by Diana Pineda
Steps of the cycle
- Nitrogen Fixation - the chemical processes by which atmospheric nitrogen is assimilated into organic compounds, especially by certain microorganisms as part of the nitrogen cycle.
- Nitrogen Assimilation - the formation of organic nitrogen compounds like amino acids from inorganic nitrogen compounds present in the environment.
- Ammonification - decomosition with production of ammonia or ammonium compounds especially by the action of bacteria on nitrogenous organic matter.
- Nitrification - the biological oxidation of ammonia or ammonium to nitrite followed by the oxidation of the nitrite to nitrate.
- Denitrification - reduction of nitrates or nitrites commonly by bacteria (as in soil) that usually results in the escape of nitrogen into the air.