Ray Marsh Newsletter
Oct. 19, 2018
Upcoming Events at RM
- 2nd grade Field Trip to KC Zoo
- Shawnee Fire Department visit w/Kinder-1st grade students
- Trunk-or-Treat 5-7p
- 1st grade Hansford/Yates Field Trip to SMS Lab
- 4th grade Field Trip to KU Nat. History Museum 9:30-2:15p
- 3rd grade Field Trip to Old Shawnee Town 9:00-2:00
- 5th Grade Field Trip to Missouri Town
- Picture Retakes
- Trunk-or-Treat Rain Out Date
- Halloween Parade 1:45p w/parties following (teachers will communicate times with room parents)
Our parade will begin at 1:45p. We utilize the circle drive and front entrance for exiting and re-entering the building. In case of inclement weather, we will have an alternate plan that will be shared that day. *Kindergarten, please check with your teacher as times may be different.
Many times costumes can be frightening to our younger children. We ask you to adhere to the following guidelines for costumes during the school day and ask that you assist your child in selecting a costume which:
- does not depict any violent character - ex) Scream masks, Freddy K, Jason, IT)
- contains no fake blood
- contains no play or look-alike weapons
Parents are not allowed to wear masks as we need to able to identify all visitors while in the building.
We try to help the students realize the possible difference between the costume they wear to school and what they may wish to wear during their evening "Trick or Treat"/Trunk or Treat time. Students should not wear their costumes to school on this day, unless directed by an individual teacher to do so.
Room parents-classroom teachers will communicate with you on a time to come into the building. As a reminder, all volunteers that will be working with students during the party need to be MVP certified!
- Looking for new or used playground equipment. Basketballs, Soccer Balls, Kickballs, and Jump Ropes would all be utilized on a daily basis. These items can be dropped off in the office with Mr. Weishaar.
Niccole Winney, music teacher (personal items)
- Niccole moved here from the Atlanta region straight from college. As many of you know, it takes time to accumulate living items. Niccole is looking for furniture for her apartment to fill it up. Items she could use include a couch, small table and chairs for a dining area, and end tables. If you happen to have any of these items that you're no longer using and/or looking to donate, please email a picture to Niccole at email@example.com. She can see if it will fit in her apartment and would help in furnishing her living space.
In the News
At the invitation of Foo Fighter’s lead singer Dave Grohl, Collier Rule, a fifth-grader from Ray Marsh Elementary School, was invited on stage recently to play guitar. Video of Rule’s performance at the concert gained widespread attention, including a tweet from the band Metallica, who complimented his performance.
Rule returned to school this week and talked to his classmates about the experience. Click here to see a video.
“If you have a passion for something you should just do it,” Rule told his classmates.
His teacher, Kristyn Schultz used the moment to inspire a student writing exercise about dreams they would like to accomplish. Having generated a lot of attention on social media, Rule has started an effort to support a friend who has been struggling with illness.
Bully Presenter 4th-6th grade
It is SOCKTOBER and Cougar Council is holding its 2nd annual sock drive. Please help fill up our main hall display by donating new socks (either adult or children). All socks will be donated to the Shawnee Mission Clothes Closet at the end of the month.