LEARNING NEW SKILLS
Word Press- Join the World Wide Web
ADVANCE YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
As we prepare for the future, it is important to “begin with the end in mind” or plan and prioritize our short term professional goals with our long term professional goals in mind. It may be beneficial for anyone in today's marketplace to learn about technological tools that could assist them in communicating with the world or expressing their ideas, should they choose to do so.
Many of us are familiar with face book, twitter, you tube, e-mail, blogging, browsing and a long list of other technological terms and tools. As we continue to grow our professional skill set it would be helpful to learn how to build our own website.
To build a website, many people use Word Press, which is very popular, easy to use and best of all, it’s free!
Word Press, founded by Matt Mullenweg and Mike Little in 2003, began as a free open source and blogging tool back in 2003. Today, Word Press remains free and has developed into the most popular content management and blogging system in use on the world-wide web, with more than 60 million users. Features include a plugin architecture and a template system that is used by more than 23% of the top 10 million websites, as of January 2015. (Wikipedia)
Over the course of this semester, you will build a simple website with the theme “People of the World: Different yet the same”. You are required to;
- Create the home page and three additional pages that can be accessed from the home page
- Embed a slideshow that supports you theme
- Embed a video that supports you theme (can be an existing You Tube video or one you create)
- Display anything else to support your theme
- Post a blog every week and reply to your class partners blog once every week
The objectives of this assignment are;
- Develop your academic/ professional skills by learning Word Press, which can be used for many different purposes throughout your personal and professional career
- Develop online community by sharing your website with classmates, commenting on your classmates’ blog and sharing ideas.
You can begin this assignment by downloading Word Press from the following website (https://wordpress.org/download/). There are many, many tutorials on how to use the different features available in Word Press, many of which can be found by clicking the following link (http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Lessons). You can also find many great You Tube videos that are very helpful in guiding you through Word Press. I think that you will find it very easy to use. Good Luck and please e-mail me at email@example.com with any questions going forward.