Banks Trail Middle School
Teamwork, Responsibility, Ambition, Integrity, Leadership
February Follow Up Newsletter
FROM THE PRINCIPAL
Hello Timberwolf Families,
I hope everyone is enjoying a longer weekend. I just wanted to get the word out on a few things in the middle of the month.
Important Happenings at BTMS
- Congratulations to the BTMS Science Olympiads team for placing 4th in the State this weekend.
- Monday, February 20 is President’s Day. Students do not come to school on February 20 and the school will be closed.
- Many thanks to all of the parents who helped make the 8th grade dance a huge success. I believe the 8th graders who attended had an awesome evening.
- The 3rd 9 weeks ends on March 15. With one month left before the quarter ends, please pay attention to Parent Portal. If you have questions about grades, etc., please contact the teachers directly.
- The Foundation for Fort Mill Schools promotes academic excellence in all Fort Mill schools. We are grateful to the Foundation for their efforts to support students and teachers with scholarships and teacher grants. Check out their website
- February 25th- Come supports your BTMS teachers and the entire school district at The Foundation for Fort Mill Schools Chili Cook-off. The event will be at NFHS from 11:00-1:00.
- February 25, our amazing BTMS Chorus will be singing at the Chili Cook-Off.
- Did you know that we have almost 300 students involved in spring sports, academic teams, and the school musical. As you can imagine this can create a traffic headache. We are asking for all after-school events (except track) to have rides pick them up in the front parking lot. Please be careful while driving on school grounds as we have students everywhere preparing for their events.
- Visit our http://btms.fortmillschools.org/ for teacher’s pages, school information, and announcements.
This year, we have subscribed to a monthly newsletter that we hope might be helpful to you as parents of middle school students. In all honesty, many of the articles and suggestions are great, but every once in a while there is an article that may not make sense, so just use what you want and ignore the other information. We would love to hear if this is something you find interesting.
Here is the link to the February edition:
2017-18 School Calendar Feedback
Administration Seeks Input for 2017-2018 Academic Calendar – Please Read and Participate!
Superintendent Dr. Epps discussed the “uniqueness” of the 2017-2018 academic calendar with the Board of Trustees during last Tuesday’s Feb 7th regular board meeting.
As you know, current SC state law requires that the first day of school may not start prior to the third Monday in August. So for the 2017/18 school year that start date would equate to Mon, Aug 21, 2017.
However, there is pending legislation under H.3508 that could grant, if approved, South Carolina school districts a one-time exception to start school 2 days earlier (Thu, Aug 17, 2017) than the current law allows.
So, why the one-time change?
A rare total solar eclipse of the sun will occur on Mon, 21, 2017 and will be viewable in its totality in certain parts of the country, most notably in South Carolina. Click on the following sites for more info: NASA Info orEclipse2017.org. While Fort Mill is not in the direct path of the eclipse, aspects of it will still be observable and will occur around our school dismissal times. Detailed videos can be found of the eclipse's path here.
Our administration has created two calendar drafts and is requesting your feedback. Click on each version/draft to review the PDF (noted below), which can also be viewed via the online survey form.
Version A – Current State Law – HS Exams After Winter Break, With Longer Winter Break. (Please note that completing exams before winter break is not possible for the 2017-2018 school year under the current state law due to the limited number of instructional days).
Version B – Pending H.3508 – HS Exams Prior to Winter Break, With Shorter Winter Break
Provide us with your feedback by CLICKING HERE to access the survey. The survey will remain open until Tue, Feb 28, 2017.
Thank you as always for your interest and for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback.