Bay Creek Beat
March 15, 2016
Last week the counselors began administering the Career Cruising inventory to all Bay Creek students. The Career Cruising inventory helps students build self-awareness about what careers they are best matched with based on their strengths and interests. Career Cruising engages students to learn about themselves, explore their career options, create a plan, and bring that plan to life. Ask your child to show their career inventory profile this week through the Career Cruising web site. If you have questions about this please contact your child’s grade level counselor.
This week all academic teachers started to administer their mid-term assessments. The dates are listed below for all interim testing. Interim assessments will count as 2% of your child’s 2nd semester grade. It is very important that students are present on the day of their test so they do not have to be pulled from class at a later date to make up the interim assessment. Also, please note that the math and language arts test have two parts, a multiple choice section and an open ended section. This is why you’ll see math and language arts interim testing on more than one day.
- March 15: 6th Grade SC
- March 16: 7th Grade SC
- March 17: 8th Grade Math (All levels)
- March 18: 7th Grade SS
- March 21: 7th Grade Math (All levels); 6th grade LA and
7th grade LA (Vaughan, Donnelly, Garner and Bradley)
- March 22: 7th Grade Math and 6th Grade LA
- March 23: 6th Grade SS and 7th grade LA (Boles and Lewis)
- March 24: 6th Grade Math and 8th Grade LA
- March 25: 6th Grade MA; 8th grade SS; 8th Grade LA and 8th Grade SC
Dates for your Calendar
1. School Dance Updated Dates:
a. 6th Grade: March 18, 2016
b. 8th Grade: May 13, 2016
2. Mini-Relay: March 31st during connections—tickets will be on sale soon!
3. Fine Arts Night: Last year we held our first Fine Arts Night, and we have the date for this year’s Fine Arts Night set for April 14, 2016 at 6:30pm. Student art work will be on display in a gallery set up and we will have several performances from our band, chorus, orchestra, and guitar programs. This event is sure to be another great community event! Mark your calendars and plan to come and enjoy our world-class arts programs.
Ms. Beryl Wagner, Assistant Principal
- The deadline for on-line ticket sales to the 6th grade dance has passed. We will be extending one final opportunity to pay in cash in the front lobby on Wednesday, March 16 from 8:15 am to 9:15 am. The payment must include a signed parent permission form. Please bring $8.00 exact change or make checks payable to Bay Creek Middle School. There will be no ticket sales on the day of the dance.
CLICK HERE FOR THE PERMISSION SLIP
Ms. Debbie Trevino, Assistant Principal
- The Rock Eagle field trip is right around the corner. A parent information meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, March 16th at 6:00 pm in the Bay Creek Cafeteria.
Ms. Heather Young, Assistant Principal
- All high school registration forms were turned in last week.
- 8th Grade Day is May 19 and tickets are on sale now through MPP.
- 8th Grade Awards is May 20 at 2:30 pm in the BCMS Gym – All parents are invited to attend!
Ms. Heather Young, Assistant Principal
Band and Chorus are up for their Large Group Performance Evaluations this week. The 7A Band students performed yesterday and received excellent and superior scores. Today 7B Band will perform and the 8th grade band will perform on Wednesday. Chorus LGPE is Thursday and Friday. Wish our amazing music students best of luck!
Ms. Kelly Paurowski, 6th Grade; Ms. Rebecca Lisska, 7th Grade; Ms. Felecia Sheard, 8th Grade
During the months of March and April, the counselors will be helping students in grades 6, 7, and 8 explore their interests and relate those interests to career choices with the Career Cruising program. Career Cruising is an Internet-based career exploration and planning tool used to explore career and college options and develop a career plan. Career Cruising can be accessed from school, from home, or wherever your son or daughter has access to the Internet. Features of the program include:
- Interest and Skills Assessment - a world-renowned career assessment tool to help people identify suitable career options based on their interests and skills
- Career Profiles - thorough and up-to-date information about hundreds of different occupations, including direct links between careers and related college programs
- Multimedia Interviews - interviews with real people in each occupation, which add depth and realism to career profiles
- Electronic Career Portfolio - available online, so students can develop their education and career plans from wherever they access Career Cruising
Ask your child about his or her career assessment and career exploration!
Ms. Donna Ahlrich, Media Specialist
There are so many great series and sections in our non-fiction collection, that along with the two monthly displays as you enter the Media Center, we are now going to do displays on tops of the shelves. To begin we have put out our books on Architecture and structures, great from STEAM and enrichment. Upcoming are art, careers, and many more.
And for our regular two displays on the right and left when you enter the Media Center. In early March we had a Dr. Seuss, with some thoughtful sayings. And on the left, our "I-rish I was lucky with a book" display, where the kids got to have a blind date with a book - that has been a huge hit. Now mid-March, we're changing to "do you play with your food" on the left, check out the pictures of food as art. And about to be displayed on the right, Banned Books, with the tag line of "you can't check this out", you will be surprised at what titles have been challenged, and banned.
Come by the Media Center and see what we have to offer.
Bay Creek Communication Tools
If you are looking for ways to locate updates and upcoming events at Bay Creek, there are several different ways we communicate with parents. Please refer to the list below. As the district has moved to the eCLASS platform, teachers no longer have individual webpages. Parental access to eClass is not yet available; therefore we encourage parents to log into their child’s eCLASS page and review homework and upcoming classroom assignments.
a. The Bay Creek Beat – a weekly newsletter sent out via email, you can sign up to receive the Bay Creek Beat on our school webpage.
b. The Bay Creek Webpage: www.baycreekrams.com/home.html
c. Like our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/bcmsrams
d. Download the Connect 2 Grayson App for your iPhone or Android device.
Dr. Maggie Fehrman
Bay Creek Middle School