April 1, 2021
Successful Plan B for Blackhawk Brigade
Congratulations to Mr. Aylsworth, his staff, and his band students for their recent successes in competition. As you may already know, the Blackhawk Brigade has a long tradition of excellence. As with other extra and co-curricular programs at Springs Valley, the Brigade represents the school and the community with class. Our band is a perennial contender for the ISSMA Marching Band State Championship. In fact, the Brigade is a four-time state champion, with first place finishes in 1977, 2010, 2016, and 2017, along with numerous top ten finishes and other outstanding achievements. Each fall typically provides our students with the opportunity to demonstrate months of hard work and practice by participating in a season of marching band contests. However, last fall was different. Due to COVID-19, the marching band season was cancelled, forcing the Brigade to adjust and find other ways to perform. In other words, they had to come up with Plan B. Thus, three different ensembles were formed: Springs Valley Winter Guard, The Springs Valley Winter Winds, and The Springs Valley Percussion Ensemble. The groups recently competed those seasons, with each ensemble qualifying for state finals. The Springs Valley Winter Winds were the 2021 Indiana Percussion Association Scholastic A Class State Champions ! What an incredible accomplishment by all of those students! I often focus on the phrase “Reaching Higher", which to paraphrase, means “Don’t settle for the status quo - strive for new and better accomplishments.” Reaching Higher through long, challenging practices and consistent emphasis on quality work definitely paid off for these students. Thanks also goes to Athletic Director Kelly Schmitt for arranging practice times and space for these students!
SV Gym in ESPN Feature Story
Recently, Springs Valley Community Schools received national, and perhaps even world, recognition in an ESPN feature story covering historic Indiana basketball venues. Our gym was one of ten high school and college venues highlighted. Springs Valley has a rich basketball history. One only need look at the pictures lining the gym walls to appreciate the SV tradition. It is exciting that a bit of that history can be shared in such a big way! Thank you to all former and current players, coaches, cheerleaders, and trainers for helping build this tradition of excellence at SV.
* School will be in session normally on Friday, April 2. This is a makeup day.
* We will have another Kindergarten Roundup event on Tuesday, April 6. If you missed the first round, contact the elementary office at 812-936-4820 to schedule a time.
* MORP will be held on April 16.
* We will offer Driver Education this summer. This will be the driving portion only. The fee for driving is $300. Prior to driving, students will complete classroom training at www.driveredtogo.com at a cost of $70. The site is Indiana BMV approved.
* Reminder that our monthly board meetings are streamed live on our Springs Valley Media YouTube page: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP4LYRNW9L125xomVq1V_xw/featured
* While the pandemic is ongoing we will post weekly COVID-19 statistics to the school website. Click on the COVID-19 Info tab on the main page. I also have the current statistics below.
CURRENT COVID-19 INFORMATION
As of Wednesday, March 31, 2021:
1 positive student (had not been at school for awhile due to spring break)
0 positive teachers
0 positive staff
2 quarantined students
0 quarantined staff
0 positive students
0 positive teachers
0 positive staff
6 quarantined students
1 quarantined staff
We have 0 positives due to school contact at this time.
We have 0 quarantined due to school contact at this time.