Lincoln Crossing Colt Connection
April 28, 2019
Mrs. Hladun's Tidings
New Schools UpdateHave you noticed the progress at the new HS site? They hosted their formal groundbreaking ceremony on 4/24! Drum roll...I heard from the district that all the paperwork is complete to move forward on Scott Leaman Elementary School! The groundbreaking ceremony is scheduled for 4/30! Stay tuned for information on boundaries, staffing and more - as we get information from the district, we'll be sure to share it with you!
Health Office Updates
- If you do not have medical insurance or you have medi-cal, the county is offering free immunization clinics - click here for details.
- It's getting sunny out - we encourage you to apply sunscreen to your child before he/she comes to school. However, if your child needs to reapply throughout the day, he/she can bring sunscreen to school (lotion style) as long as he/she can apply it without peer/staff support and your child does NOT share the sunscreen with peers.
Volunteering on Campus
We love having families on campus, but we ask that you are on campus when you have a purpose (volunteering in a classroom or joining your child for lunch occasionally) and not in the last 30 min of the day unless you have an appointment with your child's teacher. If you come before school, please say your goodbyes at the gate or on the blacktop rather than walking your child all the way to his/her room. A reminder that if you are waving goodbye from a perimeter fence, our staff may ask you to go to the office to get a visitor's badge - we have tons of parents and we can't always tell friend from foe from afar while we are also trying to supervise children.
It's wonderful for families to engage with their students at school, but it's also helpful for your child to build his/her capacity to come to and be at school independently of you. We promise to call if there is a serious concern that requires your attention or support!
Also a reminder that if you are on campus, you must be TB tested (with paperwork on file in our office) and if you are working with students 1:1 or in small groups independently of the teacher, you must also be LiveScan cleared - our office staff can get you the details/paperwork! If you've been Live Scanned at any school in our district, it is valid at all schools in our district!
Upcoming Events - Save the Dates!
Volunteer Thank You Breakfast - Tues., 5/21, 7:30-8:30 am in the LCES LibraryWe LOVE our volunteers and they are an important part of what makes LCES a special place to be. If you (or a member of your family) volunteers in a classroom, as a docent, as a WatchDOG, as a part of our PTC or in any other fashion, we hope you'll join us at our annual Volunteer Thank You! This year it will be held as a breakfast on Tuesday, May 21 from 7:30-8:30 am in the Library. We'll be providing supervision on the blacktop for school aged children starting at 7:30 am so that you can enjoy some 'adult time.' Click here for more information.
LCES Student Talent Show & PTC End of Year BBQ - Wed., 6/5, 4:30pm in the MPR/Blacktop
Our Colts are a talented bunch - come check out their singing, dancing, comedy and more - doors open at 4:15 and the show begins at 4:30 pm. Tickets are $2 for adults and $1 for chidlren and will be sold at the door. Immediately following (around 6 pm) will be our annual PTC Family Night and BBQ - featuring the WatchDOGS obstacle course, APEX's DJ JJ on tunes, a free BBQ and playground games! There is no cost for families to come to the BBQ! Click here for more information.
Trimester 3 Awards
Your teacher will let you know if your child will be honored at our awards ceremony, but if you want to put the date/time in your calendar, click here or find information below:
Monday, June 3rd:
- 1st grade - 8:20 am
- 2nd grade - 9:05 am
- 3rd grade - 10 am
Wednesday, June 5th:
- 4th grade - 10:20 am
Thursday, June 6th:
- 5th grade - during their breakfast (your teacher will provide details)
Friday, June 7th:
- Kindergarten - during their end of year celebration (your teacher will provide details)
Families of students in Grades 3-5
The assessments are not timed and you can talk to your teacher about specific testing dates/times of day. In general, though:
- 5th grade will be giving their assessments in the first 2 weeks of May (to allow plenty of time for make ups before Fort Bragg!)
- 4th grade will be giving their assessments in the 2nd and 3rd week of May
- 3rd grade will be giving theirs in the 1st-3rd weeks of May
- if a student needs more time or is absent, we'll work with him/her to coordinate their make up testing, so no need for any anxiety about finishing! We always get it done! :)
A few reminders:
- Students can NOT wear smart watches or have cell phones in the testing space. Please leave them at home, but if they do come to school, expect that we will ask your child to power them off and put them in their backpacks; this is per the testing rules.
- There are many listening components of the tests. PLEASE send in a pair of headphones for your child to wear so that we can minimize the spread of germs and bugs.
- Please be sure your child comes to school well rested, having had a healthy breakfast (high protein is awesome!) and that he/she brings a healthy snack (or two) to keep their brain fueled.
- Please be sure your child arrives to school ON TIME (in the gate before 8:10 am) so he/she isn't flustered when walking into class after testing may have started
Also, this year, the assessment results will be made available digitally only through the PowerSchool portal. This is a new development, so stay tuned for details!
Week of April 29th:
- SBAC/CAST testing begins in grades 3-5 (check with your teacher for details)
- Mon., 4/29: Early Release Day
- Mon., 4/29, 1-1:40 pm: Leadership Ambassador Council Meeting
- Mon., 4/29, 1:45-2:40 pm: Choir Practice
- Tues., 4/30, lunchtime: Leadership Ambassador Action Team Meetings (Beautification & Kindness)
- Tues., 4/30, 2:45 pm-3:45 pm: Math Tutoring for invited 2nd graders
- Tues., 4/30, 6-8 pm: PTC Skate Night - 100% of proceeds come back to LCES PTC! Teachers will be skating, too!
- Tues., 4/30, 6-7:30 pm: WPUSD Spanish Immersion Program Info Meeting (click here)
- Wed., 5/1, lunchtime: Leadership Ambassador Action Team Meeting (Cares)
- Wed., 5/1, 2:45-3:45 pm: Math Tutoring for invited 1st, 4th and 5th graders
- Thurs., 5/2, 2:45-3:45 pm: Math Tutoring for invited 3rd, 4th and 5th graders
- Thurs., 5/2, 3-4:30 pm: Talent Show Auditions
- Fri., 5/3: Colt Pride Day
- Fri., 5/3: TBMS Color Run (click for details/registration)
Week of May 6th:
- Staff Appreciation Week
- SBAC/CAST testing continues in grades 3-5 (check with your teacher for details)
- Mon., 5/6: Early Release Day
- Mon., 5/6, 1-1:40 pm: Leadership Ambassador Council Meeting
- Mon., 5/6, 1:45-2:40 pm: Choir Practice
- Tues., 5/7, 10:05-10:20: All Leadership Ambassador Meeting
- Tues., 5/7, lunchtime: Leadership Ambassador Action Team Meetings (Beautification & Kindness)
- Tues., 5/7, 2:45 pm-3:45 pm: Math Tutoring for invited 2nd graders
- Tues., 5/7, 5-6 pm: PTC General Meeting & Elections for 2019-20 Board; child care provided
- Wed., 5/8, lunchtime: Leadership Ambassador Action Team Meeting (Cares)
- Wed., 5/8, 2:45-3:45 pm: Math Tutoring for invited 1st, 4th and 5th graders
- Wed., 5/8, 2:4-3:10 pm, Mrs. Ochoa's Room: Leadership Ambassador Action Team Meeting (Pride)
- Thurs., 5/9, 2:45-3:45 pm: Math Tutoring for invited 3rd, 4th and 5th graders
- Fri., 5/10: Colt Pride Day
Looking to the end of the year:
- Week of 5/20: Spring Book Fair
- Tue., 5/21, 7:30-8:30 am: Volunteer Thank You Breakfast (click for invitation)
- Thurs., 5/23: LCES Open House
- Mon., 5/27: No School - Memorial Day
- Week of 5/28: 5th grade Fort Bragg Trip
- Week of 6/3: Early Release Schedule all week - 1:40 pm release time
- Mon., 6/3: Tri 3 awards for grades 1, 2 and 3
- Wed., 6/5: Tri 3 awards for grade 4
- Wed., 6/5, 4:30 pm: LCES 9th Annual Talent Show & Annual PTC Free BBQ
- Thurs., 6/6: 5th grade Breakfast & Awards (your teacher will send out more info!)
- Fri., 6/7: Kinder End of Year Celebration & Awards
- Fri., 6/7: Last Day of School!
*all Leadership, Musical Theater, and Choir program details are on Mrs. Adam's website or click the link below.
Upcoming Non School Days & Early Release Days - Winter/Spring 2019
- Monday, 5/27: Memorial Day
- Week of June 3rd-June 7th: Early Release Days (1:40 Release)
- Saturday, 6/8 - Wednesday, 8/14: Summer Break (School Starts on Thursday, 8/15)
Visit our website for the most updated schedules for our Leadership Ambassador Program, including the greeter schedule!
Click for more information about school meal pricing and breakfast and lunch menus. You can also access My School Bucks to add to your child's lunch balance and submit an online application for free/reduced meals.
Click to view a map that identifies appropriate drop off/pick up areas and parking areas. It is much less congested between between 7:50-8:00 am and again between 2:50-3 pm. Supervision is provided at 7:55 am and until 3 pm (2 on ER days).
The district has approved and published 2 years of school calendars! Click for details!