water and if it floats it is fresh, if it sinks you know the egg is getting old
Notes From Mia!
Thanks again ladies & gents.