Culver Elementary September 2016
---------------From the Desk of Mrs. Proskey--------------
Welcome Back to a New School Year!!!
I would like to welcome you and your child to Culver Elementary School. Our school is full of knowledge, enthusiasm, creativity, rigor, support and encouragement. Our dedicated teaching staff and support personnel strive to provide for each student’s individual needs. We encourage your support and assistance throughout the school year so that your child will have a successful and rewarding experience here at CES.
We always encourage parents to be a positive partner in their children’s education. Make it known to your child that you value education. Let your child see you supporting his or her endeavors here at school by attending programs, volunteering to be a chaperone on field trips, helping out with classroom activities, or most importantly, talking to your child about school and the importance of it.
It is a pleasure to have you as a member of our Culver family. We are looking forward to working with each and every one of you, as we embrace the new school year. We strive to continue to build on the tradition of academic excellence and provide each child with a positive learning experience.
This upcoming year brings some new and exciting changes to Culver Elementary School:
Mrs. Risner will be the Media Specialist/Librarian.
Mrs. Smith will be teaching general music.
Mrs. Berndt will be teaching gym.
Ms. Claxon will be our new third grade teacher.
Ms. Surma will be our new second grade teacher.
Mrs. Coldiron will be our new School Counselor/Dean of Students.
Mrs. Baker will be our new Title I assistant.If you have any questions, please contact me. :)
NWEA Assessment Parent Information
As a district, CCSC will be transitioning to a new formative assessment with NWEA. While our previous formative assessment (Acuity) provided some meaningful information on student learning, they did not have the ability to show student growth like NWEA will provide.
During the week on September 19, 2016, your child will take tests called Measures of Academic Progress (MAP). We give students MAP tests to determine their instructional level and to measure academic growth throughout the school year, and from year to year in the areas of Reading, Language Arts and Mathematics. Your child will take the tests on a computer or iPad.
MAP tests are unique in that they adapt to be appropriate for your child’s level of learning. As a result, each student has the same opportunity to succeed and maintain a positive attitude toward testing. And with MAP tests, we can administer shorter tests and use less class time while still receiving detailed accurate information about your child’s growth. Over the testing period, you child will spend a total of about 2- 2 ½ hours completing these tests over two days.
Each school year, students in grades 3-6 will take the tests in the Fall, Winter and Spring. Following each testing period you will receive a report showing your child’s growth.
We are excited to use this new assessment tool that will track every student’s individual growth and achievement over the years to come.
For more information on resources for parents, please click on the Parent Toolkit below.
Special Meetings/ Activities/ Dates
- Student of the Month Luncheon @ Cafe max
- Labor Day- No School
- 7:00pm Board Meeting
- 6:00pm PTO Meeting
- 6:00pm Title I Parent meeting
- 4th Grade Field Trip to Doris Smith Farm
- Student Council Meeting in the Pit 7:45am-8:15am
- Picture Day
- 3rd grade to Plymouth for AG Day
- No Students (Teacher Professional Development)
- 7:00pm Board Meeting
- Vision Exams 3rd/5th grade
- 1st Grade Trip to Apple Orchard
- 1st grade trip to Ancilla "Walk into My Future"
- Kindergarten trip to Ancilla "Walk into My Future"
By pressing this button, you can view the official Culver Elementary School Webpage, where you can view official documents (the breakfast & lunch menu) and links to the Middle School and High School.
Kindergarten - 5th Grade Volleyball Practice
Where: CES Gym
9/03 K-2 from 10-11 & 3-5 from 11-12
9/08 K-2 from 3:00-4:15
9/12 3-5 from 3:00-4:15
9/15 HS Recognition Night for Elementary Girls
9/17 K-2 from 10-11 & 3-5 from 11-12
9/19 3-5 from 3:00-4:15
9/24 K-2 from 10-11 & 3-5 from 11-12
9/28 3-5 from 3:00-4:15
10/1 K-2 from 10-11 & 3-5 from 11-12
August Students of the Month
Weather Alerts and Notifications/ Notifying the Office when your Child is Sick
- Please make sure that your child leaves the house appropriately dressed for the weather. We still go outside for recess even when it is pretty chilly outside.
- Do not drop your children off at the front door prior to 7:30. The doors do not get unlocked until the assistant gets there at 7:30.
- If the weather looks like it may be too treacherous for school, please check WNDU, WSBT, or FOX22 for closings or school delays. WROI and WXVI will also be informed of closings and delays. You may also check Culver Elementary's Facebook Page. www.facebook.com/culver.elementary.school (go to the link on this page and "like" our page).
- If your child is absent please call Karen Sndyer at 574-842-3389 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Also remember if your child has a fever, they have to be 24 hours fever free before they come back to school. You never know when that fever may spike back up!
Culver Boys and Girls Club
Asst. Director- Mrs. Criston Zehner
Phone Number- 574-250-0103
Fee- $25.00 Per Year (After School) / Field Trips Extra / Daily Rate
Open- 3:00-7:00 after school / Summer (Other days as determined by Director)
During the summer of 2016, families and children read 1,000,000 books using myON. This year, the Department is encouraging students to use myON to read 2,000,000 books to celebrate Indiana's 200th birthday in 2016!
Culver Communtity Schools Corporation Mission Statement
Culver Community Schools Corporation Vision Statement
Culver Community Schools Corporation Belief Statements
- We believe students, with support from community, family, and educators, will rise to the level of expectations.
- We believe a well-rounded education at CCSC will foster emotional and intellectual development along with respectful, pro-active communication, in a positive, nurturing, learning environment.
- We believe that every student at CCSC is a potential leader given proper mentoring.
- We believe the definition of success is unique to every student.