May 28, 2020
Message from Mrs. Taormina
Congratulations to all of our students for finishing another year. I know that this was not the way we anticipated ending our year, but I am so impressed with our students and how they persevered during this time. To our 5th graders who are moving on to middle school, I am sure you are disappointed that we are not able to celebrate you in person as you promote to middle school. Please know that we are so proud of you and the work you have done at Oster.
Special thanks to our parents who are on the front lines with their kids working and teaching. Thank you for being so patient and flexible during school closures. I am amazed when I pop into virtual classrooms and see our students participating in distance learning. I know what a challenge it is to coordinate devices and time for students to do their work. I would also like to thank the parents who have put in countless hours before and during school closures volunteering and helping around the school. I would like to give a special shout out to the parents who are members of HSC and SSC for being awesome partners to the school. We would not be able to do the incredible things we do at Oster if it was not for our families.
I am so very grateful to be part of the Oster Community. Thank you for making this an incredible year. Wishing everyone a wonderful summer break.
Drive-By: Pick up and drop off of Personal Materials
Drive-By: Pick up and drop off of Personal Materials
All grades will have a scheduled time to pick up materials and drop off library books.
To make the process run smoothly and keep a safe social distance, a schedule by grade has been created. Only the specified grade levels will be served during each time frame. If you have students in more than one grade/class, please come during the “missed appointments” time slot (this will save you from multiple trips).
Directions for pick-up/ drop off:
Please make a sign at home with your child. (Consider this a distance learning art activity: Let’s see some School Spirit: Signs should contain student’s name, room # and/or teacher name. It will be ok to bring your student and they can wave and say hi from the car. We would love to see our students, even if just from the car window.
Please follow signage and directions from staff members in the driveway. NO PARKING.
Families must stay in the vehicle at all times.
A staff member/teacher will deliver your items.
Cars should pull up as families leave and pop open the trunk if possible.
We will place the bag in your trunk and close it so you can leave.
Once you have received your items, depart just like you do at pickup/dropoff.
Summer Device Access
For All Returning Students
Students who are returning to the district next year are highly encouraged to keep their devices over summer break, so students can continue to access learning resources. Please email email@example.com if you have any questions.
For 5th Graders going to 6th Grade at Dartmouth or Union Middle School:
5th graders going to sixth grade in our district are strongly encouraged to pick-up their Chromebook if they have not done so already. Students can still pick up their devices by filling out the form at: http://bit.ly/usd-chromebook Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Students Leaving the District:
If you are unenrolling your student from the district, you must return the school-issued device, charger, and case at the end of the year scheduled drive-through pick-up/drop-off at your school site. Returned devices need to be checked-in by the site tech. Please email email@example.com if you have any questions.
Oster Challenge Runs Through July!
It's not too late to have your student participate in the last challenge of the year. Oster is joining other students around the world in the Linked by Love challenge. The goal of this challenge is to join with other students from all around the world and participate in setting a Guinness World Record by creating a 110+ mile inspirational paper-chain. The goal will be to collect 1.5 million links of recycled/reused paper, each with a message of love & hope for the world. Once “social-distancing” is lifted and it is again safe to gather in groups, the Kids for Peace organization will assemble the Linked By Love paper-chain. After the chain is officially measured for the Guinness World Record, they plan to distribute sections to hospitals, senior centers, libraries, and more as a beautiful reminder that we are all Linked By Love!
Everyone in the entire world is invited to create links for our global Linked By Love paper-chain!
Links for the paper-chain must be postmarked by August 1, 2020.
Links for the paper-chain will be mailed to Kids for Peace Headquarters:
Kids for Peace, 1302 Pine Avenue, Carlsbad, CA 92008, USA
How To Create Love Links
It’s easy! Follow the steps below:
1. Gather Recycled/Reused Paper – Let’s be mindful of the environment. The goal is to make the entire paper-chain from recycled or reused paper. The weight of the paper should be thin enough to easily mail/bend and thick enough to create a sturdy link in the paper-chain.
Suggested materials: cereal/food boxes, craft paper scraps, brown paper shopping bags, large mailing envelopes.
2. Measure & Cut Links – Each strip must be between 11 inches – 18 inches long and 1.5 inches wide. You may make as many links as you’d like. There is no limit per person!
3. Decorate Links with Love & Hope – You can get as creative as you’d like as you share messages of LOVE and HOPE for the world, however, they ask that you avoid gluing 3-dimensional objects that may create waste/litter when assembled. Use markers, paint, crayons, sharpies, pencils, or pens. They will feature many of the links on their website and on social media to inspire the world.
4. Place Your Links In An Envelope – You may fold the links in half if needed to fit in your envelope. DO NOT turn your links into a chain – they will assemble the chain once the “social distancing” mandate is lifted. There is no form necessary to accompany the links. (They want to eliminate as much paper waste as possible!)
6. Mail Your Links to Kids for Peace HQ – Put the finished links in an envelope addressed to Kids for Peace. Please include your return address on the envelope so they can track where all the links are coming from. Add the necessary postage.
7. Optionally, click HERE to stay informed of the Guinness World Record progress and to let them know that your Linked By Love paper links are on their way!
For more information on Links of Love, click here: Learn More