October Update for GMS Families
Gettys Middle School - Easley, SC
Gettys Middle School Students Excel
Gettys Middle School students excelled as they headed back to our classrooms for the first two weeks of school that included face-to-face instruction for the first time since March 2020. Our students have already achieved some noteworthy results after the first two weeks of school:
- GMS students are showing excellent behavior! Our discipline referrals decreased 80% for the same time period of face-to-face instruction from the prior school year.
- Our students are reading more than ever! Thanks to Mrs. Connell, Media Specialist, and Destiny on Demand, our media center circulations increased by more than 150 books for the same period from last year in the first two weeks of school! We had over 422 print books delivered and 1,161 eBook circulations for a total of 1,583 in the first two weeks of school alone! To-date we have delivered over 835 books to students. Students use the Destiny on Demand App to select and order their book of choice, then Mrs. Connell and Mrs. Roe, Media Clerk, go to work filling our delivery cart with the students' selections and they deliver them personally to each student during lunch. Students return the books to our book drops in each grade level hallway. Reading students become smart students!
COVID-19 may have presented challenges in social distancing or in student cohorts but our students have exceeded our expectations and have already outperformed results from the prior school year! We are proud of our students and staff for producing these results!
STEM Programs at GMS Win National Award
Our STEM Programs have been recognized as a Project Lead The Way (PLTW) Distinguished School for the third year in a row providing broad access to transformative learning opportunities for students through PLTW Gateway. We are just one of just 176 middle schools across the U.S. to receive this honor. The PLTW Distinguished School recognition honors schools committed to increasing student access, engagement, and achievement in their PLTW programs. Through PLTW programs, students develop STEM knowledge as well as in-demand, transportable skills that they will use both in school and for the rest of their lives, on any career path they take. PLTW Gateway empowers students to lead their own discovery and uncover a range of paths and possibilities they can look forward to in high school and beyond. “It is a great honor to recognize Richard H. Gettys Middle School for their commitment to providing students with an excellent educational experience,” said Dr. Vince Bertram, President and CEO of PLTW. “They should be very proud of their work to ensure students have the knowledge and skills to be career ready and successful on any career path they choose.”
Enter repair information into the Google Form and Mrs. Nelson will meet with you at school and escort you to the Tech Support Room for additional information and service.
Charter Relaunches Free 60-Day Spectrum Internet & WiFi Offer to Help Connect New Households.
594 GMS Students Completed a High School Course Last Year
Attendance and Student Responsibility During Remote Weeks
Students are responsible for daily attendance each period during remote learning weeks. They are also responsible for completing all assignments. According to attendance guidelines from the South Carolina Department of Education, a student is marked present only if he/she meets one of the below criteria:
- Attends the live Webex with the teacher.
- Views the recorded Webex & completes a verification activity assigned by the teacher.
- Completes the teacher-assigned activities by the deadlines posted.
SDPC has posted the Remote Learning Expectations information for students and families HERE.
Please review this student agenda and handbook with your child.
After-School Program Gettys U Has Begun and Is Accepting Applications
It is important that all families sign up for Schoology on their computer or the app for their phones. You can have access to daily grades, upcoming assignments and information from teachers. This is a great resource!
PSAT Available For 8th Grade Students To Take at GMS October 14
We have reduced capacity for all athletic events with required social distancing of 6 feet for the safety of all in attendance. The best way to secure a ticket for the big game is to purchase in advance of your contest.
GETTYS CALENDAR OF EVENTS
- 9/28 Volleyball Home vs Glenview starting 5:30 pm
- 9/30 Volleyball Away vs Seneca
- 10/1 Football Home vs Liberty Middle School starting 5:30 pm
- 10/5 Volleyball Away at RCE
- 10/7 Volleyball Away at McCants
- 10/8 Picture Day
- 10/8 Football Home vs Pickens Middle 5:30
- 10/12 Volleyball Home vs Robert Anderson
- 10/14 PSAT given at GMS during the AM (Face-to-Face students and Virtual Academy)
- 10/14 Volleyball Away at Glenview
- 10/15 Football Home vs McCants
- 10/19 Volleyball Home vs Seneca
- 10/21 Volleyball Home vs RCE
- 10/21 Football Away at Robert Anderson
- 10/26 Spirit Week Begins and runs through 10/30
- 10/29 Football Home vs Glenview