in Food & Nutrition Services
VOLUME 5, ISSUE 6, JANUARY 2018 NEWSLETTER
National School Lunch Week Winners.... to be Announced!
Due to the inclement weather, which canceled the January In Service, winners for the 2017-2018 National School Lunch Week will announced at a later date. Stay tuned!
We Want Student Feedback!
Focus Groups are being conducted at all secondary schools to gather student feedback and test new products! One in-person focus group & 2 - 3 groups of student surveys are completed per year at each school. Encourage students to tell us how we're doing and what they'd like to eat for breakfast & lunch!
January Safety Tip
Fresh figs add a unique twist to this crowd pleasing dip.
2 Hass avocados, cubed
3 fresh Black Mission or Calimyrna figs, diced
¼ cup finely chopped Spanish onion
1 plum tomato, seeds removed, finely diced (optional)
1 small jalapeno pepper (with seeds), minced
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Juice of 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons)
1 small clove garlic, minced
⅛ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- In medium bowl, add avocado, figs, onion, tomato (if using), jalapeno pepper, cilantro, lime juice, garlic and cumin. Stir until just combined. Add salt to taste.
- Serve with blue corn tortilla chips.
This recipe calls for fresh, diced figs. But another tasty option is to cut the three fresh figs in half, grill until marks form, then dice; it adds another layer of flavor.
Serving size: 3 tablespoons
Calories: 90; Total fat: 7g; Saturated fat: 1g; Trans fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 150mg; Total carbohydrate: 8g; Dietary fiber: 4g; Sugars: 3g; Protein: 1g; Vitamin A: 2%; Vitamin C: 10%; Calcium: 2%; Iron: 2%
- JANUARY 6TH: Employee Exercise Challenge: Resolution 5K Run/Walk-Orange Park Dog Track
- JANUARY 15TH: Martin Luther King Day Holiday
- JANUARY 22ND-26TH: Elementary Literacy Week
- JANUARY 31ST: 100th Day of School
- FEBRUARY: National Heart Health Month
- FEBRUARY 2ND: National Wear Red Day-Wear Red to Celebrate a Healthy Heart!
- FEBRUARY 7TH: Elementary Early Dismissal
- FEBRUARY 14TH: Valentine's Day
- FEBRUARY 19TH: Presidents' Day Holiday