Haas Elementary Staff Bulletin
April 2015 Vol. 2
Early Release Wednesday
Request for Staff Input
- Identify the concerns/issues that you believe should be addressed by the school improvement team.
- Identify your top 3-5 professional development needs.
Everything is on the table and open for discussion, with the following expectations:
- Concerns must be specific to programs/procedures - not specific to any individuals.
- Concerns must be accompanied by potential, plausible solutions.
Last fall, Mr. Green met with a group of teachers representing each grade level. I would like to re-convene this group to review all collected concerns and determine the best way to address them. Some elements will likely be included in the School Improvement Plan update for next year; others may be addressed outside the scope of the formal plan.
Please submit your grade level team/department concerns and professional development needs electronically by the end of the day on Friday, May 1st.
Book Study Chapter 4
- Look at the descriptions of struggling readers and developing readers on pages 105-106. Put a check next to each element of the description that is true in your classroom. (Are struggling readers asked more often to read aloud?) If your reading instruction mimics what researchers have found as distinguishing the lessons offered to good and struggling readers, select one aspect that you could alter. Can you bring the reading lessons you offer to good and struggling readers closer together? Would someone be able to tell who was a good reader and who was not just by observing your teaching?
- Try using the Pause-Prompt-Praise strategy when working with your struggling readers. Use it for three consecutive days. Do you see any changes in the struggling readers behaviors?
M-STEP Testing/Prep Continues
Of note, 5th grade attendance was great - there are only two 5th grade students who have assessments to make up from last week. Keep emphasizing the importance of being in attendance for the initial testing day!
The formal M-STEP informational letter will go out to 4th grade parents this week. I will also meet with 4th grade students for their "test talks" prior to the beginning of the 4th grade testing window, which opens on Tuesday, April 28th.
If you are looking for additional practice materials and have not yet used the Smarter Balanced materials, here is a link to them:
Additional Upcoming Dates to Remember
Tuesday, April 21 PBIS Committee Meeting @ 3:30
Thursday, April 23 PTO Fundraiser @ 3:00 - 9:00, Chuck E Cheese (Miller Road)
Monday, April 27 Teachers in the Park Planning Meeting @ 3:30, Title I Room
Wednesday, April 29 Book Study (Chapter 4) @ 3:30