Blue Valley North's Parent Newsletter - March 26, 2021
In this Newsletter …
A Letter from North Administrators
Mark Your Calendar
Kudos and Celebrations
Summer Courses Enrollment
Senior Class of 2021
Class of 2023 Fundraiser at Panda Express
NHS Book Drive
Mustang Medical Messages
BVEF Night of Lights
Auxiliary Gym Construction Info
Durham Contact Info
Parent Booster Club Spirit Wear Sale
A Letter from North Administrators
What a great week! For the first time in a calendar year we have all of our students together again and it has been wonderful. Thank you to our GREAT Parent Booster Club and our PHENOMENAL Father’s Club for providing decorations, music, football tunnel, and gift cards for welcoming all of our kids back to school. We know that this year has had more than its share of challenges but this week was a great step forward. We also want to celebrate our STATE CHAMPION BASKETBALL TEAM! This was a great accomplishment by an excellent team and coaching staff!
While we love having everyone back, you may have noticed that our parking lot is much more congested. Our suggestion is that students plan to arrive earlier to prevent tardiness with are new start times of ODD Days at 7:40 and EVEN Days at 8:25. Even days will require additional planning as our traffic will be mixed with Valley Park Elementary across the street. We know that things will get back to normal once everyone readjusts back to all in-person learning mode, it will just require more advanced planning. We are working to free up more parking spaces by working with our construction crew and have opened up our Visitor Lot. Remember that students CAN NOT park in the staff lot in the North and East side of campus or they will be ticketed.
As we have stressed throughout the year, it continues to be EXTREMELY important to follow all COVID risk mitigation strategies. If you have a student who experiences any COVID symptoms (especially if you have recently traveled) it is imperative that they stay home and get tested. Remember that the only time students can Zoom into classes will be because of a COVID-related absence. All other absences must be through communication with teachers and Canvas access.
Here’s to a great 4th Quarter and warmer days ahead!
Mark Your Calendar
April 23 - No School/Professional Learning for Teachers
May 23 - Graduation at 4:00 p.m. at the SWIDAC
NEW INFO for the end of the school year:
May 26- ODD Day--Students attend class in Hours 1 & 3, High School Finals in Hours 5 & 7
May 27- EVEN Day--High School Finals in Hours 2, 4 & 6
May 28 - HALF Day--High School Finals in Hours 1 & 3--Last day of School
May 31 - Memorial Day
Upcoming All School Events
All BVN events, activities, sporting events and additional calendar adjustments are found on the EKL calendar: www.easternkansasleague.org
Click here for the revised 2020-21 Blue Valley School District Calendar.
Kudos and Celebrations (new)
Ken Taylor, BVN ELA Teacher, was awarded with his Blue Valley Kansas Teacher of the Year award on March 24th by Dr. Tyson Ostroski, BVN Principal. Mr. Taylor's ELA Team was in attendance (see photos below). In the Spring of 2020, we announced Ken Taylor as the BV Teacher of the Year and we are grateful to finally be able to celebrate him. This year the Region III Kansas Teacher of the Year Announcement and Banquet will be a virtual ceremony on March 28. We’re proud of you Mr. Taylor!
Counseling, Academics & Testing (new)
Click Here For BVN's Counseling Webpage
for information about:
- The BVN senior scholarship list is growing! Our list can be found on Naviance under Colleges->Scholarships and Money->Scholarship List
- 2nd Semester Schedule Change Requests (drop to a Study Hall only)
- April 15 is the deadline to drop a JCCC College Now class with a W, or to request a P/F.
- Visit the Counseling Virtual Calming Room!
- Junior College Planning
- Sophomore Naviance Tasks
- Freshman Naviance Tasks
- COVID Anxiety Support
- AP Test Information and Deadlines
- Virtual College Visits
- Virtual Counselor Appointments
Questions? Contact Theresa Gonzalez @ (913)239-3016 or email@example.com .
Enrollment for Virtual Summer Courses is Open until March 29
Enrollment for Blue Valley summer programs opens March 8 and closes at 4 p.m. on March 29. These programs include virtual courses for credit, as well as a section of Design Fundamentals. The district will continue to employ appropriate COVID-19 mitigation practices for any in-person summer programs for safe learning environments. Additional information about the summer explorations programs can be found online at www.bluevalleyk12.org/summerprograms.
Senior Info for Class of 2021
Save the date for our graduation ceremonies at the District Activity Complex, 13310 Switzer, in Overland Park on Sunday, May 23, at 4 p.m. with a rain date of Tuesday, May 25, at 8 p.m. We will provide more detailed information, including any attendance guidelines, as we near graduation.
Click SENIOR INFO for links to:
- A countdown to graduation! Only 57 more days . . .
- Purchase your Senior Class Photo
- Audition for celebration speeches
- An info video from Balfour about how to order your cap & gown--less than 40 seniors still need to do this! Contact Mrs. Miller in Student Services if you have questions.
- Authorize the release of your student's transcript when he or she applies to colleges
- and more . . .
Questions? Contact BVN Activities: Lisa Miller @ firstname.lastname@example.org .
Course Fee Payment is Open
The student elective fees have been posted on the student accounts; check ParentVue for the electives' charges. Payments were due on 2/12/2021 so please make sure this is paid. Your ParentVUE login and password are required to pay course fees. Here is a link to ParentVue: online now.
Questions regarding fee payment should be directed to our BVN Bookkeeper, Linda Kaphingst, email: email@example.com .
Report Student Absences via ParentVue
Did you know you can report your student's absence in ParentVue? This is an easy, efficient way! Once you sign into ParentVue, you will see your student's name and a blue button titled "Report Absence." It takes you to a screen where you can select the start date and end date and the reason code. There is also a box titled "Note" for additional information. Don't forget to hit the "Save" button. If you have questions, please call Rita Mouber, BVN Attendance Manager, 913-239-3001.
You can still call Rita Mouber, 913-239-3001, to report an absence. If no one answers, she's talking to another parent so please leave a message. Rest assured, Rita will get your student's absence recorded.
Panda Express Fundraiser for the Class of 2023 on March 26
- Friday, March 26th from 10:30 AM to 9:30 PM
- Panda Express located at DEER CREEK SHOPPES
- 7352 West 135th St. Overland Park, KS 66224
- Store Phone Number: 913-814-9686
- If you are paying in-store, please show the bottom half of the flyer above or (click here) to get the flyer on your phone to show the cashier.
- If you are ordering online, please enter the Promo Code 323049 in the Promo/Coupon Code box during checkout at order.pandaexpress.com or in the Panda Express App.
- DO NOT use third-party apps like Grubhub/Doordash while checking out.
- Orders must be placed on Event Day so that 20% of the proceeds go towards the Class of 2023.
National Honor Society Book Drive (new)
Student Announcements (new)
Mustang Mentors Applications Being Accepted (new)
Any sophomore or junior interested in being a mentor for 9th grade advisory for the 2021-22 school year should pick up an application in Room 338 or the library before or after school or during North Time. Applications are due by Friday, April 16, 2021, 3:00 p.m. to
Mrs. Dalton in 338 or Mrs. Snethen in the library.
Cheer Team (new)
Any student who is interested in trying out for the BVN Cheer Team, please complete this google form BVN Cheer Team Candidate Info by Sunday, March 28th. We will be hosting a parent/athlete zoom meeting Tuesday, March 30th at 7:00 p.m.
North Star Dance Team (new)
Anyone interested in trying out for the North Stars Dance Team, please complete the tryout application form. There will be a parent and student meeting on Wednesday, March 31st at 7:00 PM via Zoom. Tryout Application Form . For additional information, please visit the North Stars website! Dance Website
FCA will be meeting on Wednesdays during North Time for 15 minutes via Zoom. Please email Jason Jones, FCA Sponsor, at JJones05@bluevalleyk12.org if you have questions.
BVN Class T-shirts Pickup at The Stampede
All Class Shirts are available for pick-up in The BVN Stampede School Store during business hours: Monday – Friday when school is in session for 15 minutes before school starts and 2:45 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. The store is also open during 5th hour on Odd days.
We have T-shirts for every grade: Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors.
BVN GSA (updated)
GSA will meet on Zoom after school on Wednesdays. For information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org .
KAY-Mustang Community Service Club
Join KAY-Mustang Community Service Club! We have an exciting community service project you can do from home. We are creating BVN Storytime, a read aloud library for K-2 students. We also have a couple of other service possibilities. Click this link to join the club. Click this link , then “enroll in Course” to see the Club’s Canvas page where club news and information is posted. Questions? Contact Club president Tanu @ email@example.com .
News from the BVN Library
The library website is now accessible from all Canvas pages. In the navigation list on the left side you should see Library. Or: Click here to visit the BVN Library website . From the library website, students and staff can now chat with the librarians during school hours. Look in the upper right corner. No question is too big or small!
Student Technology Help
On the Canvas Course card titled BVN Student Hub 2020-2021 there is student support information. After looking at the information in the BVN Student Hub, if you are struggling with technology, there is help.
- If your computer is broken please submit a BVCARE ticket and someone from I.T. will reach out to you. A link to BVCARE can be found on the BVN Student Hub or at www.bluevalleyk12.org / I would like to… / BVCARE- Technology help
- If you are having problems with a specific assignment or course in Canvas, always reach out to your teacher first.
- If you have questions about instructional tools (Canvas, Google Drive, Zoom…) or something is not working the way it should, there is a daily Student Help Zoom during North Time. To access this Zoom, open Canvas / Click on the BVN Student Hub 2020-2021 Course Card / Click on Zoom / Join anytime between 10:40-11:10am on Odd days, and between 12:25-1:20pm on Even days. If you are in the building and need help, you can bring your laptop to the library during North Time for tech help.
Meal Pick-Up Location Change Starting March 22 (new)
Starting on March 22 and going forward, we will offer meal pick-up at two locations only (Blue Valley High and Blue Valley Northwest). Meal pick-up will continue to be held from 11 a.m. to noon on Mondays and Wednesdays for virtual learners. You can find more information on this link Drive-Thru Meal Pick-Up web page .
Mustang Medical Messages
Have a trip planned? 2-26-21 State Quarantine List.pdf
Consider looking over Kansas Travel Exposure Related Isolation & Quarantine Guidelines:
- Attended/traveled to mass gathering events out-of-state of 500 people or greater where individuals do not socially distance (6 feet) and wear masks.
- Been on a cruise ship or river cruise on or after March 15.
- Others needing to continue quarantining: Received notification from public health officials (state or local) that you are a close contact of a laboratory-confirmed case of COVID-19.
- International Travel: Please note that the CDC may have testing or quarantine requirements for individuals traveling back into the United States. Visit their web page for more information.
Free COVID Test resource:
The safety of Blue Valley North students and staff continues to be a top priority. In an effort to keep our school community informed when we have a positive case, families can expect the following:
Families will be contacted directly if through the contact tracing process conducted by the Johnson County Department of Health and Environment (JCDHE) and the district's health professionals' team:
- your child was identified as a low-risk exposure of a student or staff member who tested positive for COVID-19.
- your child was identified as a high-risk exposure/close contact of a student or staff member who tested positive for COVID-19.
- If your child’s proximity to or nature of the interaction with the positive individual did not indicate a low or high-risk exposure, then you will not be contacted.
NOTE: Positive cases by school are reflected on the BV COVID Dashboard. The dashboard is updated every Friday with information from the prior week (Wednesday to Wednesday).
BVEF's Nights of Lights Virtual 10K (new)
Looking for a Fun, Family Activity? Join in BVEF’s Nights of Lights Virtual 10K! Grab your walking shoes! Spring has officially sprung, and with it comes the promise of warmer days, longer hours of sunshine, and a fun opportunity to support BV schools.
The Blue Valley Educational Foundation is thrilled to launch the first Night of Lights Virtual 10K, which is open to ALL members of the community, during the month of April 2021. Proceeds raised will support teacher and classroom grants, district wide initiatives, and a BV Cares fund, which helps meet essential needs of school families.
Night of Lights 10K registration is $30/entry + $5 for additional family members and all members of the community- whether or not they have children in BV schools- are invited to participate between April 3 and April 23, 2021. Your entry fee includes a race medal, bib, LED glow wand, link to a Spotify playlist, and suggestions for area walking/running paths.
Want even more fun!? Register by March 31, 2021 and be entered in a drawing for one of two Garmin Forerunner watches and a ZoomTutor package for your student!
For more information and to register, visit Night of Lights 10K — Blue Valley Educational Foundation (fundbv.org)
New Auxiliary Gym Construction: November through July
Durham Bus Riders
Durham has decided to not use the Hybrid stop times and instead only use the All in School stop times regardless of what learning mode the District is in. If you have questions, please call Durham at 913-681-2492.
Note that it is best to call outside of route times, between 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
PBC Spring Spirit Wear Sale
We are Mustang Proud!
North Notes is a newsletter for the parents and students of Blue Valley North High School. If you have questions, please contact Janet Roush, Assistant to the Principal, at JRoush@bluevalleyk12.org . Thank you!