Titan Talk Newsletter
September 20, 2019
- 9/21 & 9/22 - Japan Fest at Gwinnett Infinite Energy Center
- 9/23 - YELLOW OUT at Elkins Pointe
- 9/24 - Hampton Film Academy @ 4:05 in the Media Center
- 9/24 - “Don't Stop Achieving” Family Night @ 6 pm
- 9/25 - Hat Day - Pay $1 to wear a hat of your choice!
- 9/25 - Reflections Entries Due by 4 pm
- 9/26 - FCA @ 7:45 am in the Media Center
- 9/26 - Hampton Film Academy @ 4:05 in the Media Center
- 9/26 - 6th Grade Tailgate Party @ after-school
- 9/27 - Soccer Game at Taylor Road @ 5:30 pm
- 9/27 - 8th Grade Night @ Milton HS
- 9/30 - Lost & Found donated at the end of the school day
Important to Note:
All Titans are asked to wear yellow
for Suicide Awareness Month
DON'T STOP ACHIEVING FAMILY NIGHT
September 24th @ 6:00 PM
All parents, students, and families invited
to attend a night all about student achievement
REFLECTIONS ENTRIES DUE
September 25th to the front office
Pay $1 to wear a hat
*All proceeds support Jr. Beta
6TH GRADE TAILGATE PARTY
September 26th @ 4:15 pm to 5:30 PM
in the Cafeteria
Tickets: $5.00 per student
Message from the Principal
Parents, thank you for your continued partnership in the education of our Titans. I appreciate all the many parents who came to "6th Grade Bring Your Parents to School Day." Our teachers and students enjoyed having you in class. Thank you also to the parents who came for the Parent Focus Group.
When it comes to food on campus, I need to ask parents to help to maintain a safe environment and follow school policy. Elkins Pointe has a strict policy on no outside food from vendors, e.g., Starbucks, MacDonald's, etc. Candy, desserts, baked goods, or other edible items are not to be sold or distributed during school hours unless approved in advance by the administration.
Help us protect your child by stressing the importance of not eating any food items given to them by another student or person. Please, will you discuss the expectation, regulations, and consequences regarding outside food? The results for noncompliance are as follows: 1) Food items will be confiscated, 2) students may be faced with insubordination, and 3) students who do not adhere to this expectation may be subject to disciplinary action. To ensure safety, students should only eat food items brought from home or in the original, sealed package.
Please join us in this week's activities: On Monday, September 23, our counselors Dr. Erika Edwards and Ms. Dease have asked all students, parents, teachers, and staff to wear yellow for Suicide Awareness Month. On Tuesday, September 24th, "Don't Stop Achieving Night" will take place in the Media Center at 6:00 p.m. On Thursday, September 26th after-school, PTSA will be hosting the "6th Grade Tailgate Party."
Have a wonderful weekend!
Elkins Pointe Middle School
"Every Day, Every Student, College & Career Bound: Go Titans!"
Thank you to the Student Council members who participated in the 9-11 Recognition.
(left to right: Malin, Freya, Carson).
6th Grade Parent Day!
THINGS TO KNOW
Japan Fest - 9/21 & 9/22
The annual Japan Fest will be held next weekend (9/21-22) at Gwinnett Infinite Energy Center! This is the biggest Japanese festival in the Southeast GA, and it has lots of cultural performances, workshops, displays, shops, food, games, etc.! There are many Japanese companies that give away free prizes, too. This year’s festival theme is “traveling” to Japan to enjoy the traditions, natural beauty, and pop culture of the nation that is hosting the 2020 Tokyo Olympics!
Admission is $10 in advance and $12 at the door. For more information, please visit: www.japanfest.org
Wear Yellow for Suicide Awareness - 9/23
September is Suicide Prevention Awareness Month - Elkins Pointe is raising awareness for Suicide Prevention and Awareness. In the United States, suicide is the second leading cause of death for young people. It is also one of the leading causes of preventable death. To support Social-Emotional health at Elkins Pointe, we will be having a "Yellow Out" on Monday, September 23rd. We ask that all student, teachers, staff, and parents join us in wearing YELLOW to raise Suicide Awareness in September.
If you or your child have a concern, please contact one of our caring counselors:
“Don’t Stop Achieving” Family Night - 9/24 @ 6 pm
ALL Elkins families are invited to attend a Family Night called “Don’t Stop Achieving” on Tuesday, 9/24 from 6:00-7:30 PM. The evening will have a quick opener/welcome in the cafeteria and then families can choose 2 sessions to attend. Here are some of the sessions to choose from!
- High School Student Panel: AVID Students from Roswell High School are here to help students learn what they should be doing in middle school to prepare for high school. EPMS students have prepared some questions and they will also take questions from the audience about all things high school.
- Student Hacks, Apps, and Tips: Mrs. Tongue will go through some great resources for students and parents. Students can learn how to utilize technology to work smarter, not harder.
- Infinite Campus How-To and Rosetta Stone for English Learners: Want to stay current on your student’s grades? Our Parent Liaisons, Lisa Cowles & Koritza Rodriguez, will lead this session to help families become more familiar with this great tool. (Ayuda en Español tambien)
- College, Career Pathways, and Dual Enrollment...Oh My! Come learn from about the possibilities for your child in high school and beyond!
- Dual Enrollment in High School: We may be able to get a Milton & RHS AP to lead this session… Lisa’s working on it
REFLECTIONS CONTEST SUBMISSIONS DUE SEPTEMBER 25
The Reflections Program is a National PTA and Georgia PTA cultural arts competition. Since 1969, over 10 million students across the nation have taken part in this popular PTA program.
This year’s theme is "LOOK WITHIN."
The purpose of this program is to provide an opportunity for students to use their creative talents by expressing themselves through their own original works. The excitement and enthusiasm that the program generates for students, parents, schools, and communities is unmatched with the majority of Georgia PTAs participating in the program at all PTA levels.
A student may submit an entry in any of six arts areas. Only original works of art are accepted. The six art areas are: Visual Arts Photography, Literature, Music Composition, Dance Choreography, and Film Production. There is no limit to the number of entries a student can submit!
Pick up an entry form and rules at the front office or download here.
6th Grade Tailgate - 9/26 @ 4:05 to 5:30 pm
6th Grade Tailgate Party is on Thursday, September 26th, after school from 4:05 pm to 5:30 pm. The tickets cost $5 admission per student
Ticket go on sales from
- 9/18 – 9/26 in the atrium at 8:00 a.m. before school
- 9/18 – 9/26 in the atrium during 6th grade lunch
- Online: https://epms.memberhub.store
Included with each ticket...pizza, chips, & drinks! All 6th graders must have a signed permission form to attend the party. Attendance bracelets will be distributed in WINN class the day of the event, Sept. 26th.
TAILGATE VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: The Elkins Pointe PTSA would like to invite you to help us make the 6th Grade Party/Dance a HUGE success! The dance is scheduled for Thursday, September 26 after-school from 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
We need help with Ticket Sales, Set-Up, Clean-Up, etc. The more people volunteer, the easier it becomes!
- Please click HERE or on the box below to sign up!
- ALL VOLUNTEERS MUST COMPLETE FCS VOLUNTEER TRAINING.
If you have any questions about the dance or volunteering, please contact Claire Robinson @ email@example.com
🍑 Georgia Trip On Our Minds - 10/2-10/4
GEORGIA TRIP INFO FOR PARENTS
Click HERE to view and download the information sheet for the trip.
GEORGIA TRIP MEDICATION FORMS
If your child will need to take medications, please complete the forms and turn in to Mrs. Streeter. Note: This form includes over the counter medications such as Tylenol, Advil, etc. If your child will be bringing ANY MEDICATION on the Georgia Trip, it is a Fulton County requirement to complete these forms below.
GEORGIA TRIP REMIND COMMUNICATION
Please sign up for Remind101 for the Georgia Trip as a way to keep current with all updates.
- Enter this number: 81010
- Text this message: @c4kcg9e
KEEP CUTTING THOSE BOX TOPS! Due by 10/25
Our first Box Tops collection deadline for this school year is right around the corner. We will collect for the fall submission until October 25, 2019.
NOTE: Box Tops is transitioning to online/app credit only, but for now we can still submit paper box tops. So, make sure you send all your paper box tops in right away so that we are sure to get credit.
Please carefully trim your box tops and ensure that all submitted box tops have expiration dates on or after November 1, 2019. Box Tops expiring prior to this date cannot be submitted. Place all Box Tops in a baggie and turn them into the school store (located to the right of the Atrium.)
Box Tops can be clipped from participating products. See the full list of products here: http://www.boxtops4education.com/participating-products.
You can also earn Box Tops for Elkins Pointe via a free app that you can download in the App Store. Just download the app, and check for offers each time you shop. After checkout, simply redeem the offer in the app and scan your receipt within 14 days of purchase. Points from the offers are added to our online account within hours of your purchase. (PLUS you can still clip the Box Tops on these products and submit them for the general submission).
Each Box Top is worth $0.10 - schools can earn thousands of dollars through this program! Our goal is to raise at least $400 this year through this program. We need your help in meeting our goal. Note that our feeder elementary schools raise $1,000 or more at their schools, so please think of sending some of your Box Tops to Elkins Pointe!
THINGS FOR PARENTS!
THIS IS THE YEAR TO VOLUNTEER!
The PTSA is looking to fill several chairperson roles and could really use your help. Please consider helping out this year so that we can make this a great year for our students. Grab a friend or two and make it a fun experience for all of you!
o We are looking for a parent to head up Spirit Wear. As Spirit Wear Chairperson, you would work with the Fundraising VP to continue promoting our spirit wear collection, coordinate the pick-up and the delivery of items ordered. Please email Michelle Hicks at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
o We are looking for one or two parents to help with our Box Tops Coordination and submittal. If you are a working parent who is looking for an easy way to pitch in, this is a great opportunity. Please email Michelle Hicks at email@example.com if you are interested.
o We are also looking for a few 7th Grade parents to chair the 7th Grade Party/Dance. The event takes place in October. If you are interested in helping with this activity, please email Meghan Fox at firstname.lastname@example.org. The students love these parties! (The parents had a blast too.)
BE A RAD DAD!
The Dads Club is just about the easiest way for our EPMS men to make a difference in the lives of Elkins Pointe students. There are no regular commitments or meetings. You donate your time as your schedule allows.
Here’s how it works:
Throughout the year, we will send Dads Club members communications asking for help with various chores, events, or activities. If your schedule allows you to donate your time for the requested activity, great! If you can’t, then you can help out at a later activity that fits your schedule. Because of this laid back approach, Dads Club needs lots of members so that there will always be some dads available to help out. You don’t even have to be a father of an EPMS student! Guardians, granddads, uncles, big brothers, etc. are all welcome to join.
Be a role model and show your support for our middle school by joining the Elkins Pointe Dads Club. Send Kelly Ross an email email@example.com and let him know you’d like to join!
ALWAYS LOOKING FOR BUSINESS PARTNERS
If you have a business that you would like to market through the school, consider the Business Partner Program! Contact Michelle Cisneros-Hicks @ firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
School Store Volunteers Needed!
Did you realize we have an amazing school store?? The EPMS school store is a fun and easy way to help out at the school. Open from 8:00-8:50 Tuesday-Friday and your EPMS kids can help out as well if they want! Use link below to sign up.
Contact Kelly Evers for details and to discuss training before 1st day. Email: email@example.com
Student Council Meetings: The meeting dates for StuCo are the 1st and 3rd Thursday of each month in Room E-106 at 8:00 am. Student Council meeting dates for the fall semester are Sept 19th, Oct 3rd, Oct 17th, Nov 7th, Nov 21st, Dec 5th, and Dec 19th. Chair: Mrs. Malikah Williams
Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA): FCA meets every Thursday at 7:45 am in the Media Center. Chick-fil-A chicken biscuits are offered for sale, $3 each or 2 for $5. Chair: Mr. Billups
Interact Club: Interact Club meets every other Friday at 8 am at 8:00 am in room E-114. Note: There is no meeting on October 3rd. Chair: Mrs. Shantae Streeter
Jr. Beta Club: Jr. Beta meets every other Wednesday after school in the media center from 4:20-5:00 pm. The next meeting is on September 18th. Each month the students plan the events with Chair Ms. Micheaux White. • The Jr. Beta events planned thus far for 2019: September 16 -October 16 (Hispanic heritage month trivia). September 25th - "Hat day in support of Jr. Beta. Jr. Beta will collect $1 in the atrium that morning. October 30- November 22 - North Fulton Charities Thanksgiving canned food drive (bins will be set up around the school to collect canned goods). December 2 - December 20th "Toys for Tots" toy drive- Bins in the media center and atrium to collect toys for tots • The Jr. Beta events for 2020: January 10th - Hat day in support of Jr. Beta- $1, Feb 3 to February 28 - Black History Month trivia. The WINN class that answers the most questions correctly earns a Krispy Kreme. Black History Designing Door competition will also win a prize. Feb. 13th - Wear red day for Heart Disease Awareness. Students wearing red get a treat. Feb 20-21 - Jr. Beta Teacher Appreciation Day, students will leave a positive message for teachers and staff during lunch. Messages will be posted in the teachers' lounge. Teachers will be given goodie-bags as well, placed in mailboxes. Spring Book Drive from March 2 - March 31 - Bring a book and earn a small treat, books to be donated. April 26 - Autism Awareness Walk (Atlanta). Induction Ceremony will be on May 6th from 5:00-6:00 pm in the Media Center. • More things to come Spring 2020: *(Working on dates to read to Hembree students) once this semester and once next semester *Chattahoochee River Clean-Up (Spring 2020) * Fur Kids (Read to cats to help socialize them for adoption) Most of the cats are disabled
THINGS TO CONNECT WITH IN THE COMMUNITY
Jeep Raffle for RHS Marching Band
(View the commercial below)
Spin With the Eagles - Register by 10/4 for Homecoming 10/18
The Milton High School Band and Color Guard have a program, Spin with the Eagles, during Halftime of the Homecoming game that invites students from K- 8th grade to perform with the Band. This years homecoming is October 18th.
Registration to participate is due by October 4th.
Questions? Contact Diana Corbin, Guard VP at 404-667-7715 or firstname.lastname@example.org
THINGS NOT TO MISS!!
- 10/2 -10/4 - 8th Grade Georgia Trip
- 10/7- Chorus Concert @ 6:30 p.m. in Gym
- 10/11 - FCS Teacher Workday (students off)
- 10/12 - Roswell Youth Day Parade @ 9:30 a.m.
- 10/14 - Columbus Day Holiday (schools closed)
- 10/16 - Katha Stuart Meeting: RHS @ 6:30 p.m.
- 10/17 - 7th Grade Dance Party @ after-school
- 10/21 to 10/25 - Bus Driver Appreciation Week
- 10/21 to 11/1 - Iowa Testing (ITBS) 8th Grade Window
- 10/23 - Picture Retakes with Cady Studios
- 10/23 - Digital Safety Parent University Workshop @ 6 p.m.
- 10/24 - Orchestra Fall Concert in EPMS Gym @ 7 p.m.
- 10/28 to 11/1 - Red Ribbon Week
- 10/29 – 8th Grade Band Cluster Concert @ Milton 6:30 p.m.
- 10/31 - Parent Resource Open House @ 9:30 a.m.
- 10/31 - Lost & Found donated at end of the school day
- 11/4 to 11/8 - Book Fair (set-up on 11/1)
- 11/4 to 11/8 - French National Week
- 11/4 - 6th & 7th Grade Band Concert @ 6:30 p.m.
- 11/5 - FCS Professional Day (students off)
- 11/7 - Student-Led Data Talks @ 6 p.m.
- 11/11 - Veterans Day: EPMS honors our veterans
- 11/20 - Katha Stuart Meeting: MPES @ 9:30 a.m.
- 11/21 - Lost & Found donated at end of the school day
- 11/22 - EPMS RFF Day (EPMS students off)
- 11/25 to 11/29 - Thanksgiving Break (schools closed)
- 12/3 - Rising 9th Grade Parent Meeting @ 6 p.m. (English)
- 12/5 - Rising 9th Grade Parent Meeting @ 6 p.m. (Spanish)
- 12/10 - Band Holiday Concert @ EPMS 6:30 p.m. ALL grades
- 12/11 - Katha Stuart Meeting: VMES @ 9:30 a.m.
- 12/12 - Chorus Holiday Concert @ EPMS 6:30 p.m.
- 12/12 - Spelling Bee @ 9 a.m.
- 12/20 - Lost & Found donated at end of the school day
- 12/20 - Last Day of First Semester
- 12/23 to 12/31 – Winter Break (schools closed)