4th Grade Happenings - Week 4
Reagan Elementary - Leander Independent School District
Week of September 15 - 19, 2014
Welcome to the 4th Grade!
We're off to a great start - thanks for your support!
Karen & Stephanie
WHAT ARE WE LEARNING THIS WEEK?
- continue elements of poetry - free verse, rhyming verse, stanza, etc.
- continue similes/metaphors
- continue beginning of year individual reading assessments
- Sitton List 3 - Spell Check on Friday 9/19 in class
- Phonics Focus: long /e/ sound spelling patterns (e, ea, ee, and y)
- Phonics Focus: when h follows c, s, t, w, or p, the combination stands for a new sound
- models of division
- Texas geography, salt dough maps
Science: Properties Matter
- magnetic properties investigation
- Vocab Quiz #1 on Friday (see below for more information)
- continue The Writing Process: Step 1 - Brainstorming (digging up buried stories)
- worksheet handed out on Monday 9/15 and due next Monday 9/22
- Online Reading Log & Questions - read 80 min / week (an average of 20 min/night for 4 nights) and answer this week's comprehension questions. Reading log & questions need to be completed only ONCE per week with total minutes for the week. It can be found on-line on your reading teacher's website under "Homework". Please complete NO LATER than Sunday evening at 5:00 p.m. in order to get full credit. If your child is unable to access the homework online, please have them request a hard copy by signing up in the classroom no later than Wednesday to allow for printing. A soft copy of the reading log can be found on the Our Town website under "Reading Homework" for those students who prefer to track their minutes using a paper log; students will also be given a laminated card stock log to keep in their travel binders behind the "Current Homework" tab and reuse throughout the year.
- Properties of Matter Vocab Quiz #1 on Friday, September 19 - students made a study tool in class last week and will be given class time each day to study. Words are also linked below, and can be found on the Our Town website under "Science Homework".
- Study Sitton List 3, given in class on Monday 9/15 and checked in class on Friday 9/19. List can also be found in your child's travel binder behind "spelling" tab, by clicking the link directly below, or a soft copy is available on the Our Town website under "Spelling Homework".
- Spelling Worksheet handed out in class on Monday 9/15 and due Monday 9/22 - antonym crossword puzzle using letter combinations ch, ph, sh, th, and wh. A soft copy of the worksheet can also be found on website under "Spelling Homework".
Our Current Week
Monday 9/15 -
- yellow specials day
- math worksheets due to math teacher
- spelling worksheet due to reading teacher
- green specials day
- lunch choice for students buying lunch on Wednesday due to homeroom teacher
Wednesday 9/17 -
- EARLY RELEASE DAY - dismissal at 12:00
- no specials due to early release
- blue specials day (library for LaCombe's homeroom)
Friday 9/19 -
- purple specials day (library for Beasley's homeroom)
- National Talk Like a Pirate Day - come with your best "Ahoy, matey!" and pirate "Arrrrrrr!!!"
- Spell Check over Sitton List 3
- Science Vocab Quiz #1 - students made flip book study guide last week over the following words - classify, compare, contrast, mass, measure, states of matter, solid, liquid, gas, substance, volume. Definitions are linked above and on the Our Town website under Science Homework.
For which specials (PE, Performing Arts, Visual Art, Library) your child goes to on what day, please see the Our Town website under "Specials Schedule".
On the Horizon - Upcoming Dates
MARK YOUR CALENDARS!
New items from the previous week's newsletter are in italics below.
Wednesday 9/24 - Progress reports sent home (ONLY students who have averages of 70% or below will be receiving a progress report)
Thursday 9/25 - Destination Imagination applications due to Eileen Delisi, Campus QUEST teacher - see below for more info
Tuesday 9/30 - Fall Picture Day
Wednesday 10/15 - Early Release Day - 12:00 Noon
Friday 10/24 - End of First Nine Weeks
Monday 10/27 - Staff Development Day, NO SCHOOL for students
Thursday 11/13 - 4th Grade Veterans' Day Play - daytime performances for grade levels, parent/family performance at 6:00 pm.
Monday - Friday 11/24 - 11/28 - Thanksgiving Break, NO SCHOOL
Monday - Friday 12/22 - 1/2 - Winter Break, NO SCHOOL
Friday 1/16 - End of Second Nine Weeks
Need a little reminder from time to time?
Help us help you by subscribing to "Remind" - a service that strives to help students succeed by keeping the lines of communication open between teachers, parents, and students.
Please subscribe to Mrs. Beasley's Remind messages by texting @beasleyla to (636)875.7691.
Please subscribe to Mrs. LaCombe's Remind messages by texting @lacombe to (281)519-7510.
It would be most beneficial for you to subscribe to BOTH teachers' accounts, since we share time with your children, and not just your child's homeroom teacher's Remind messages.
The Explanatory Fine Print:
Texts will be limited in frequency and serve as important reminders of upcoming events/deadlines or last minute schedule changes due to inclement weather or other unforseen events; primary and detailed info communication will continue to come via weekly 4th Grade Happenings updates. While the "Remind" service is free, standard data-messaging fees may apply as determined by your mobile service carrier. You may unsubscribe at any time by replying STOP to text feed. Service is courtesy of Remind.
Stephanie Beasley - @stephbville
Karen LaCombe - @lacombesclass
Our Town - @our4thgradetown
Karen & Stephanie