Weekly UPDATE GAVS Faculty
July 30, 2014
July 30 – DCs complete course checks.
July 30 - Open House 7pm
August 1 - Fall course setup corrections completed.
August 4 – 18 week student start date
August 5 – D2L Help Session 18 wk students 11am.
August 5 – AP Student/Parent Night 2pm and 7pm
August 7 – D2L Help Session 18 wk students 7pm.
What is the process for course corrections?
Course Correction Form: https://docs.google.com/a/gavirtualschool.org/spreadsheet/viewform?usp=drive_web&formkey=dHF6UVhoWlNwUjM2VEh5b2ZTb05aaFE6MA#gid%3d0
-Professional Development Tracks will be offered this school year. Teachers will receive a survey soon.
-VSLA - Differentiation Module - https://docs.google.com/a/gavirtualschool.org/document/d/1X6kPfBsktqFn5yKNWbB10mkdgQvruOvhcSBPJHpvFdk/edit-Recruitment - Please continue to refer outstanding colleagues to Georgia Virtual Learning/Careers. https://docs.google.com/a/gavirtualschool.org/forms/d/15qkx9YbVXpi1DdtH6Iqk4pqG8bE4GwwZvXIyZ1v0ATA/viewform
Graphic created by Carrie Madden
Extension Request Process
Erin Hill and Kelly Walker will review extension requests.
Requests to be submitted by parent, facilitator, teacher
Documentation/requests can be faxed to 770-357-3704 or emailed to email@example.com
2 day turn-around
Extension will be for all classes-not individualized by class.
- Erin will contact DC or instructor(s) if any additional information is required and will then communicate the final decision and plan to the instructor, student, and stakeholders..
GaVS will conduct a pilot program of EdReady with AP courses, 11th grade core courses and SAT Prep courses in Fall semester (18 and 16 week students only).
EdReady is a college readiness system that provides a personalized, self-paced, skill strengthening program to improve students’ college readiness.
Time frame: first nine weeks of Fall 2014 semester
Information will be sent to teachers of these classes on Wed. and Thurs.
List of Courses in pilot: EdReady Pilot Courses
Suicide Prevention Course
All instructors and instruction staff are required to complete an online suicide prevention training course.
Deadline for completing and uploading certificate of completion is August 31, 2014.
Users will need to create an account to complete the course.
Upload certificate to the FY14-15 Suicide Prevention Training Google folder
Special Accommodations - Reduced Coursework
Instructors, when creating alternate schedules for a SpED student, should email alternate schedules to parent/student through TheSIS
Information on Reduced Coursework has been added to the Teacher Handbook
Contact special needs team with questions.
Reduced Coursework document
Special Needs Consultants Kelly, Alan, and Christina are sending out an informational Smore to all parents and facilitators of special needs students with information and helpful tips for a successful start to the semester. It could also be useful to some new regular ed students if needed. We call it “The Resource Guide for Students”. Link is below:
Encourage new students to create Shmoop accounts:
Click “YES” or “NO” if you’ve ever created a Shmoop Account.
Enter GaVS Magic Word: LANIER.
Create user name and password
PRESTO! You can now visit “My Passes” to access all Shmoop resources.
SHMOOP Resource of the Week: Math Shack
Teachers can set up a Shmoop classroom. Here are instructions:
Information for Teachers and Reminders
Schedules should have something listed to guide students each day. Make sure there are no blank days on the schedules which may lead to students thinking they have the day off
Suggestion: Send email and make welcome calls for 18/16 week students who will be first to access courses. Contact 14/12 week students closer to their start dates.
Suggestion: Send welcome emails through TheSIS. Emails will be documented for QAS and save instructor time. *Instructor will be notified of bounce-back emails at their GaVS g-mail account.
Schedule a welcome chat for 18 week students/post recording link under Links in course.
Use Fall 2014 welcome email, welcome call, and welcome chat templates located in Teacher Forum.
News can be conditionally released. Use section release condition (located under classlist option) to set up news items in advance.
Check out Teacher Toolbox for help with D2L and Best Practices.
Review student Fall 2014 handbook.
- Google Talk Issues in Firefox for windows - Download Plugin Version 18.104.22.16803 and then after it is installed, change the setting to "Always Active". Restart your browser, go to gmail and it works you click on the phone icon.
- D2L section group names have been updated so teachers can easily identify the section numbers. All section names will now show 12 Week, 14 Week, 16 Week, or 18 Week at the beginning of the section name.
- The “2014-2015 GAVS Instruction Calendar” was shared with all teachers. This calendar was automatically added to your Google Calendar account. This calendar includes semester deadlines, progress report due dates, and other important dates. Please make sure you can access the calendar for future reference.
- Teachers might see duplicate students listed with the TheSIS class roster or roster export file. This is due to our Support Team updating school facilitator information. We are aware of the duplicates and this will be corrected in the near future. You could see this issue for next few weeks. We apologize for any inconvenience.