Hey band....YOU ROCK!
Music in the Parks 2016
What an amazing day! I could not be more proud of what we accomplished together....all of us....parents and students. You sounded amazing and achieved a lot this year. It has been a pleasure to work with all of you and watch you grow musically. This is a family....we work hard, have fun and it is never difficult to wake up early on Wednesdays and Fridays.
There will be no lessons or rehearsals this week. Get ready for auditions during the week of May 23rd.....schedules coming soon.
We also have some work to do......baseball! We will have 2 rehearsals to prepare for this event. Wed, May 18 and Fri., May 20 at 7:30am. I will pass out tickets at that time....start memorizing now!
BOOMERS baseball game - Sat., May 21 - 6pm - arrive by 5:00pm - wear tie dye shirts
- memorize your music
- rehearsals yet to be determined
You are welcome to check out my website (link below). Thanks for an awesome year! Give it everything you've got and DO YOUR PART! EMERSON BANDS ROCK!
District 64 Music is tops!
Emerson Symphonic Band, Concert Orchestra and combined choirs from Lincoln and Emerson with 3 superior ratings!
What a day!
Emerson band and orchestra students celebrating the rating!
Mr. Bachmann and Ms. Charous
GO EMERSON! What a great end to a magnificent year!
2016-17 Audition Info
Emerson Middle School
BAND AUDITIONS 2016-17
Three bands are offered at Emerson: Cadet Band, Concert Band, and Symphonic Band. The three groups are ability based and will rehearse before school (7:10-8:00am) one or two days per week . All students will play a short audition sometime during the week of May 23-26, 2016 at their school to determine band placement.
Please be prepared to play ONE of the following levels:
Level 1 - Essential Elements Book 1
Everyone Must Play…
- p. 40-41, All four major scales (ALL #1’s and #3’s)
- p. 33, #174 “Half-Steppin’”
- p. 42-43 Rhythms measures #41-56
- p. 22 #117 “Essential Elements Quiz - Auld Lang Syne”
(percussionists play on mallets)
- p. 35, #179 “American Patrol”
(percussionists play on snare drum)
- Percussionists also need to learn the attached timpani etude (see Mr. Bachmann) and know the following rudiments: long roll, 5 and 9 stroke rolls, flam, flam accent, flam tap, flamacue, paradiddle.
If you can play everything in Level 1, please prepare Level 2. If you are ready for Level 2 and do not have “Essential Elements Book 2,” you need to purchase it as soon as possible from Quinlan and Fabish (630) 654-4111 or (847) 253-5592.
Level 2 - Essential Elements Book 2
Everyone Must Play…
- p. 34-36 #159/160, #163/164, #167/168, #171/172, #175/176
(Major scales, play 2 octaves when possible)
- Chromatic scale, p. 37, #185 or #186 (student chooses)
- p. 43, Rhythms - measures #21-28
Each instrument must also prepare the following exercise at quarter note = 90
Flute - p. 38, #191 / Oboe - p. 39, #193 / Clarinet - p. 39, #197
Bass Clarinet - p. 38, #190 / ALL Saxophone - p. 39, #193 / Trumpet - p. 39, #195
Horn - p. 39, #192 / Trombone - p. 39, #200 /Baritone - p. 39, #196
Tuba - p. 39, #193
Percussion - See Mr. Bachmann for etudes for Snare, Mallets, and Timpani. Percussionists also need to know the following rudiments: ALL rolls and ALL level 1 rudiments PLUS drag, single, double and triple ratamacue.
If you are ready for Level 3 and do not have “Tradition of Excellence Book 3” and “Tradition of Excellence: Technique and Musicianship” you need to purchase them as soon as possible from Quinlan and Fabish (630) 654-4111 or (847) 253-5592.
Level 3 – Tradition of Excellence Book 3/Technique and Musicianship
Everyone Must Play…
- p. 37-42 (Book 3) Major Scales: F, C, G, Gb, Db, Ab, Eb (All woodwind players MUST play 2 or 3 octaves when possible)
- Minor scales: f, c, g, and d (also in Book 3 - all woodwind players MUST play 2 or 3 octaves when possible)
- Chromatic Scale: Full range or as much as you can play.
- p. 43-46, Book 3, Rhythms: #11-15, 33-36, 49-54, 77-80.
Each instrument must also prepare the ILMEA (honor band) etude (see Mr. Bachmann) at the best (steadiest) tempo possible….use a metronome to practice!
- Percussionists also need to know the following rudiments: ALL Level 2 rudiments PLUS lesson #25, drag paradiddle, flam paradiddle.
You may wish to consider taking private lessons to improve your musical skills during the summer months. A list of recommended private teachers can be shared with you by request.
Good luck on the audition! Remember to relax and play your best stuff ---------
Level 1, 2, or 3.
Thanks for an awesome year and we look forward to working with you in the fall! Best wishes for a safe and relaxing summer!
Mr. Dale and Mr. Bachmann
PRACTICE ONLY ON THE DAYS YOU EAT!
ONE DAY YOUR SIGNATURE WILL BE CALLED AN AUTOGRAPH!