CGS Weekly Message
We hope that everyone enjoyed their Academic Break and are ready to get back to work to close out Quarter 3 which is right around the corner! March 15th begins Quarter 4 for this school year. Be on the lookout soon for deadlines to turn in student work submissions for Quarter 3.
CGS Admin will be honoring and recognizing our All A Honor Roll Recipients from Quarters 1 and 2 on Friday, 3/3. Look for pictures of the special event posted on Facebook and on our website. This event is specifically designed for our students in Grades K-8 to reward them for their accomplishments so far this school year. HS students will be recognized at a later date due to being off campus on a field trip. (Due to limited seating in the cafe, we will only be opening this to our students and will celebrate with our parents/families at the end of the year at Awards day for those students that make the all A and all A-B honor roll all school year.)
- Curriculum Night is Tuesday, 2/28 from 5-7. Please see the details on the flyer below.
- Winter Awards Night for Winter Sports- Wednesday, 3/1 from 6-7.
- Our 2023-2024 Lottery ENDS on Friday, 3/3! The lottery will run on Monday, 3/6 @ 2 PM
Don't forget to check out our website at www.cgsnc.org and our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/cgsgrizzlies for updates!
Please see the testing calendar for the months of March/April below. Please contact our testing coordinator, Ms. Robyn @ firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions or concerns.
Tuesday, March 7th our Junior class will be taking the ACT. Students will need to bring a calculator with them on this day and make sure that their computer device is fully charged.
Parents, please click on the link to read more about the ACT and its importance.
Feedback Form FAQ 22-23
“Feedback Form” Submissions from week of 2/13:
Elementary valentines dance was very unorganized as you noticed. However, buying the tickets meant that kids bought more than they needed or had time for as activities stopped right away. At the ticket purchasing counter maybe have the amount each thing to purchase is? What do we do with these tickets? She has so many left and so much money wasted to stuff she thought she'd get or have time for. I am sending the tickets to school in hopes to get our money back? I don't mind donating but this was not a donation I was aware of. It was meant to purchase things not donate.
- Thank you for your question. I am going to direct you to our Music Instructor, Ms. Lloyd and to our Band Boosters to help with this request. Please reach out to them directly at email@example.com and she can get you in contact with our Band Boosters as I am unsure of their refund policy.
Mine isn't so much a question as a comment. Clover Gardens Mentorship program is amazing and the best kept secret. I really would like to see the program talked about on Clover Garden's site. Not only is it a great opportunity for high school students to learn how to mentor but it is also a great program for students that need that big brother or big sister. My child struggled with fitting in and started acting out thinking that was how to fit in. My child has been in this program for 2 years and the change has been very good. Grades have improved, feels a sense of belonging, just an all around happier child. So thank you to everyone that is involved in this program.
- Thank you so much for sharing this feedback! Mr. Graham runs a fantastic program and our high school student leaders are great role models! We will see if we can get the club added to the website for more information.
High school gets a non-educational field trip to a basketball game, how do we give other grades similar opportunities? Other responses have been that it's up to the teachers. They are obviously not planning anything. Do parents need to push and start planning instead? These kids haven't had field trips in years and deserve to have these experiences.
- Thank you for this question. Our High School field trip to the ACC tournament IS considered an educational field trip opportunity. Listed below are a few of the PE/Health state standards/objectives that our Coaches are reinforcing by taking this educational trip.
PE.9.MS.1.1 Use basic and advanced skills to participate proficiently in at least three of the following activities or compositions: aquatics, team sports, individual sports, dual sports, outdoor pursuits, self-defense, dance, or gymnastics.
PE.9.HF.3.2 Analyze career and occupational opportunities in terms of the required skills, fitness components, and personal interests.
- To answer your other concerns, we have had quite a few field trips already taken this school year and a few more scheduled to take place before May. Parents are more than welcome to "plan field trips" during Academic Breaks, Spring Breaks or over the summer. Some field trips were not approved by admin this year upon submission from the teachers based on grade level student behavior, validity of the trip, distance, time away from school, attendance issues, among other factors. Our teachers are NOT required to plan field trips this school year nor will they be pressured into planning field trips this school year from admin or anyone else. There are many educational opportunities that can take place while at school virtually as many of our teachers have participated in these opportunities this school year. If you have a specific question regarding a specific grade level, please contact me directly for more information.
If you missed something or just need clarity on an event, etc. please fill out the form found here: https://forms.gle/L7oKFaRZUuiuh8JH7 This form will be monitored weekly and answers to frequently asked questions will be provided in the weekly Sunday message.
AMAZING Grizzly Heroes!
Please help us celebrate and SHOUT OUT our Amazing Grizzly Heroes recognized at CGS this week! These students are doing an AMAZING job of modeling our mission, vision, and values at CGS. They go above and beyond at CGS and we are VERY proud of them! Keep up the GREAT work!!
(none recognized this week)
Band Updates: Color Guard Try-outs - Feb 28
Hello! Do you enjoy performing in a competitive environment? Are you interested in the Marching Band but do not play an instrument? If so, Color Guard may be a great thing for you! Color Guard rehearses and performs with the Marching Band at several competitions and events throughout the year! If you are interested, please fill out the following form and we hope to see you at the auditions!
Auditions will take place February 28th immediately after school and will be completed by 5pm. No experience required!
Prom tickets will go on sale beginning Monday, March 6th and will remain on sale through March 17th. Students needing a request form for bringing a guest that is not a CGS student, should see Mrs. Lassiter. These forms are due by March 8th.
Lunch Menu- March
Please see the attached March lunch menu below.
Please see the links below if you are in need of any assistance.
- How to create a myschoolaccount- https://youtu.be/0QZDU5Xm7zU
- How to login and manage students- https://youtu.be/9vS7n4tnZ8s
- How to deposit funds- https://youtu.be/13k29YnYuZw
- How to preorder lunches- https://intercom.help/myschoolaccount_help_center/en/articles/2330998-place-a-pre-order
Please see above for adding funds to your student account. Please make sure your account is no more than $50 in the negative. If your student’s account is more than $50 in the negative he/she will not be allowed to purchase a la carte items and charge them to their account.
Reach out if you have any questions.
Student Council Fundraising Goal
Clover Garden High School “Field OF DREAMS”
“If you build it, they will come!”
Do you have dreams? The CGS Student Council does! We have set a $25,000 fundraising goal to add outdoor athletic facilities to our new high school campus! Funds will allow us to add a concrete playing surface accommodating basketball, volleyball, and tennis, as well as the PE and Fitness classes! Be on the lookout for campus fundraisers coming soon. If you, your family, your business, your friends, etc., are interested in helping make this project a reality, please submit your tax-deductible contribution to the Clover Garden School front office. Checks can be made out to "CGS PTT"- with the memo line stating- Student Council Goals Drive.
The CGS Student Council has already started its efforts and has raised more than $2K! Together we can make this happen! Have faith–we are keeping alive the Grizzly dream that was started in 2001! #letsgo
- Mrs. Hodges, one of our EC Teachers has decided to pursue other job opportunities. Her last day will be March 10th. We will be looking to replace her position this school year. We wish her the best!
Check out our active listings for next school year found on our website. Information is below!
If you know of someone that would be a fantastic fit for our CGS family, please send them to our website to apply at http://cgsnc.org/home/careers/.
CGS Curriculum Night! February 28th, 2023
Curriculum Night is specifically designed for our 5th-11th grade students. Students will have the opportunity to learn about course offerings for next school year, meet teachers who specialize in various content areas and look at options/preferences for his or her schedules for the 23-24 school year.
This is a VERY exciting night for our students, so please make plans to attend! See the flyer below for more information.
For ALL CGS Grizzly Fans - ANYONE wanting game information who is interested in getting the CGS schedules can use the CGS Dragon Fly website by using this web address https://go.dragonflyathletics.com/sites/NCHSAA to view each teams schedule, coaches, rosters, purchase tickets and watch games remotely if schools have the NFHS Network.
MRS. PUMPKIN'S FUNDRAISER PICK UP DATE IS FRIDAY, MARCH 17TH.
Monday, February 27:
7:00 Varsity Baseball at NCLA
Thursday, March 2:
4:00 Middle School Girls Soccer vs. Chatham Charter (Springwood #3)
4:00 Middle School Baseball vs. Chatham Charter (Fairchild #2)
4:00 Varsity Boys Tennis at Chatham Charter4:00 Varsity Girls Soccer vs. Cornerstone Charter (Springwood #4)
4:30 Middle School Softball at Cornerstone Charter (Gibson Park)
6:00 Varsity Baseball at Southern Durham High School
Friday, March 3:
4:15 Varsity Baseball at Bethany Community
- Soccer is played at Springwood Park 1450 Springwood Church Road Burlington, NC
- MS Baseball is played at Fairchild Park 827 S Graham Hopedale Rd, Burlington, NC
No admissions taken for soccer or baseball.
Please contact our Athletic Director, Coach Paschal for any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shout out to our AMAZING PTT Hospitality crew for the lunch provided on our last half day on 2/17. Our Faculty/Staff greatly appreciated it! Thank you!
Our PTT will be working on planning for Teacher Appreciation Week and End of Year events soon! Please reach out to our PTT if interested in helping organize, plan, or participate.
Shout out to everyone that supported our PTT by purchasing Valentine's Candy Grams! Our students and teachers really enjoyed this event!
Please see below progress:
- Continue with framing exterior and interior walls
- Began Tyvek commercial wrap
- Continue framing out for windows on 2nd floor
- Continue with HVAC ductwork on both floors
- Continue plumbing for roof drains and bathroom rough-ins
- Continue foundation drains
- Continue roof insulation and TPO
- Continue with electrical rough in on 1st floor
- Began pouring concrete curb and gutter in the back of the building
- Began installing fire line in the ground
- Began grading out pad for fire pump house
- Duke Energy continues with work along Pagetown Road
CGS is still working with CT Wilson Construction towards a July completion of project date. However, we also know that there are many factors outside of our control including but not limited to: rainy or wet weather, limited material or supplies availability and long lead times, etc.
CGS Admin and our CGS BOD in conjunction with our partners at the Office of Charter Schools are working on back up/contingency plans to continue instruction in the event that our new high school building doesn't have a certificate of occupancy on our first day of school- July 24th, 2023.
We ask for patience and flexibility as growing pains are real and do exist! : ) Our plans in case we have to utilize them will include the least amount of stress and inconvenience to our CGS families as possible.
An detailed update to our families will be sent out towards the middle/end of March with more details regarding school start details for our High School students.
Have a FANTASTIC week Grizzlies!!
As always, thanks for all that you do,
Clover Garden School
*If you need this weekly newsletter translated into a different language, please let our Title 1 Coordinator, Mrs. Simmons know at email@example.com.
*If you have any thoughts, feedback or suggestions for our Title 1 team on ways to improve our practices, please contact Mrs. Simmons at firstname.lastname@example.org.