October 23, 2019
WEEK AT A GLANCE
10/24 Rehearsal Marching Band Practice Field 4:00 PM - 7:00 PM
10/25 Hall Band Marching Band Band Room 7:30 AM - 8:10 AM
10/25 RHS vs. Walton Marching Band Roswell HS 6:00 PM - 11:30 PM
10/25 DEADLINE: order meals for WCI Marching Band Website
10/26 GSU Marching Championships Marching Band Georgia State 7:00 AM - 6:00 PM
10/28 Rehearsal Marching Band Practice Field 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM
10/29 Rehearsal Marching Band Stadium 6:45 PM - 9:15 PM
10/31 Rehearsal Marching Band Practice Field 4:00 PM - 7:00 PM
11/1 RHS @ Woodstock Marching Band Band Room 5:00 PM - 11:00 PM
11/2 White Columns Invitational Marching Band Milton HS 10:00 AM
11/4 & 11/6 Winterguard Auditions Winterguard Band Room 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM
11/8 Senior Picnic Marching Band Band Room 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM
11/11 IDL Auditions All Band Room 4:00 PM - 6:30 PM
11/14 IDL Auditions All Band Room 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM
11/15 DEADLINE: Spring Trip permission slip/first deposit All
MARCHING BAND REMINDERS
HALL BAND ON FRIDAY, 10/25!
FOOTBALL GAME RHS vs. WALTON – 10/25
We're in the home stretch for marching season and have just a few more games! This Friday is a home game against Walton, and we need some parents to help make it a great time for everyone!
Please go to Charms to sign up for these positions:
2 for selling 50/50 raffle tickets
5 for the grill team to help cook burgers and hot dogs
2 to sell Jeep raffle tickets
1 more for pit crew
2 for second half concessions
Thanks to everyone who volunteered this season!
UPCOMING GSU Marching Band Competition – 10/26
The competition day will flow much the same as any other competition (arrive, check-in, warm up, compete, awards, etc.). Due to the GSU football game that evening, the hours of the competitive portion of the day are shifted to morning/afternoon, rather than afternoon/evening.
Georgia State Stadium
(Formerly Turner Field)
755 Hank Aaron Dr., Atlanta, GA 30303
General Admission (unassigned) – $18+ taxes and fees
Standard Seating (assigned) – $25+ taxes and fees
Children 10 and under receive free admission, but still require a ticket. Click here to purchase tickets online: https://music.gsu.edu/about-2/#1569437694162-4aa89327-4de4
General Admission Parking Only (Blue or Gold Lot):
Advanced Ticket Sales (online) – $10
Event Day Sales (on site) – $20
Parking is festival style, first-come, first-served in both Blue or Gold Lot.
ADA parking is located in the Gold Lot.
Online parking sales close on Friday, October 25 at 11:59 p.m.
Please note: Georgia State Stadium has a clear bag policy. You may carry clear bags to hold your belongings that are no larger than 12” X 6” X 12”, 1-Gallon Plastic Freezer Bag, and/or Clutches that are no larger than 4.5” X 6.5”, approximately the size of a hand. Bags larger than 12” x 6” x 12” and all backpacks are prohibited at Georgia State Stadium. Exceptions will be made for those with medical requirements and/or special needs.
RHS Band Schedule for 10/26
6:00 a.m. Band Room Opens
7:00 a.m. Rehearsal
8:00 a.m. Pack Up
8:35 a.m. Depart for GSU
9:35 a.m. Arrive at GSU
10:35 a.m. Warm Up
11:45 a.m. Showtime
2:45 p.m. Awards
3:30 p.m. Student Social
5:00 p.m. Depart
6:00 p.m. Arrive at Roswell
We need pit crew volunteers for the GSU competition. Pit crew volunteers are especially important for competitions because we must get our equipment on and off the field quickly or take a penalty! Here is the link to sign up. Thanks!
FIRE, FOOD, FUN AND FRIENDSHIP – 10/31
To celebrate Halloween, we will be holding a bonfire party after Marching Band practice on 10/31. Students are welcome to stay until 9:00 PM. (Participation is optional.)
Parents: please sign-up to provide some candy and baked goods for the kids. https://www.charmsoffice.com/charms/volunteer.asp?v=4786342
WHITE COLUMNS INVITATIONAL
Join us on November 2nd for the 2019 White Columns Invitational at Milton High School!
Here is the schedule for the day:
11:30 AM-Lunch and Pack
12:30 PM- Meet in Band Room
2:20 PM- Warm Up
3:20 PM- SHOWTIME
11:00 P.M.-Arrive at Roswell
WCI MARCHING BAND COMPETITION MEALS – DUE 10/25
We just learned the specifics about ordering meals for the WCI Competition. If you would like to purchase a boxed lunch for the competition, please visit our web site and select your option.
HURRY! Please make your selection and pay by this Friday, October 25.
On the web site, see Store / Marching Band Store or click on the link below to place your orders: https://www.roswellband.com/store/marching-band-store/
SENIOR PICNIC – 11/8
All marching band seniors and their parents are invited to attend our annual Senior Picnic before the Roswell/Etowah football game (4 PM-6 PM). We’ll have the grill set up for some hot dogs and hamburgers and offer other yummy treats. Come celebrate another amazing marching band season with the Roswell Swarm! (Participation is optional.)
If you DO NOT have a senior graduating this year, we need your help! In order for our senior parents to enjoy the event with their students, please offer to volunteer and assist where needed. Thank you!
CLASSROOM BAND REMINDERS
SPRING BAND TRIP 2020
We are pleased to announce that the Roswell Band has been approved to attend a trip to Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure and Animal Kingdom in Orlando, FL. The Spring Band
Trip will take place March 15-19, 2020.
On this trip, our students will attend a Universal Studios Movie Music Workshop, co-sponsored by the National Education Association for Music Education. Students will learn how film scoring works, learn how sound effects are created and record part of The Lorax soundtrack with the movie.
All band students received a Trip Memo last Friday to take home to their parents and guardians. Permission slips and first deposits are due November 15, 2019. Here is a link to the information:
BAND BOOSTERS UPDATES
12 DAYS TO GO! We are fast approaching the deadline for selling Jeep Raffle tickets. The deadline to turn in all ticket stubs and money to the RHS Front Office is Monday, November 4th. Over 1,900 tickets have been distributed to the membership but are yet to be sold and turned back in. Members are responsible to pay for lost tickets AND/OR tickets not turned in! This is a requirement from Ed Voyles that we must follow in case they get audited.
We are at $29k so far! And we can add another $18k! THIS IS AN ALL BAND FUNDRAISER, NOT JUST A MARCHING BAND FUNDRAISER. WE NEED EVERYBODY IN. The goal is to buy our very own Semi – Trailer, fund our operating budget, and purchase much needed musical instruments and other assets.
- Simply sell or even buy the tickets we gave to you! And do your best to keep on going and achieve your target of 45 tickets. Think of it as 20 this week, plus 25 next week. Email friends, post on social media, go door to door. Share our video https://vimeo.com/361060045 on Facebook. Remember: Sell only to GA residents who are at least 18 years old. And if you need more tickets, wonder how many you have sold online, or have questions, please email email@example.com. We are still giving out prizes (free movies, gaming, coffee and bowling) and will also give away a $300 Grand Prize. Click on link for contest details: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jt0dj98rc3tnhta/AADuCHQoncf2dC3Orr3hg-2Ma?dl=0
- If you wish to OPT-OUT because you are unable to sell tickets, make a payment of $400 and we will issue to you 45 tickets with your name, phone and email on them. Simply do it online via PayPal or PushPay at: https://www.roswellband.com/calendar-events/jeep-raffle/
Want a recap on any of the fundraiser details? Click on link to access our Jeep Raffle Dropbox for FAQ’s, information contests and incentives and tips on how to sell and what to say.
Congratulations to the winners of our Weekly Student Incentives! We will continue to hold weekly drawings through November 8. For every 10 ticket stubs turned in, the student’s name goes into the drawing.
Week 1 – Brianna Jones
Week 2 – Nikki Burkhart
Week 3 - Leah Taylor
Week 4 – Carlo Dal Cerro
Week 5 – Josh Cordero
Week 6 – Matt Hartigan
Week 7 – Bradley Willis
We can do this! This is for all of our kids. Let’s make a legacy for the biggest fundraiser in our program’s history!
NOMINATING COMMITTEE NEEDED FOR 2020 BOARD
We are seeking two or three parent volunteers to serve on this year’s Nominating Committee to help place our new Executive Board for 2020. If you would like to help and/or know of someone who would be a good nominee that may like to serve on next year’s Executive Board, reach out to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The committee will only operate until a slate for the Executive Board for 2020 is completed. (Estimated time you would serve on the Nominating Committee is 1-2 months.)
The Nominating Committee is traditionally made up of general association members (non-Executive Board) who provide a short list of active members interested in running for the Executive Board.
Nominations will be reviewed at the November Executive Board meeting scheduled for 11/11.
· 11/1 - RHS @ Woodstock @ 5:00 PM
· 11/2 - White Columns Invitational (Milton HS) @ 10:00 AM
· 11/7 - Marching Band Rehearsal @ 4:00 PM
· 11/8 - Hall Band @ 7:30 AM
· 11/8 - Senior Picnic @ 4:00 PM
· 11/8 - RHS vs. Etowah (Senior Night) @ 6:00 PM
· 11/11 – Indoor Drumline Auditions @ 4:00 PM
· 11/11 – RHS BBA Executive Board Meeting @ 7:00 PM
· 11/14 - Marching Band Rehearsal @ 4:00 PM*
· 11/14 – Indoor Drumline Auditions @ 5:00 PM
· 11/15 – Deadline for Spring Trip (permission slip, first deposit)
· 11/15 - Football Post-Season Games (TBD) @ 5:00 PM
· 11/18 - Fulton County Honor Band (Centennial HS)
· 11/19 - Fulton County Honor Band (Centennial HS)
· 11/20 - Concert Band Rehearsal @ 4:00 PM
· 11/21 - Marching Band Rehearsal @ 4:00*
· 11/22 - Football Post-Season Games (TBD) @ 5:00 PM
· 11/25 - Thanksgiving Break begins
· 12/4 - Concert Band Rehearsal @ 4:00 PM
· 12/5 - Marching Band Rehearsal @ 4:00 PM*
· 12/5 - Winter Concert @ 7:00 PM
· 12/6 - Football Post-Season Games (TBD) @ 5:00 PM
· 12/12 - Marching Band Rehearsal @ 4:00 PM*
· 12/13 - Football Post-Season Games (TBD) @ 5:00 PM
· 12/14 - All State 1st Round Auditions/District Honor Band (Alpharetta HS)
· 12/21 - Movie at Aurora @ 12:00 p.m. “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker”
· 12/23 - Holiday Break Begins
* for post-season football games