The Trojan Times
St. Maria Goretti Catholic School May 5, 2019
Dear SMG Families and Friends,
I hope you all have had a wonderful weekend and were able to get outside and enjoy this fabulous weather!
The month of May is sure to be especially busy and in just a few short weeks, we will be out for summer break! Though we try to send email reminders, text alerts, and social media posts to remind our SMG families of various events, your best source of information is the Trojan Times. I know it may be especially long today and over the next few weeks, but please take a few minutes to read through it so you don't miss any of the wonderful events we have planned this month.
A few things coming up this week:
- Follett Book Fair begins tomorrow and runs through Friday in the SMG library. Please see times in the ad below.
- Final Home & School Meeting of the 2018-2019 school year is tomorrow (Monday) night at 7PM in the cafetorium. Please try to attend, if possible. Also, please consider nominating yourself or another parent who may be interested for a position on the H & S Board. Information and a nomination form was emailed to all families, or feel free to call the front office to learn more.
- Kountry Karnival 2019--Information about Kountry Karnival 2019 will be presented at the H & S meeting tomorrow night. Some exciting ideas for KK 2019 will be presented, as well as ways you can get involved in this SMG tradition!
- Muffins with Mom event (like the Donuts with Dad event we held during the fall book fair). We look forward to welcoming all moms, grandmothers, aunts, or "Mom-like" ladies Tuesday morning beginning at 7:15AM in the library for muffins, coffee, and shopping.
- Grandparents Day, Friday, May 10th, beginning with Mass at 8:00AM, followed by a band performance in the Family Life Center Gym, breakfast and a performance by our 1st Grade students in the cafetorium, and browsing/shopping the book fair in the library. We hope to see many grandparents there! Please Note: Grandparents will be required to show their ID and receive a visitor's badge. Please let any grandparent you know who may be attending to be sure to bring their ID. Grandparents (and others attending) should go directly to the church if attending Mass. Check-in will be in the gym following Mass. Those grandparents who are not planning to join us for Mass or who are coming after Mass, may check in at the front office beginning at 9:00AM and will be directed to the gym after they receive their visitor's badge.
- SMG Robotics Club Sign-Up: The DFW league has changed the registration time from August to May. Therefore, we need to register our team as soon as possible. Please see the information below if your student(s) is interested in joining the 2019-2020 SMG Robotics Club.
- Sports Banquet Friday night. Please see ticket information below.
- May Crowning Flowers for sale. May Crowning ceremony is Tuesday, May 14th at 10AM in the church.
- Field Day T-Shirt Order Form
- Volunteer Hours Needed? Visit the SignUp Genius on the school website for various opportunites.
- Baby Supply Donation Drive
Thank you to all who supported our 8th Grade students who hosted an Enchilada Dinner after each Mass today. Proceeds from the dinner will be used towards the 8th Grade Legacy Gift that they will leave to the school. This year's class hopes to raise enough money for an outdoor electronic scoreboard for the baseball/softball field. A special thank you to Mrs. Zavala and her family for supplying the delicious enchiladas with all the sides from their restuarant Danielitas, as well as the Venegas family's Marquez Bakery for supplying the fabulous baked goods.
Enjoy your evening and I look forward to seeing many of you at the various events throughout the coming weeks.
St. Maria Goretti, Pray for Us!
Laura Behee, M.Ed.
Regular 2019-2020 Registration is Open
Schedule Update: Tuesday, May 28th is a Full Day
Previous schedules showed Tuesday, May 28th as an Early Dismissal day, however, school will be a regular 7:50AM to 3:10PM day. Wednesday, May 29th and Thursday, May 30th are both early dismissal days, with Thursday being our last day of school. Thank you for your understanding!
May Virtue: Zeal
Zeal is the virtue of the month for May. Zeal is being driven by an intense love for God and loving God so much that it gives you energy. When we have this kind of energy for God, we are zealous. The writer of Psalm 69 said of God, “Zeal for Your house consumes me.” Let us all be zealous for God and His truth so that we can share His love with others.
There are many saints who exemplified the virtue of zeal. Three who we are going to be learning about this month are:
· St. Paul: Feast Day – January 25 and June 29 – Before he came to believe in Jesus Christ, Saint Paul was so angry at those who followed Jesus that he had them put in jail. After Jesus appeared to Saint Paul in a special way, Saint Paul was so filled with love for Christ that he travelled everywhere he could to spread the good news of the Gospel.
· Saint Dominic de Guzman: Feast Day – August 8 – Saint Dominic was so energetic about spreading the faith that he is sometimes called the “athlete of Christ”. Saint Dominic wanted to make sure everyone knew the truth about God and His good news of salvation. Saint Dominic and his Dominican brothers travelled to many places in Europe on foot, spending their days and nights teaching and preaching about God to the people, some of whom were spreading confusion and error about God and His Church.
At one point these people tried to kill Saint Dominic, but his only response was to rejoice that God found him worthy to suffer for the truth in imitation of Jesus. Because of Saint Dominic’s zeal, his brothers and sisters continue to teach about God throughout the world.
· Saint Francis Xavier: Feast Day – December 3 – “The thought of thanking God for His goodness would certainly stir most university students to meditate on spiritual realities, to listen actively to what God is saying to them. They would forget their own desires, their human affairs, and give themselves over entirely to God’s will and his choice. They would cry out with all their heart: ‘Lord, I am here! What do you want me to do?’ Send me anywhere you like – even to India?” These words of Saint Francis Xavier sum up his whole life as one of the greatest missionaries the Church has ever known, a man on fire with the love of God.
Raised in a wealthy family from the Basque region of Spain, Francis met Saint Ignatius of Loyola at the University of Paris. The founder of the Jesuit Order found a ready recruit in the energetic young nobleman. One of the first missionary priests in his community, the life of Saint Francis Xavier reads like an action-adventure story. Sent to the shores of India and the Far East, he dined with head hunters, bathed the sores of lepers, and taught the faith to Indian children, baptizing 10,000 in a single month. He endured extreme weather conditions on long, primitive sea voyages, much like Saint Paul. During less than 20 years a priest, he traveled thousands of miles, most of it on his bare feet. God granted him the gift of tongues (speaking in the multitude of languages of those whom he served) as well as the ability to raise people from the dead, calm storms, prophesy, and heal. Completely spent in body form his labors in the service of God, Saint Francis Xavier died on the shores of China at the age of 46.
For more information on the Virtues in Practice Program, visit:
Final Home & School Meeting of 2018-2019 School Year!
SMG Robotics Club Sign-Up for 2019-2020 School Year!
The SMG Robotics Club is now accepting new/returning members for the 2019-2020 First Lego League Season. Please contact Claudia Morales at 817-480-1538 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Teams will be registered in May and we need to get an estimated head count of students and parents who are willing to help us coach.
Robotics Club is open to students in 6th-8th Grade. 4th and 5th Grade students may be considered on a case by case basis.
Time Commitment: Once a week from 6:00-8:00PM from August-December and once a month for 4 hours on Saturdays. Season may extend to January or February 2020 depending on the team’s performance.
SMG Book Fair: May 6-10th
Pre-K Music Class "Informance" - May 8th
Our SMG Preschool students have been busy this school year singing, chanting, playing instruments, and dancing in the music classroom! We would like to invite Pre-K parents to a special informance after drop off on Wednesday, May 8, 2019, from 7:55 – 8:30 a.m.
An informance is a chance for parents to observe their students participate and perform their favorite classroom routines, songs, and activities. Informances are a wonderful opportunity for preschoolers to shine in a low-stress, familiar environment.
Please make plans to join us in the Music Room after drop off next Wednesday. Your student will join us at 7:55 a.m. after morning prayers.
Please contact me at email@example.com with any questions.
Grandparents Day 2019!
May 10th Sports Banquet - Order Deadline May 8th!
May Crowning Flower Fundraiser - Order Deadline May 10th
Save a trip to the grocery store! Order your May Crowning flowers by May 10th. SMG Cheerleaders will deliver flowers to homerooms the morning of May Crowning, Tuesday, May 14th.
Field Day Shirt - Order Deadline May 8th
Earn Spirit Hours - Volunteer Opportunities Available on Sign Up Genius
- May 6-10: Spring Book Fair
- May 7: Muffins with Mom
- May 8: Classroom Assistance for Teacher Luncheon
- May 10 Grandparents Day - Donations and Volunteers
- May 10: Sports Banquet - Set up and clean up
- May 11: First Communion - 2nd Grade
Visit the SMG Sign Up Genius website to sign up:
Baby Supply Donation Drive
Mrs. Girton's Poetry Cafe
First grade students practiced a poem all week which they read aloud on Friday at Mrs. Girton's Poetry Cafe. Notice the ambiance of candle light, the karaoke mike, and the spot light on the performer. Mrs. Girton recreated the famous beatnik poetry cafe of the 60's. Students even expressed their appreciation with snapping fingers instead of claps. The students thoroughly enjoyed National Poetry Month. Did you know that reading poetry:
- builds reading, speaking, and listening skills
- explores language and vocabulary
- inspires writing
- encourages creative thinking
- builds a love for reading
Box Tops for Education
Last Teacher Outing of the Year - 8th Sand Volleyball
If you are interested in purchasing the May 6th Sand Volleyball at Texas Image Sand outing for your 8th grade student, please contact Mrs. Malloy in the school office firstname.lastname@example.org. The cost is $25.
JOIN US FOR VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL AT SMG
VBS Adult Volunteers Needed - Contact Mandi Meurer: email@example.com
Easter Puppet Show
Fifth grade music students performed a musical puppet show "The Little Donkey's Easter Journey" for their younger schoolmates. We are so proud of their handmade puppets, singing and performance!
Tiny Trojan Cheer Camp
SMG cheerleaders taught their younger partners a cheer and dance during a Saturday workshop. They'll perform the routine at our year end pep rally on May 17th. Thanks to Mrs. Paladini and Ms. Meurer for sponsoring this fun day.
Junior High "Last Dance" of the 2018-2019 School Year
The 6th-8th Grade students enjoyed the last Junior High Dance of the 2018-2019 school year last Friday night. Thank you to all who volunteered and donated to help make the dance a hit, especially to Mr. Gonzalez for being our DJ Extraodinaire this year!!
All SMG Alumni, we want to hear from you and share any news you have with the rest of the Trojan Community! Please send us your address, phone number, and email address so that we may keep in touch. As well, if you have news and information that you would like to share with the SMG Community, we would like that as well! Please send your information to Abbey Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once a Trojan--Always a Trojan!
Catholic Diocese of Fort Worth
Monday, May 6
- Follett Book Fair Begins (May 6-10)
- 3:30-4:30PM Good Works Club
- 6:00-8:00PM 6th Grade Class Outing: Sand Volleyball at Texas Image Sand
- 7:00PM Home & School Meeting
- Muffins With Mom @ 7:15AM in SMG Library
- NO MASS - moved to May 10th
- Deadline for Field Day Shirt Order
- Deadline for Sports Banquet Ticket Order
- 7:55-8:30AM Pre-K Music Class Informance
- 3:30-4:00PM Running Club (weather permitting)
- Deadline for May Crowning Flower Order
- 8:00AM Mass
- 8:00-11:00AM Grandparents Day (band performance, 1st grad mini musical, breakfast)
- 6:00-9:30PM Sports Banquet
Saturday, May 11
- 11:00AM 2nd Grade First Communion Mass
- 1st & 2nd grade field trip - Ft. Worth Science Museum
Tuesday, May 14
- 10:00AM May Crowning
Wednesday, May 15
- Walk for Life - All grades - time determined by individual teacher
- 2:00PM Last Pep Rally - Performance by Tiny Trojans
- 3:00-4:00PM Cheerleader Uniform Fitting -HFLC meeting rooms
- 3:30-4:30PM Good Works Club
- Finals Begin Grades 6-8 (May 20-22)
- Finals: Grades 6-8
Thursday, May 23
- 8:00AM 8th Grade Breakfast
- 10:00AM 8th Grade Candle Passing/Robing
- 6:00-9:00PM Mass & 8th Grade Promotion
- No School - Memorial Day
Tuesday, May 28
- Regular School Day (Dismissal at 3:10PM)
- 1:30PM Kindergarten Promotion (REVISED TIME)
- 8:00AM Mass
- 9:00AM Awards Ceremony Grades 1-7
- Noon Dismissal - SMEED until 3:00PM
- Last Day of School
- 8:00-11:30AM Field Day
- Noon Dismissal - NO SMEED